Wrong Stamp

just wondering....!!!!!!!!was in ranong yesterday and should have got a visa on arrival(30days).however i got stamped for 90 days"B" visa...what should i do???

I really can't see any point in having it changed. When do you intend to leave?

Edited by tropo

just wondering....!!!!!!!!was in ranong yesterday and should have got a visa on arrival(30days).however i got stamped for 90 days"B" visa...what should i do???

Because if they notice this on next departure they might well hit him with a long overstay penalty.  Ugh!

It's not quitee the same as if IRS (that's the U.S. income tax folks for you non-Americans) overpay you on a refund and you keep the $$$ until they come looking for it.  Then pay back the principal and keep the interest, I'd think.  I'd rather play games with IRS than with Immigration.

Mac

I came in via BKK airport with a B-visa, and got a 30D. CNX immigration rectified the error immediately. :o

Same thing happened to me (on arrival Oct 19th) - always get 3 mths on my 'B' Visa (past 12 years) , but she/he only stamped 30days .... have become so used to getting the 3mths I normally take it for granted that they've stamped me 90 days so didn't notice till I was in my hotel room ...

Glad to hear this happens from time to time because I was just a little worried ... anyway, had already planned to go to Vietnam next month so no probs - BUT, I will be checking immediately what I've been given every time from now on...

I arrived in july with my new "Non-Immi-O-Type"-Visa (valid 1 year, multiple entries) in BKK - the lady-officer at the immigration-counter, was very friendly and happy to see I´ve got this visa, asked me if I can speak Thai, gave me the stamp and I hurried up to get my connecting-flight to Phuket.

In the airplane I saw that I got a 30-days-stamp only. What to do ? I decided to contact the Phuket-airport-immigration on arrival.

There I showed my passport with the "wrong" stamp to one of the officers. After see the slip he only told me "No pompem, don´t worry I will change the date for you in passport and computer" - well, I followed him to his seperate office (may be was the boss there), where he changed the departure-date in my passport and in the computer (immigration-system), also he wrote a comment in my passport, for other officials can see what happend and why the date was changed.

So, if something like this happens to you, make shure not only the changes in the passport are made, because it´s also necessary to change everything in the system and better the officer write a comment about the reasons of the changing.

With this "modified" passport / visa one week later I applied my thai-driver-licences sucessfull in Phuket-Town.

Bagsida

Because if they notice this on next departure they might well hit him with a long overstay penalty. Ugh!

It's not quitee the same as if IRS (that's the U.S. income tax folks for you non-Americans) overpay you on a refund and you keep the $$$ until they come looking for it.  Then pay back the principal and keep the interest, I'd think.  I'd rather play games with IRS than with Immigration.

Mac

That's the reason why I asked the OP when he intended to leave. If he intends to leave within 30 days, it's a total waste of time to go to immigration to have it changed.

If it was me, I would not bother to change it even if I intended to stay more than 30 days. I seriously doubt they will be charging a person for an overstay resulting from an immigration error.

Having a 30 day error adjusted to the correct 90 days is another matter entirely.

Because if they notice this on next departure they might well hit him with a long overstay penalty. Ugh!

It's not quitee the same as if IRS (that's the U.S. income tax folks for you non-Americans) overpay you on a refund and you keep the $$$ until they come looking for it. Then pay back the principal and keep the interest, I'd think. I'd rather play games with IRS than with Immigration.

Mac

That's the reason why I asked the OP when he intended to leave. If he intends to leave within 30 days, it's a total waste of time to go to immigration to have it changed.

If it was me, I would not bother to change it even if I intended to stay more than 30 days. I seriously doubt they will be charging a person for an overstay resulting from an immigration error.

Having a 30 day error adjusted to the correct 90 days is another matter entirely.

Tropo I think you are over confident of the way immigration might treat this case.

I would more go along the lines of having it rectified and be 'sure' thank to risk......

He is not entitled to 90 days so why try to take advantage of an error and risk ?