Chiang Mai Demographics

ChiangMaiThai

I'm looking for detailed and recent demographics of CM province.

Population, age and especially income.

Does this exist? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

yes. i used to read them in some thai gov entity's website. maybe the province of CM.

should have what u need. it is in thai.

am not on my regular pc, so won't have the specific website for u.

How about 'accurate'? :o

I'm not completely joking either. As an example, let's see if anyone here can come up with as much as a recent, accurate figure for the population of Chiang Mai. Absolute numbers, never mind age or income. Chances are numbers will vary WILDLY.

The sad truth is that NOBODY knows how many people there are in Chiang Mai right now. (Getting people to agree on what exactly is the city area is already a challenge.)

I do have a solution though: Take Thailand's GNP and divide this by the total number of hypermarket outlets like Tesco and Carrefour. Then you get a number per one hypermarket. Then for any given city/area, multiply by the number of hypermarkets in that city area.

You can go down to 7-elevens if you want a more ganular level. :D

How about 'accurate'? :D

I'm not completely joking either. As an example, let's see if anyone here can come up with as much as a recent, accurate figure for the population of Chiang Mai. Absolute numbers, never mind age or income. Chances are numbers will vary WILDLY.

The sad truth is that NOBODY knows how many people there are in Chiang Mai right now. (Getting people to agree on what exactly is the city area is already a challenge.)

I do have a solution though: Take Thailand's GNP and divide this by the total number of hypermarket outlets like Tesco and Carrefour. Then you get a number per one hypermarket. Then for any given city/area, multiply by the number of hypermarkets in that city area.

You can go down to 7-elevens if you want a more ganular level. :D

I like it! Reverse engineered demographics based on hypermarkets. You KNOW these retailers do serious market studies before investing in new locations. Their data is probably more accurate than the gov't census figures.... :o

I just checked their websites, and from that I do get the impression that Chiang Mai actually *IS* Thailand's second city.. Official figures usually have it that Khorat and Udon (and Had Yai) are bigger, but actually I doubt that now. Also those official figures are incredibly low, I think they only list people who are actually registered as owning a house in Chiang Mai, where of course there is a HUGE migrant population from other provinces. Government numbers don't even get beyond 200,000 for all those cities I think..

Another candidate, and a VERY fast growing urban center is Pattaya; Chiang Mai and Pattaya are the only cities outside of Bangkok where Tesco have two branches. Big C will soon also have two in Chiang Mai.

Of course where they establish a store is a combination of populaition AND spending power; for sure there's more PEOPLE in Khorat than Pattaya, but apparently it was felt that the spending power (perhaps in combination with expected growth) was bigger in the Pattaya area.

On problem is to define Chiang Mai - it can mean only the central area, (tambon Chiang Mai?), or it can be the centre and other tambon's like Suthep or often it just means the province.

Most statistics do not define what they mean by Chiang Mai.

For Brits it is really like asking the population of London - is London just the city of London - the square mile, or the whole of SE England?

On problem is to define Chiang Mai - it can mean only the central area, (tambon Chiang Mai?), or it can be the centre and other tambon's like Suthep or often it just means the province.

For Brits it is really like asking the population of London - is London just the city of London - the square mile, or the whole of SE England?

So true Briley! I'm sad that neither the 'Bangkok Post' nor 'The Nation' have ever got to grips with this. I had a big go at them some years back when the Burmese in Tachilek were "shelling Chiang Rai"! Imagine what that did for northern tourism!!

"Drug dealers shoot out with Chiang Mai police!" scream the headlines. But they are talking about some obscure road near Doi Angkarn, NOT Moon Muang!!!! I got nowhere with either paper and it still drives me nuts.

But back on topic. 'The Nation' had a brief report this week that the last survey, only a year ago, showed the population of Chiang Mai PROVINCE to be 1.something million. I know the birth rate is falling, but old Thai people are living longer and more expats are settling here. So I just don't believe such a low figure.

This is fascinating and important and I hope we can all pool good quality info.

I can't imagine Carrefour and Tesco come in here without income statistics for Chiang Mai and surrounding areas? I've looked online, but can't find any income stats. Surely some kind of census has been conducted here?

Err.. Reminder: "This is Thailand" ? Census or not, I doubt Tesco or Carrefour would even trust such a census, but do solid research themselves... I mean, have you ever seen a number followed by a percent sign in any Thai newspaper publication that WASN'T ludicrous?

So I think they have their own means of research, such as, how many motor vehicles are sold and registered in the area. That kind of information is available, and they know that their target customer owns a car. Look at the number of (new) car owners, and there's the segment that will drive that car up to your parking lot and go shop.

Also banks likely have a pretty good idea, as people tend to have bank accounts linked to a branch near to where they live. As do mobile phone companies. I'm sure when you're high up and well connected in the business world in Thailand, you can get HIGHLY accurate data, but not from the government or university studies/surveys.. Possibly banks and mobile phone companies are sitting on the best demographical data you could possibly get on Thailand.

