How Much Do You Spend Per Month ?

YoungFarangNa

How Much do you spend  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

some people got mad at me in another thread when i said i spend 100k baht a month on average. i didnt really think this figure was very high and would expect many farang spend more than that (someone has to be renting those pent house condos).

so two questions

1. how much do you spend per month?

2. why do people get angry when you say that you spend a certain amount?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some people got mad at me in another thread when i said i spend 100k baht a month on average. i didnt really think this figure was very high and would expect many farang spend more than that (someone has to be renting those pent house condos).

so two questions

If you've ever watched "Broken News" on BBC they have an item called 'Look East' and in that item the catch phrase is: "You'd better not go there"

So my advice to you is:"You'd better not go there", or you may invoke the wrath of the combined multitudes of posters from all Farang/Thailand internet Forums known in this world.. and the next. :D

I got out with my sanity still in tact (barely) - you may not be so lucky :o

Beer per day - 120 Baht

Food per day - 150 Baht

Bribes per day - 100 Baht

Starting another pointless thread on TV - Priceless.

(please substitute the word worthless for priceless as required)

Are you insinuating that most of the other threads on the General Forum actually have a point to them ?? :o

so two questions

With housing, utilities, car and telephone for free, I still manage to spend over 100k per month in Thailand. A lot of it goes to dining out (farang food and wine), golf, weekends away,gadgets and this does not include any GF allowances. I do frequent massage places of all types a couple of times a month and go out with friends at least once a week.

I don't keep track of my expenses, but do not think I am spending that much. To live here (BKK) comfortably you need a lot more than a 100k if you pay accom etc. yourself!!!

Here's how I imagine I'd live (baht):

Food and beverage:

Food: 20/day

Drink: 50/day (milk, water, M150)

Vitamins: 10/day

Protein Suppliments: 30/day

Vehicle (I'm currently driving a 2008 Honda CR-V, payed 100% upfront):

Reliable insurance: ???

Gasoline: 20/day (self-employed at home and there's nowhere to go in Mae Sai)

Housing/work costs:

Rent: Free, going to stay in our vacation house if my mother can convince my father to allow it. Otherwise, it's still free, but I'll have to stay with a relative.

Internet (high-speed): Free

Recreation:

Exercise: Free after initial deposit (Does THB 300 thousand sound about right for a bench press, leg press and treadmill?)

Condoms: Haha, not really (Boo!, I know :o )

Total (THB):

130/day or 3900/month without insurance plan, but I have an unfair advantage with free housing/electricity and all

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to know, my father's spending (for himself and the other 5 in the immediate family) when we're in Thailand amounts to around THB 400 thousand/month (not including the vacation house and people he's put through college).

For a family of 6, THB 400 thousand/month really isn't that unreasonable. Food and housing may be cheaper, but clothing and luxuries (non-personnel) are the same or more.

I don't even spend half of that amount living in San Francisco California. You can always spend any amount of money anywhere in the world. The real challenge is keeping costs down. So if you want to spend 100k a month and can afford it good for you. I'm much more interested in someone spending 30K a month and living well.

I don't even spend half of that amount living in San Francisco California. You can always spend any amount of money anywhere in the world. The real challenge is keeping costs down. So if you want to spend 100k a month and can afford it good for you. I'm much more interested in someone spending 30K a month and living well.

It can be done.

http://tenderloin.net/images/beggarsign.jpg

130/day or 3900/month without insurance plan, but I have an unfair advantage with free housing/electricity and all

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be dead and buried within 3 weeks........... :D

No idea who would have to pay for the funeral though, but not me... :o

LaoPo

so two questions

I don't know why your previous thread got flamed. I started to answer it and then noticed it was "closed." So I'll give you my comparison between living in the USA and living in Thailand. I'm in a rather unique position to comment on it since I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico, for six months of the year and Bangkok the other six months. Santa Fe is on the high end of the cost of living scale in the USA, primarily because the city became "Californicated" a number of years ago. A number of Hollywood types live there, including Steven Spielburg, Jane Fonda and Shirley MacLaine. The Californians drove the property prices up so the average home in Santa Fe is now selling about about $425,000. My Thai partner and I spend about $4,000 a month living in Santa Fe. We have a 2,000 square foot house on a large lot just north of Santa Fe. The home is free and clear as is our car. When we are in Bangkok, we rent out the home to short-term renters for $2,400 a month furnished. We could get more but we do a thorough vetting of our renters to avoid headaches while we are overseas. So my expenses really cover utilities, gas for the car, food, and entertainment. We go out to dinner an average of three times a week and I like expensive Scotch. My partner does not spend much money and her tastes in clothing and jewelry are very modest, which is fortunate because you can spend a fortune on clothes and jewelry here.

In Bangkok, we have a nice full-service condo in the Rama IV area. We go out for dinner about 3-4 nights a week, usually at local restaurants. We don't bar-hop. We occasionally entertain. We don't own a car in Bkk, preferring to use public transportation or a taxi. Our expenses average about 60,000 baht a month.

Since I'm a double-dipping retiree (military and U.S. law enforcement), we have $4,800 USD in secure monthly income. Add the $2,400 in rent we get from our U.S. home, and we are at $7,200 USD per month. In addition, I do consulting and training under several government contracts and with private firms. I also have a substantial investment portfolio but we roll-over the income from our stocks and bonds to increase our investment wealth and also to have money on hand in case of a health emergency.

Those are a lot of numbers to digest, but that gives you an idea of my income and my overall expenses. Obviously we could live well beyond the 100,000 baht level you talk about. But why? We are very happy with our lifestyle.

i spend 500 Baht a month. 150 for a haircut (tip included) and 350 for manicure and pedicure (tip included). otherwise no expenditure at all.

Dr. Naam, you are my hero. :D

did i mention that my wife does all the spending? :o

i spend 500 Baht a month. 150 for a haircut (tip included) and 350 for manicure and pedicure (tip included). otherwise no expenditure at all.

No, but I assumed it. :D I think my partner still has the first satang she ever made.

Edited by farang prince

The cost of my haircuts has gone up. It was 20 baht and is now 25 baht. I go to my favorite watering hole about once a week. A big bottle of Archa beer costs 30 baht there and I normally drink three bottles. If I am in a festive mood I will drink four bottles. I used to get a haircut once a month but since the price has gone up, I get it cut every five weeks. I reckon for a month I have change left over from 500 baht. I almost forgot, sometimes I run out of cigarettes when I am drinking so I must buy a pack there. That adds another 46 baht so there is no change left from my 500 baht. That's how much I spend.

Edited by Gary A

:o

hey.. good for you!

its your money..do what you like!!! :D

I budget $5,000 a month to live in Bangkok. That is about Bt170,000 at the current exchange rate. It recently was Bt200,000 but with the failing USD and the strengthening Baht I've had to cut my expenses. My GF does not like that one bit.