Ntbackup On Xp Professional

bdenner

Maybe a dumb question but has anyone completely restored their C drive using this program successfully? The restore including the OS with Security Updates, Documents and Settings folder and Programs etc.

Why I ask this is when I used the ‘Backup Utility’ (ntbackup.exe) to do a complete C Drive backup it cruised through without an ‘Access Denied’ one would get if trying to copy a file that is currently being used. I’m hoping it does not just skip over these files.

Is there or do I need better OEM software for this function?

Maybe a dumb question but has anyone completely restored their C drive using this program successfully? The restore including the OS with Security Updates, Documents and Settings folder and Programs etc.

Why I ask this is when I used the ‘Backup Utility’ (ntbackup.exe) to do a complete C Drive backup it cruised through without an ‘Access Denied’ one would get if trying to copy a file that is currently being used. I’m hoping it does not just skip over these files.

Is there or do I need better OEM software for this function?

I never fully trusted the full backup feature of NTBackup because of the semi-vague description of the full backup ("All information on this computer"), but I never tested it either.

I prefer Acronis True Image because it makes an image of the entire drive/partition and it's very fast. You can keep your backups on an external drive and even restore using a bootable CD if your system is totally screwed. If you've just lost a few files, you can restore just what you need. Unlike some drive imaging programs, you're not required to restore the whole partition.

For general data backup, i prefer folder synchronization software such as Super Flexible File Synchronizer or the free Sync Toy from Microsoft. Folder synchronizing as a backup method works great because the backup itself is immediately usable.