In Search Of Uk Visa Advice

Hi,

I am hoping to find someone with knowledge or experience of travel to the UK for Thai people. I am hoping to arrange travel at some point for my cousins daughter and her mother to the UK for a short holiday and to meet her gradparents, who are too old to travel to Thailand.

The plan would be for me to travel over to Thailand early next year and bring my cousin's daughter and mother back with me on the same flight.

My cousin was killed in an accident in Thailand when the child was very young. My cousin has a living British father and Irish mother who has lived in the UK for 50 years or so.

My questions is therefore: What process do I need to go through to bring my cousin's daughter (about 11-12 years old) with her mother to the UK for a holiday.

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks.

Ed.

Hi,

I am hoping to find someone with knowledge or experience of travel to the UK for Thai people. I am hoping to arrange travel at some point for my cousins daughter and her mother to the UK for a short holiday and to meet her gradparents, who are too old to travel to Thailand.

The plan would be for me to travel over to Thailand early next year and bring my cousin's daughter and mother back with me on the same flight.

My cousin was killed in an accident in Thailand when the child was very young. My cousin has a living British father and Irish mother who has lived in the UK for 50 years or so.

My questions is therefore: What process do I need to go through to bring my cousin's daughter (about 11-12 years old) with her mother to the UK for a holiday.

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks.

Ed.

Perhaps one of the mods could move this to the visas and migration forum where there are a number of people could better advise. :o

Edited by princealbert

I'm a bit confused by the relationships here.

From what I can gather, your deceased cousin was born of a British father and Irish mother. She had a daughter who is now c.12 and it is she who you wish to visit the U.K. Is this interpretation correct? If so, who is the mother that you refer to also coming on a visit? Also, if your deceased cousin was of British/Irish parentage, what nationality was she?

Scouse.

... my cousins daughter and her mother to the UK ...

... my cousin's daughter and mother ...

.... my cousin's daughter (about 11-12 years old) with her mother ...

This is like a Sherlock Holmes' mystery.

From what I understand is that your cousin is male. He had a daughter who is now 11-12. The mother referred to is the mother of his daughter. As you didn't say cousin's former spouse, I'm guessing that your cousin and his daughter's mother were not married. Is that correct?

I have a clear understanding. His cousin had a child to a Thai girl when living in Thailand. He was killed in an accident. He would like to bring the Wife and Child back to the UK and is asking if the child can still be entitled to British by descent. Also he would like the mother to accompany the child.

It is obviously an unusual case as the child does not hold a british passport at present, so it what would be the process on getting the mother and child who is the child of his cousin back to the UK?

What would the process be, the family obviously wants time with their relation in the UK and needs help and advice to do this?

I would start by contacting the British embassy in Bangkok and explaining your situation.

Click Here- British Embassy Bangkok Website.

Also some private advice from a member such as the Scouser is always good. I wish you well in your trying for the visa and if I can be of any help feel free to message me.

:o

Edited by coldcrush

So, at the time of their daughter's birth, were eddbot's cousin and the child's mother married, or were they just living together? Is eddbot's cousin named on his daughter's Thai birth certificate and was this issued within a year of the daughter's birth?

Scouse.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies.

Coldcrush nailed the scenario:

1. My cousin lived in Thailand with his Thai partner and their baby daughter. They were not married. He would return to the UK periodically, like many expats, to make some money. The goal of the couple were to eventually open a small guest house in Thailand.

2. I am unsure if my cousin is named on the child's birth certificate yet, have no reason to think otherwise. As far as I am aware, the Thai mother does not have a new partner and has certainly not married.

3. My cousin had a motorbike accident and died in 1996.

4. The child was born around 1995.

5. The British grandparents (one who is naturalised from Ireland, as she has been resident in the UK for more than 50 years) are too old to travel as they are nearly 70 years old yet, they want to see their grandchild. They have good contact by letter and they have evidence of having supported the child financially since the death of their son.

6. I visited the child and the Thai mother several years ago. I have photos of this time.

7. I plan to visit Thailand in April 08 with my partner and hope to return with the daughter of my British cousin, now deceased and the Thai mother. We live in Scotland (UK) so will probably chose to fly KLM which means that we will go through Glasgow (Scotland, UK) immigration. They will return to Thailand alone after about 2 weeks.

8. The Thai mother does not speak very good English so I would be keen to do as much as possible from my end.

I do not know where to start and from reading the threads here, realise that time and money could come into play unless you know what you are doing.

Our intitial desire is for a family reunion. If it amounts to much the same when applying for the visa, the facility to gain UK Citizenship/passport for the child would be a bonus, when considering her future.

My initial thoughts were that similar experiences might be shared by users of this website and so was looking for advice and testamonials to see how realistic my plans are in the time frame I have set.

Thanks again,

Ed.

Ed,

Your cousin's daughter and her mother can apply for visit visas for the UK at a cost of £63.00 each. These will enable them to stay for up to six months and they will need to demonstrate that the trip can be afforded and that they have somewhere to stay in the UK. If they wish, the grandparents can act as the sponsors. The tricky bit is showing that the mother and child will return to Thailand at the end of the stay. What does the mother do work-wise? Having said that, it is a positive that the grandparents can demonstrate financial support of the child and have evidence of contact. It is only reasonable, after all, that grandparents would wish to see their grandchild and the two-week intended duration is also reasonable.

If your cousin is construed as having been British "otherwise than by descent", which he probably is as he was born in the UK, and he is named on his daughter's birth certificate, which must have been issued within a year of her birth, the daughter may apply for registration as a British citizen. This application costs £400.00 and has to be filed through the embassy in Bangkok who then send the papers to the UK for consideration.

Scouse.