Bangkok Film Festival Kicks Off With Epic And Awards

george

World Film Fest kicks off with epic and awards

BANGKOK: -- The 5th World Film Festival of Bangkok kicked off yesterday with the Southeast Asian premiere of the big-budget Mongolian-Japanese epic "Genghis Khan: To the Ends of the Earth and Sea" at the Esplanade Cineplex on Ratchadaphisek Road.

"I'm glad to have my film open here at the festival. It will promote the relationship of Mongolia, Japan and Thailand and help to promote Asian films," said Japanese director Shinchiro Sawai, 69.

With a budget of US$20 million (Bt680 million), "Genghis Khan" is a sweeping historical tale that follows the life and conquests of the great Mongol leader. Starring Japan's Takashi Sorimachi and South Korean actress Go Ah-ra, most of the film was shot in Mongolia and produced to celebrate the 800th jubilee of the Mongol State and the national hero.

The festival also paid tribute to veteran Thai director Euthana Mukdasanit with a Lotus award for lifetime achievement. His landmark drama "Butterfly and Flowers" (1985) will be re-screened on Sunday. Set in the Muslim-majority Thai south, the film is based on a popular novel by Nipphan and is part of the festival's "From Book to Celluloid" programme.

"I'm so proud of this award because it reflects my hard work in making films. My whole life has been devoted to the Thai cinema and this award will encourage the industry," said Euthana, adding, "and world film festivals help develop the interest in films in general."

The organisers also paid tribute to the multi-talented Taiwanese actress, director, screenwriter and producer Sylvia Chang for her 30 years in the film industry with a retrospective. Chang will tonight talk to audiences before the screening of her 1977 "Dream of the Red Chamber" at the Esplanade.

The opening ceremony was attended by more than 1,000 people, among them dozens of diplomats from the European Union - the EU annual festival is part of the Bangkok event this year.

Organised by Nation Multimedia Group, the 11-day festival features more than 80 films from over 30 countries. The programme is divided into seven categories: European Union films, World Cinema, Asian Contemporary, Documentaries, Short Films, Retrospective and Tribute.

Ten films from Argentina, Austria, Israel/France, Japan, Netherlands, Singapore, Taiwan, Turkey and the US have been selected for the "Harvest of Talents" competition. Awards will be presented on November 3.

The festival continues until November 4. Visit www.worldfilmbkk.com for more information.

--The Nation 2007-10-26