Check Into Immigration 24 Hours After Returning

I did not know this. If you are a frang, and living in Thailand, and say you leave to visit Vietnam, or Cambodia (or anywhere else for that matter), you must with in 24 hours upon returning, check into a Immigration office here in Thailand, to let them know you have returned. If after the 24 hours period, you do this, there is a 800 baht fine for being late. I've heard this has been on the ever changing law books now for 2 months.

Anybody else hear about this? Or am I the last of the frang stragglers to know of this law change? :o

I came across this last year in Korat, it is not you that has to report to the Immigration it is the owner of the property where you stay.

So in a nut shell if you enter the country and stay at a private address the registered owner of that property has to report to the Immigration or local police within 24 hours to tell them a farang is living there, failure to do so will result in a fine between 800 and 1600 baht.

This law has been in place for many years and owners of hotels etc have to report every time a foreigner stays at there hotel which is why you have to fill in card with passport and immigration card details.

I came across this last year in Korat, it is not you that has to report to the Immigration it is the owner of the property where you stay.

So in a nut shell if you enter the country and stay at a private address the registered owner of that property has to report to the Immigration or local police within 24 hours to tell them a farang is living there, failure to do so will result in a fine between 800 and 1600 baht.

This law has been in place for many years and owners of hotels etc have to report every time a foreigner stays at there hotel which is why you have to fill in card with passport and immigration card details.

So, do you guys know if this also applies to us guys whose spouses own the house we live in? I never went out of Thailand for 33 years, but finally did a few years ago to go with the Thai National Lawn Bowls team to challenge the Philippines team. I like to keep my record clean and would like to know if it applies to my own house where I live? :o Does my wife have to report me returning? TIA

I did not know this. If you are a frang, and living in Thailand, and say you leave to visit Vietnam, or Cambodia (or anywhere else for that matter), you must with in 24 hours upon returning, check into a Immigration office here in Thailand, to let them know you have returned. If after the 24 hours period, you do this, there is a 800 baht fine for being late. I've heard this has been on the ever changing law books now for 2 months.

Anybody else hear about this? Or am I the last of the frang stragglers to know of this law change? :D

if it is true, think for one moment of the human resources that would be required to enforce

it :o they would never be able to keep up with the steady stream of people who

are failing to comply?

True, there are laws that accommodation owners must report foreigners to immigration. But the OP says we must report ourselves. No way! You report yourself when you get stamped in at immigration entry points.

Edited by Jingthing

True, there are laws that accommodation owners must report foreigners to immigration. But the OP says we must report ourselves. No way! You report yourself when you get stamped in at immigration entry points.

never heard of this rule before .

yep same same, they are cracking down on the hotels though, they had a big meeting in pattaya about a month ago for hotel reception staff! to try and train in into i think they now do it by email?

IME On a personal level you reported to Immigration when you filled in the TM card at the border.

You only need to tell them again, every 90 days, or if you move to a new location.

However the Immigration Act Section 37.3

does state that you should report to the local police station within 24 hours of arrival.

I am not sure that the local police will know how to deal with this, or even care.

It is correct that your landlord should report everytime you return from overseas.

Immigration Act section 38.

Good hotels will do this automatically, that is why they ask to see your passport and TM card.

For private landlords this is more honoured in the breach than in the observance,

but he/she could be caught out by an officious Imm officer.

My wife has been fined over this. :o

This has subject has come up before.

Most private home owners that have farangs living there are in breach, and although immigration are turning a 'blind eye' it is not a satisfactory situation.

Speaking personally I would rather stay 100% within the law if it is possible.

The question arises as to who should report me living in my house? The land deeds are in my wife's name, but I have a lifetime usufruct, which means I am the de facto owner/occupier until I die.

So do I report myself as residing in my property, or does my wife?

The same goes for anyone who either owns or rents property. Who is liable to make the report to immigration?

Any thoughts? :o

Edited by Mobi

whatever the law is - no authority bothers about it, so you should take it easy

Thats right , especially when you're staying countryside .

If me or my wife is wrong , if it does happen we will eventually find out ,

how on earth does a local landowner who accidentaly rents to a foreigner

should know about immigration laws or reporting ?

I wonder if they will give the fine the first time caught , they probably

will give a warning and tell them that in law it should be that way ,

and after they will report it .

