Internet Via Satallite In Pattaya

CRUNCHER

Can anyone please advise me on using the internet via satellite? Can this be done in Pattaya? Some time ago someone told be this was the best way to go, but unfortunately I did not ask any questions at the time.

If so, is it any good, what does it cost and where can I arrange it? Do I need any special equipment (apart from a computer of course) and is it expensive?

Any advice (preferably not in the form of alphabets – I am a complete ignoramus in this area) would be appreciated.

High speed internet in Pattaya largely depends on where you live. In central Pattaya, and up to two Kilometers east of sukhumvit you can get ADSL internet from TT&T. Also available on Tepesat Road. I don't know about Jomtien. I have no info, nor do I believe it is available by satellite. You can also get Cat in areas that TT&T is not available. Same speed, 3.5 times the price.

Barry

I use IP Star, it's an overpriced bit of poo!!!!!! And the customer service is non existant, in fact probably the worst company I have ever dealt with!!!

If you can get a land line/cable Hi speed connection do it. IP star is only a last resort for someone who cannot do without the internet.

I use IP Star, it's an overpriced bit of poo!!!!!! And the customer service is non existant, in fact probably the worst company I have ever dealt with!!!

If you can get a land line/cable Hi speed connection do it. IP star is only a last resort for someone who cannot do without the internet.

Cant agree with you more..

Cant agree with you more..

That's because IPstar is now run bt TOT. When will people learn?

Barry

How do you sign up for cable internet? I heard Sophon were doing it but don't see any advertisements or anything for it.

There are a few apartments advertised that come with WIFI or fixed line internet connection.

From what I have heard, Sophon is not yet doing cable, but BTV is. Unfortunately in the Maprachan and Nongprue areas your best choice is Cat which is way too expensive.

Barry

If you really can't get a phone line with ADSL, then you can get IP Star Satellite internet from LOXINFO.. You have to pay 3,000 to have the dish fitted and its 1,500 baht a month for 256KB. It is OK and has never gone down on me in the 2 months I have been using it but its quite expensive to say its just 256KB.. I have now managed to get a phone line and MaxNet 2,000KB with TT&T which goes down often, so I just switch over to my Loxinfo IP star which never lets me down... :o

If you really can't get a phone line with ADSL, then you can get IP Star Satellite internet from LOXINFO.. You have to pay 3,000 to have the dish fitted and its 1,500 baht a month for 256KB. It is OK and has never gone down on me in the 2 months I have been using it but its quite expensive to say its just 256KB.. I have now managed to get a phone line and MaxNet 2,000KB with TT&T which goes down often, so I just switch over to my Loxinfo IP star which never lets me down... :o

It's never gone down.

You are funny man!!

I had the IPStar before. It was really a mess. Whenever there was a rain shower it stopped working. Now, as we moved location we are on TT&T ADSL. Used to be much better before there free double speed, but anyway still acceptable. However the whole Internet is still way under developed here compared with Europe. Nothing to do about it....

You can also get Cat in areas that TT&T is not available. Same speed, 3.5 times the price.

Barry

What is the price for CAT? I live in Center Condotel on S Pattaya Rd. I heard CAT is very fast and reliable and available in my location. I have not looked into this claim (or other alternatives) but I will be needing internet service soon capable of handling Yahoo Messenger with webcam communication everyday.

Most internet cafes provide the bandwidth to accomplish this task so the bandwidth is obviously available in Pattaya.

I think.

???

I have used IPstar for over 3 years and hate that I do not get what I pay for. I tried the new Banglamung cable when it came out and was completely down 6 of the first 18 days. I had been hoping to switch to the cable and dump IPstar. Unfortunately, I need my connection each and every day so I am back using IPstar as the best of a bad lot. I still hold out hope that Siphon will come up with a cable that can be counted on. Apparently, the variables causing Banglamung problems are outside their direct control. They buy their international bandwidth from CAT. When it was working, it was lightning fast. I often got speed at over 4kb.

If you really can't get a phone line with ADSL, then you can get IP Star Satellite internet from LOXINFO.. You have to pay 3,000 to have the dish fitted and its 1,500 baht a month for 256KB. It is OK and has never gone down on me in the 2 months I have been using it but its quite expensive to say its just 256KB.. I have now managed to get a phone line and MaxNet 2,000KB with TT&T which goes down often, so I just switch over to my Loxinfo IP star which never lets me down... :D

It's never gone down.

You are funny man!!

Actually,

1. I am not a man.

2. My IPStar with Loxinfo (NOT TOT) Has never let me down in the last 2 months whilst my MaxNet has been down. Note that I do not use it All day, only when my MaxNet is down, and it has never let me down in that time.

:o

I also cannot say enough bad things about IPStar.

When it works, it is ok, but never, ever at 256Kb.

But it must be the most unreliable connection I have ever had. Anyone that relies on internet or does any heavy downloading, I would give this a miss. It is useable for light email and surfing the web...sometimes.

And forget customer service. When you call, they will look on the system and tell you your satellite is connected, even though it may well be, but you have no Internet connections. And if you want them to come out to check it, they will charge you. And even if you do book a day (not time), they will not show up.

I'm really surprised they get away with this...then again...TIT.