Curious About Something..

Hi,

Just curious, i know i probably dont stand much of a chance, but is there a slim chance that i could pick up any electrical maintanence work amongst the ex-pat community in Thailand? Ive been an electrican for the past 12 years and have had extensive experience in air-conditioning and air handling systems etc along with other forms of electrical works, power, lighting.etc..

Im not gonna hold my breath, just thought id ask,

thanx

Hi,

Just curious, i know i probably dont stand much of a chance, but is there a slim chance that i could pick up any electrical maintanence work amongst the ex-pat community in Thailand? Ive been an electrican for the past 12 years and have had extensive experience in air-conditioning and air handling systems etc along with other forms of electrical works, power, lighting.etc..

Im not gonna hold my breath, just thought id ask,

thanx

Mate,

Don't bother. Do you know how cheap odd work and jobs can be done out here???

Unles you are willing to earn 300 Baht per half day job, then you're more than welcome.

In the West, it's different............out here, it's classed as unskilled work and as such you get paid peanuts.

Good luck trying.

Unless you had a work permit you would be breaking the law and if caught and prosecuted you would almost assuredly be deported and barred from re-entry.

Nah, i wouldnt work there anyway, would really hate to think that i was putting a Thai out of work.. Anyway was just thinking out loud...Had a job offer for Sydney, Australia which looks promising...Thanks for the response anyway

Unless you had a work permit you would be breaking the law and if caught and prosecuted you would almost assuredly be deported and barred from re-entry.

Nah, i wouldnt work there anyway, would really hate to think that i was putting a Thai out of work.. Anyway was just thinking out loud...Had a job offer for Sydney, Australia which looks promising...Thanks for the response anyway

loki00 don't feel too badly about it - this situation applies right across the board to all trades and professions.

Even a doctor working in hospital in Thailand would earn no more than 10 -11,000 Baht a month !!

it's unbelievable and for less skilled workers they are treated here like shit sometimes working

twelve hours a day for 5-6000 baht a month - I know someone in this situation working

in a five-star hotel !

you can have a comfortable lifestyle in Sydney and good luck to you!

A general practitioner/MD in a govt. hospital told me in March, 2003 that his salary was about 25K per month. He could double that by having an evening/weekend clinic. But yes, it's peanuts. Now we have a light fixture and a toilet tank valve mechanism that are broken, and in both cases the Thai partner thinks it will be too expensive to repair. If four men can work on the air conditioner for an hour with special equipment and only charge 1,000 baht including the freon, I doubt a farang would be happy at prevailing wages.

A general practitioner/MD in a govt. hospital told me in March, 2003 that his salary was about 25K per month. He could double that by having an evening/weekend clinic. But yes, it's peanuts. Now we have a light fixture and a toilet tank valve mechanism that are broken, and in both cases the Thai partner thinks it will be too expensive to repair. If four men can work on the air conditioner for an hour with special equipment and only charge 1,000 baht including the freon, I doubt a farang would be happy at prevailing wages.

Actually, I'll bet the Private Hospital doctors earn quite good coin (comparatively of course - all things relevant to Thailand!).

They seem to charge 300-500 baht per visit (depends on the hospital). So if you reckon they split that, say, 50-50 with the Hospital itself, and they see 30 patients per shift, then that's about 7-8,000 baht per day. Not bad. Then there is the commission on Rx (I suspect - I don't know for sure - in the West that would lose them their licence!)

These doctors still wouldn't be able to afford the Benz they have parked outside, but then neither can the civil servant next door who earns much less - but still somehow also owns a Benz. :o TIT.