Thai officials are not too bad in my experience , they will tell you

to do so next time , most people can't afford a misstep and they

most of the time let it go ........

At my first application for a 1-year extension of stay, my wife was asked if she had made that 24 hour report. She hadn't, so she was told to do so right then. No problem, no fine and no problem for the application once they had that report on file.

However, that was two years ago. It seems that nowadays they're getting pretty much more demanding with respect to documents. If no 24 hour report has ever been filed for you at the the address you write on you application - there'll be one document missing in your paper trail ... Do you feel lucky enough not to bother about having that report done, well in advance of applying for an extension of stayl?

Terminology is important. Falang must report every 90 days and whenever they move their residence. When you move into your permanent residence, whether renting, with wife, or whatever, there is a requirement that your presence in the household be reported, whether it is enforced or not doesn't change the requirement. It is the landlord who must report it and of course you have reported your move to a new residence as well.

When you go overseas to visit, your residence remains as reported by you and originally by your landlord, so I doubt another report is required once the original report is made within 24 hours of your original move in.

As we all know, we report our return to Thailand to immigration upon arrival so no additional report is required for long stays until 90 days from re-entry as long as your residence remains the same as before. Since you have not changed your residence or moved out, your landlord has no requirement to report your comings and going.

Clearly, if you move before your 90 day report is due, your supposed to inform immigration as is your new landlord, but as noted, not normally enforced.

We heard this from a friend (we hope) who is a Immigration officer here in Hau Hin, they said it is a new law, been on the books for 2 months now (about). After reading everyones reply in here, I'm starting to have my suspicions of this myself. For one thing how would the local offic here even know if you went out of the country in the first place, if you have a multiple re-enty visa already set up? I really feel it is just another way to pocket money from the already (very) confused frangs.

My opinion is that there are way too many new BS rules going on with dealing with the frangs in this country, (all wanting more money!), they want our money, but don't want us here, just all the confusing rules and regulations are proving that.

Why and the hel_l can't things be a little more simplified, guess they just want to keep us all in a state of confusion, to milk us dry, then it's good-bye. :o

Edited by Pundi64

Anybody else hear about this? Or am I the last of the frang stragglers to know of this law change? :o

from Thai Immigration web site:

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

Operative word for OP is temporary. As I enter Thailand on exemptions and must leave within 30 days my wife reports my stay at our home so as to meet the requirements above.

Edited by asiaexpat

So what then , I arrived from oversees the last time which was in May this year .

So what does my GF got to do now ......the 24 hour period is already over not ?

If she report now it will be a fine and if they found out later it will be the same fine .

So what is the picture with this actually ?

I have never heard of this requirement before ( only vague ) .

So after leaving the country for my multiple non O , does

she also have to report ( land border crossing )?

If needing to , we had to the past 8 years .......... :o

I live in our house - which means in the house owned by my wife.

Three years ago, I read about this TM 30 reports somewhere.

I wanted to do the right thing, hence I downloaded the form, filled it and went with it to the local police station (Amphor Manchakiri, 50 km from Khon Kaen).

There, nobody ever heard of this kind of address reports. I was told to come back the next day, when the boss would be there. Next day same thing: next day again. Third try was a success: the boss was there and acted very much as if this would be the most normal thing to do - until we where in his private office. There he asked me to explain what this was all about.

I never went to the trouble again.

My advice: do not wake up sleeping dogs. This one seems to be very sound asleep.

Regards

Thedi

I live in our house - which means in the house owned by my wife.

Three years ago, I read about this TM 30 reports somewhere.

I wanted to do the right thing, hence I downloaded the form, filled it and went with it to the local police station (Amphor Manchakiri, 50 km from Khon Kaen).

There, nobody ever heard of this kind of address reports. I was told to come back the next day, when the boss would be there. Next day same thing: next day again. Third try was a success: the boss was there and acted very much as if this would be the most normal thing to do - until we where in his private office. There he asked me to explain what this was all about.

I never went to the trouble again.

My advice: do not wake up sleeping dogs. This one seems to be very sound asleep.

Regards

Thedi

Thats what I thought , cause younever here anyone staying longterm doing this .

I am pretty sure that the local police station in this remote place would be even more surprised .

One more thing , I do not like the idea to know police to well , better avoid them .

They seem to like the idea of viviting the farang for some beer and whisky .