I'd call that a 'consideration' not a problem. Depending on why you need the demographical data you will have an idea of what area you think is relevant. Why do you think Tesco does those 'Grand Sale Lotteries' where you can win 1 Honda Jazz, 5 motorbikes and 50 Hatari electric fans? you know, where everyone and their pet puppy spends an additional 15 minutes in the store filling out 20 of those tickets.. Why do they do that? SO THAT THEY KNOW WHERE THERE CUSTOMERS LIVE. They know EXACTLY from how far people come to find their stores.

Nitpick: There's no Tambon Chiang Mai. A Tambon is a sub-district, under an Amphur (District). So there is an "Amphur Muang Chiang Mai", the city district, (and incidentally the hilltribe village WAY WAY up Doi Suthep past the summit of Doi Pui and then down again is in it :o ) and then there's the surrounding districts, clockwise: Mae Rim, San Sai, Sankamphaeng, Saraphee, Hang Dong (and possibly Sanpatong too). Chiang Mai City has grown so much that people living in housing estates that are technically in Hang Dong or San Sai feel very much like they live in the city of Chiang Mai. Formerly I'd be tempted to call 'everything inside the Third Ring' to be Chiang Mai city.. but then you miss huge estates like Manthana, Koolpunt 9 and LOADS more that are just outside it. But then if you do include those, then you're exactly at Hang Dong or Mae Rim or Saraphee proper. Eventually those will be swallowed up into "the city" just like Ban Jed Yod and all those before it.

Let's just say that Chiang Mai city is going to be VERY BIG very soon. Million people, anyone? When?

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

I can't imagine Carrefour and Tesco come in here without income statistics for Chiang Mai and surrounding areas? I've looked online, but can't find any income stats. Surely some kind of census has been conducted here?

Err.. Reminder: "This is Thailand" ? Census or not, I doubt Tesco or Carrefour would even trust such a census, but do solid research themselves... I mean, have you ever seen a number followed by a percent sign in any Thai newspaper publication that WASN'T ludicrous?

So I think they have their own means of research, such as, how many motor vehicles are sold and registered in the area. That kind of information is available, and they know that their target customer owns a car. Look at the number of (new) car owners, and there's the segment that will drive that car up to your parking lot and go shop.

Also banks likely have a pretty good idea, as people tend to have bank accounts linked to a branch near to where they live. As do mobile phone companies. I'm sure when you're high up and well connected in the business world in Thailand, you can get HIGHLY accurate data, but not from the government or university studies/surveys.. Possibly banks and mobile phone companies are sitting on the best demographical data you could possibly get on Thailand.

I'd call that a 'consideration' not a problem. Depending on why you need the demographical data you will have an idea of what area you think is relevant. Why do you think Tesco does those 'Grand Sale Lotteries' where you can win 1 Honda Jazz, 5 motorbikes and 50 Hatari electric fans? you know, where everyone and their pet puppy spends an additional 15 minutes in the store filling out 20 of those tickets.. Why do they do that? SO THAT THEY KNOW WHERE THERE CUSTOMERS LIVE. They know EXACTLY from how far people come to find their stores.

Nitpick: There's no Tambon Chiang Mai. A Tambon is a sub-district, under an Amphur (District). So there is an "Amphur Muang Chiang Mai", the city district, (and incidentally the hilltribe village WAY WAY up Doi Suthep past the summit of Doi Pui and then down again is in it :D ) and then there's the surrounding districts, clockwise: Mae Rim, San Sai, Sankamphaeng, Saraphee, Hang Dong (and possibly Sanpatong too). Chiang Mai City has grown so much that people living in housing estates that are technically in Hang Dong or San Sai feel very much like they live in the city of Chiang Mai. Formerly I'd be tempted to call 'everything inside the Third Ring' to be Chiang Mai city.. but then you miss huge estates like Manthana, Koolpunt 9 and LOADS more that are just outside it. But then if you do include those, then you're exactly at Hang Dong or Mae Rim or Saraphee proper. Eventually those will be swallowed up into "the city" just like Ban Jed Yod and all those before it.

Let's just say that Chiang Mai city is going to be VERY BIG very soon. Million people, anyone? When?

when the sea level rises and Bangkok gets submerged, CM will be very attractive to those down on the plains! Lets hope they construct some levee system first. :o

I got the statistics from the BOI. Latest info is for 2004 Chiang Mai Province. The official line is:

12,000 Baht average household income

3,000 of 300,000 households report an annual income of more than 500,000 Baht.

Of course this is the income they were willing to report to the govt.

This is a common problem in demographics. A developed nation will have a standard such as density per square mile out in the suburbs/exurbs to draw the line, thus including this county but not that county for a standard or consolidated metropolitan area or conurbation. I don't know if Thailand has such a concept, especially when their census (correct me if this is wrong) is based upon registration with the govt., not by physical presence. In other words, anybody who is still registered in their home town but has moved to the city to work and live, is counted back home, nah? And how do they count farang, tourists, students, et al?