Recycling Plastics In Bkk

YoungFarangNa

Everytime I leave the house I come back with 25 plastic bags. I want to stop killing the Earth and start recycling. How?

The effects of plastic waste are extremely localized. And given that all the foreigners in Thailand couldn't do even a significant fraction of the damage the Thais will do anyway, it's not worth your time to worry about it. Your simple Western habits of getting every bit of trash into a trash bin are already doing more to control pollution than many Thais will do.

But if you must, take your 25 bags back out with you next time you go shopping are reuse them. Or buy a couple of string mesh bags to take with you when you go shopping. And if you live in an apartment, just try setting out one big bag of bags near the trash bins and see if someone picks them up for recycling as they will with the cans and the glass and plastic bottles.

Everytime I leave the house I come back with 25 plastic bags. I want to stop killing the Earth and start recycling. How?

How about a cloth bag or three to take with you to the market, or shopping where ever you go?  Photo of a Villa Market effort back in 1993.  Bag ran baht 15 but you got a 15 satang discount every time you used it.  I still try to convince the new Villa Marker cashiers that this is true.  New management, so it doesn't work.

Also, we give a lot to the "lot kap khao" folks, the pickup trucks that come around daily, several times a day.  

Mac

post-32650-1193383951_thumb.jpg

A few sentences I use:

"Mai sai toon, na krap" = Don't put in a bag.

"Sai toon nee, douai na krap" = Put in this bag please (showing one of the half-full bags I already have).

"Mee toon lau, na krap" = I have a bag already.

"Tee baan mee toon yeu lau, krap" = At home I have a lot of bags already (to explain why I don't want a bag).

It works most of the time, but smiling is important.