In the areas around here in the North , my experience is better stay as far as possible .

Like you said do not wake up sleeping dogs . It is a very strange requirement anyway .

imho the rule is as follows.

Each foreigner staying long tome in Thailand has to report every 90 days to confirm place of residence.

This is controlled through the TM-card.

When someone leaves the country, that TM-card is annulled and on return you get a new one.

This new TM-card is now the basis for the 90 day rule and must be presented locally at the place of residence,within 24 Hrs of arrival to start the new period.

My friendly immigration-officer in Pattaya told me that I could get into trouble by not complying, although he admitted that up to then this rule has not been enforced he said it might be in the future.

That was 5 months ago, since then I comply.

My 2 cents

onzestan

Each foreigner staying long tome in Thailand has to report every 90 days to confirm place of residence.

When someone leaves the country, that TM-card is annulled and on return you get a new one.

This new TM-card is now the basis for the 90 day rule and must be presented locally at the place of residence,within 24 Hrs of arrival to start the new period.

My friendly immigration-officer in Pattaya told me that I could get into trouble by not complying, although he admitted that up to then this rule has not been enforced he said it might be in the future.

My 2 cents

onzestan

Stan, your confusing me. ]

You say you must present you TM card at your place of residence. Then who reports you to immigration - you or the house owner? Or are they one and the same?

Operative word for OP is temporary. As I enter Thailand on exemptions and must leave within 30 days my wife reports my stay at our home so as to meet the requirements above.

Unless we have permanent residence, surely we are all temporary? All most of us is getting is a 12 months extension on our retirement or married visas. I would say this is a temporary situation.

My 2 cents

onzestan

Stan, your confusing me. ]

You say you must present you TM card at your place of residence. Then who reports you to immigration - you or the house owner? Or are they one and the same?

Sorry Mobi, sometimes I confuse myself :o

What I meant was : at the immigration office of place of residence.

Hope to have clarified.

Cheers

onzestan

OK, now I am confused. Assuming I own my condo and don't have a landlord that reports:

Say I have to report April 1. But instead of reporting, I go to Singapore on March 15 and arrive back April 15. So I don't report on April 1, but instead report 90 days after April 15. Is this in compliance, or as an owner, do I have to report to local immigration April 15?

Edited by Jingthing

OK, now I am confused. Assuming I own my condo and don't have a landlord that reports:

Say I have to report April 1. But instead of reporting, I go to Singapore on March 15 and arrive back April 15. So I don't report on April 1, but instead report 90 days after April 15. Is this in compliance, or as an owner, do I have to report to local immigration April 15?

Hi Jingthing,

You should present yourself at the local immigration office within 24 hrs (or next working day).

You'll get the new leaflet - Receipt of Notification - with the new date that you have to report again (90 days)

Seems the local offices are NOT informed by their border brothers in uniform.

I've done it once now and nobody frowned although it was a different officer than the one who told me.

Mind you, I don't know if they enforce this rule in Pattaya, can only relate my personal experience.

cheers

onzestan

Now I'm really confused.

So you guys are saying that when I return from a trip out of Thailand I must present myself to immigration in Pattaya with 24 hours of my arrival, not withstanding the fact that the immigration official at the airport has already stamped me in as having duly arrived, and under the old system my 90 days reporting requirement would start form the date of that stamp, and I would have no further need to report until the 90 days expired?

So this has nothing to do with Hotels or landlords having to report foreigners staying at their place. This is a (new?) requirement for foreigners to also report themselves to the local immigration office as soon as they arrive back in Thailand.

Lobburi 3 - Sunbelt - someone - can this be correct??? :o

I last entered Thailand at Suvarnabhumi on 6 August, following a trip to Oz.

My 90 days reporting was due on 3rd Nov, so I went down to Pattaya immigration today with duly completed form.

I handed passport and form to the officer, and she checked everything, stamped the form, pinned the receipt in the passport and told me to come again on 27th January.

No mention of this so- called requirement to "check -in " at Pattaya immigration when returning to Thailand.

I can only assume that if you do report to the local office after returning, that they just stamp up your form for a further 90 days, and don't really care that you've only been back in the country for 24 hours. Or maybe it suits them because they now have your info on file, but there doesn't appear to be any rule requiring us to do this.

All very strange :o