Cancer Hospital

strawberry

Got a sick relative and the local hospitals here are pretty slack. Can anyone tell about the cancer hospital in Bangkok

Regards Joe

Do you mean the government or private ones?

I had a freind treated for colon cancer at Bumrungrad - he lasted a lot longer than predicted by the NHS but then again Avastin was not available on the NHS but he paid for it at Bumrungrad.

A very good pal is an Oncologist who I work with in Singapore but he is away in South America this week or I would ask him about BKK hospitals he deals with - I suppose it depends on type of cancer.

IT would need to be a government hospital and the type of cancer at this time is not known

Seems like the local hospitals are into diagnosing without the benefit of testig

Joe

I've heard about the government one at Lopburi which seems to attract a lot of funding and is well recommended by my thai friends as the place to go to for a variety of cancers, . There was a news item recently about its latest radoitherapy treatments. Sorry, I dont have any more details.

I use Samitivej ( private) myself for prostate cancer monitoring. Its excellent, but not cheap.

Good luck, Tim

First of all, how sure are you that it is cancer? What exactly are his symptoms? I ask because many times people have posted about cancer which turned out to be a false alarm. A cancer diagnosis cannot be made without biopsy, altho there can be a high index of suspicion based on other findings. Has he had a biopsy? It is normal for it to take some time to get biopsy results, especially if done at a local hospital which will likely have to send the specimen elsewhere; in that case it can be as much as a few weeks.

If you can provide more info along these lines I can advise better.

For general reference, for any complex problem the best government hospitals are those in Bangkok such as Chula or Siriraj and the various Regional Hospitals. Regional Hospitals are provincial hospitals with higher than average capabilities which serve as points of referral for a group of other provincial hospitals. A notch below the best govt hospitals in Bkk but not by too much. Ordinary provincial hospitals are OK only for fairly common medical and surgical problems. District hospitals are very limited and better used only for very routine things (like normal delivery, common infectious diseases).

If you can't afford the private diagnosis (which I do recommend if at all possible because it will be done much, much quicker and time could be of the essence here), then go to either Chula, Siriraj or a Regional Hospital for it. Try to get a letter of referral from the hospital treating him so far to expedite access.

• 1 year later...