Mac Leopard - Today's The Day

absolutelyBangkok

I take a very wild guess: Maybe nobody here has his hands on it yet!?!

You celebrate too early though Astral:

http://www.istudio.in.th/

The Wall Street Journal had a rather optimistic first review.

Seems to even be quite bug-free.

May have to pay that istudio a visit.

I'm eagerly waiting to try Leopard out, but I want to make sure it plays friendly with some of my apps (Adobe CS3 primarily)

Tomorrow's the day in Thailand. On sale from midday at iStudio outlets

Tasty avatar by the way!

Prices at istudio:

1 license: 4790 baht

4 licenses: 7490 baht

If you compare that with windoze ...

Yes, am mainly worried as well about CS2 in my case, let's see from early adapters how Leopard will run "old" apps.

TimeMachine alone could be worth it.

Yes, back up programs come free with pretty much any OS including OS X 10.4 and with any external hard drive - but seamless integration of a versioning system is something completely new. First reports say that it's integrating well with external drives. I work on a laptop so there isn't enough room on the internal drive (200GB is just not enough...:o ) and I will be connected with the external drive only on occasion.

What I would like TM to do would be work "seamlessly in the background", store on the internal disk, and then move everything automatically to the external HD once its present. I doubt it can do it but if so they can have my $129 now.

The other thing I am looking forward to is Spaces. I know there are virtual desktop managers galore for all the major OSs but I haven't found any that "just work" meaning I never have to think about the desktop manager. There's always some little problems, some non-smoothness. I am hoping Spaces will be a lot better... if Apple's user interface design gurus can't come up with a good solution then who will.

As for vic's snide remarks - well you don't have to get the latest OS X version, you know. If you don't think it's worth the money, just stick with the perfectly acceptable OS X 10.4. Apple's trick is of course that enough people want the latest version badly enough to pay for it. Plus, you get the Ultimate version for $129 :D :D

So far the feedback from friends running it has been quite favourable. They do get a little annoyed when I tease them about paying for a service pack though. :D

Haha, guess it's slightly more. Substantially upgraded iMovie, iDVD and other iXxxx with it.

There are service packs and service packs.

Yep, $129 is the difference :o

any info about pantip release ? ;-)

just kidding ..

sadly my slow G4 is just able to host 10.4 half-well ... guess it will be a sleeping show with leopard ...

some people on engadget have reported their ageing G4s are way faster with leopard. and if you find it's slow, its time to get a new machine anyway - perfect excuse :o

Now, i love my mac and it's previous OS's

If Leopard represents the future of Operating Systems, i need Marty Mcfly's phone number STAT!

My problems;

1) failed initial upgrade (hung on reboot) had to choose the archive install. Needed more space, said it needed 11GB, took 14GB

2) spaces, although usable is jittery (think G3 800 and expose)

3) Wireless connection has lost 20% strength

4) root password reset to ?

5) mail.app's view reset

6) CPU is most times at 100% - even when idle

7) spotlight database is shagged - does not recognise app names

8) same with finder - even when in the app in questions directory

The minimum spec is a G4 867mhz - my platform is a 1st gen macbook (intel) with 2GB. I'm not very impressed so far.

That's after 4 hours usage - we'll see how things worsen in time.

Edited by phazey

hum .. the "hang problem on reboot" i had as well on my 2 old macs . while updating to 10.4

also on my G4 ...

also the 100% cpu is quite normal as spotlight is doing clean indexes ... jut leave it like this ..

iam quite sure the heavy disc access and cpu load is going down after this initial tasks are finished ..

iam very happy so far with tiger (it was a huge benefit after all to panther)

hope to get some good news about leopard later too... (still not really decide to buy it .. 5k baht is not so much expensive but well its alot of money ;-)

spotlight is not indexing (it shows you when it does...)

regarding hang on reboot - Apple support said up to 2 hours is about the maximum (disk checks etc)

I left mine 11.....

Edited by phazey

That's why I wait a month before any new OS upgrade...

So far, there's way too many error reports to really go for it, not just here also on engadget... I want it but ... I do need this machine for work..

Edited by nikster

spotlight is FAST :D

everything is faster :D

parallels gives kernel panic :o

quicklook is extremly useful :D

translucent everythin takes a while to get used to :D

spaces is nice :bah:

i think most changes are under the hood. finally a good os optimized for my 64bit intel cpu....

Installing Mac OS 10.5 went like a breeze - on my good old Powrbook G4 1.67Ghz.

Did the Archive/Install option, not the Upgrade.

Only thing so far I had to redo was the pairing of the computer and my mobile phone for hotsyncing.

Took about an hour.

Took some deep breaths - looks good so far.

Before the installation I ran DiskWarrior another time. Maybe that helps.

Don't hesitate, jump and upgrade, it's definitively worth those 4,790 baht.

According to this, they've already got it working off the Mac:

Well its been only a day since the Mac OSX Leopard was released officially by Apple and the hackers have managed to create a patched DVD that everyone like you and me can use to install Leopard on PC’s without having to buy a Mac. Please note the tutorial that I am going to post is still experimental and things might not work the right way simply because it is still early days in hacking Leopard to work on PC’s. Well if you don’t mind your PC getting screwed then go ahead and try out this tutorial.

Make sure you backup all important data before you proceed. Here are the things that you will need before Install Leopard on your PC…

* The Patched DVD Image

* The zip file containing the patch

* One pen drive or USB Flash Drive formatted as FAT32

Well once you have all these you can go ahead and Install Leopard..

Full instructions:

http://dailyapps.net/2007/10/hack-attack-i...n-3-easy-steps/

Ok, after my initial rant, i'm getting my head around a few things.

stacks is nice

spotlight can be used as a calculator

BEST SCREENSAVER EVER! :o

I'm not kidding. go to screensaver prefs and set it to display pictures from your iphoto library. Select the "mosaic" effect. Let it do it's thing, then sit and watch - it's pretty awesome once you let it cycle for a few times.