Browsers Again

Gary A

The past year or so I have tried most browsers that are available. The one I liked the most was Fire Fox but whether it is Fire Fox or my computer, it is so buggy that I just can't use it. Since I gave up on it I have been using SeaMonkey. It manipulates text the way I want and does everything pretty well. Unfortunately it has started to hang up once in a while and that is irritating to say the least. IE Pro has made IE 7 work pretty well but it is slow and I can't get the text size the way I want it on some sites, Thai Visa being one of them. I hated Safari and the latest Netscape is not that great either. I kept seeing Flock but it looked to be specialized for photos, blogs and U tube so I passed on it until yesterday. I am amazed that it is VERY easily customized and now looks exactly what I want it to look like. Tool bars are easily changed and most of my favorites fit on a bar. Maybe the best part is that the Fire Fox add ons I use all work fine. The spell check is great, the only site it scrambles a little is Citibank and that is the only site I use IE Tab for. Even Bank Of America works with no problems. It's the only browser other than IE 7 that doesn't scramble Hotmail.

I wonder if people will Flock to use it? :o

I can't say that I understand why those people spend so much time working on something that is free. Obviously someone has spent a LOT of time building Flock. I would guess the basic browser was taken from Mozilla but there are MANY different features that Fire Fox doesn't have. So far I can't find any problems at all. As long as it doesn't get buggy or start freezing, I'll certainly keep it.

Opera 9.24 has an EI7 mode and skin.  I use it in linux and win.  most sites can't tell. I Use it at BOA citi, and hotmail never a problem.  Love the built in downloader and torrents.  win version has vioce commands and reads text kind of cool, but don't use it that much.  I use firefox when it comes up by defaults in some linux programs its no bother to me works just fine.  I sometimes have a word wrap problem at TV site, but it happens in various browsers so its a java thing I think.

How can I make Flock, or FireFox look like IE?

My company does not like other browsers, only IE. :D

The 'Looks Familiar' theme should be enough to get them to leave you alone. Unless they notice the tabs. :o John Haller, the creator of PortableApps.com, has taken things even further here.

There's other themes to mimic IE7 as well.

Edited by Veazer

Opera 9.24 has an EI7 mode and skin.  I use it in linux and win.  most sites can't tell. I Use it at BOA citi, and hotmail never a problem.  Love the built in downloader and torrents.  win version has vioce commands and reads text kind of cool, but don't use it that much.  I use firefox when it comes up by defaults in some linux programs its no bother to me works just fine.  I sometimes have a word wrap problem at TV site, but it happens in various browsers so its a java thing I think.

With you all the way! I will NEVER use another web browser again - I've been using Opera for about 4 years and it kicks all the competitions <deleted>.

If it wasn't for Opera you wouldn't have Tabbed browsing. Opera has been tabbed windows for about 4 years - everyone has eventually copied them.

There is a very few sites that won't work with it. Well that is unless the site has been 'developed' with Frontpage and uses total microsoft html extensions.

Opera rules! :o