I Have Graduated From Jai Dee Farang To Kee Neeo

Jingthing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I ask who is calling you "khee neeow". If it is part of joshing with hookers/bargirls as they try to wheedle a lady drink out of you, then I would say it is normal and can be ignored.

If it's coming from employees, business associates, customers, your children's teachers, etc. then you should probably investigate why they have this negative view of you.

In my case, traders and their offspring and tuktuk drivers when I won't pay their ridiculous prices and bar employees when I refuse to buy them drinks.

The latter are becoming such a pest that I'm now having to choose my bars with ever increasing care.

Phuket is the absolute worst for this growing nuisance, which is why I won't be going back there - ever.

I don't usually agree with anyone twice in one thread on general principle :D , but ditto regarding Phuket for me too. The sheer bloody arrogant entitlement of that place these days will never see me return either... :o

I still hear that once in a blue moon - usually i take it as a sign that I am in a place or with people that I have no business mingling (ie..if you go to the monkey cage - expect to get shit thrown at you)

they will get a level 3 stonewall icy death smile and no more communication from I.

How about getting off a train as it stops in a station in the middle of the night just to buy something from a vendor and as you wave the money around the unknown Thai walks up beside you and calls you a "kamoi", right before he demands the 5 baht farang tax from the vendor.

I got back on the train still hungry and disappeared into the night. Mostly I get called kamoi more than kee neeo but it is more a function of your jangwats location than a personal thing.

What does "kamoi" mean?

I remember one happy day when I was called "puan see khao"....ah happy day....but then it was right back to good ole "farang" as usual.....

You,re being insulted.

You are not " known " as such.

My Thai wife has just stated that it is an insult.

There again...............if you have been here that long you would know this. Sorry.

Thais insult you when they realize they cannot get your money.

Therefore their insult should increase your self esteem !

Yes, but do you think there is even a tiny amount of respect hidden in the insult, saying you are too smart for our scams? I realize it doesn't matter either way, but still curious. On the contrary, I don't think Thai people usually respect farangs who are totally careless with their money but they certainly love it if that money is coming their way (and who wouldn't love it?).

Edited by Jingthing

I don't usually agree with anyone twice in one thread on general principle :D , but ditto regarding Phuket for me too. The sheer bloody arrogant entitlement of that place these days will never see me return either... :o

Patong isn't Phuket. Try to get out more.

How about getting off a train as it stops in a station in the middle of the night just to buy something from a vendor and as you wave the money around the unknown Thai walks up beside you and calls you a "kamoi", right before he demands the 5 baht farang tax from the vendor.

I got back on the train still hungry and disappeared into the night. Mostly I get called kamoi more than kee neeo but it is more a function of your jangwats location than a personal thing.

What does "kamoi" mean?

I remember one happy day when I was called "puan see khao"....ah happy day....but then it was right back to good ole "farang" as usual.....

Thief

I don't understand why the poster is being called that though.

My wife also just confirmed that is nothing less then an insult, if it is whispered (gossipped) about other people.

Have not heard it said about me yet. Although it might have been said without me hearing it.

If I noticed someone insult me, they would not be anyone I would be around anymore.

Easy as that.

Funny, but she just told me (with a strait face) that she is a Kee Neeo.

And that in fact the vast majority of Thais are.

But this was not an insult she said.

Just fact.

They can call me what they like so long as my money stays in my pocket and not theirs.

It's easy for me to take the jibe while I'm taking care not to be scammed.

Anyway, no polite Thai would say this so I'm safe in assuming that anyone calling me kin niao is low life.

Hear, hear! :o

I have heard it is quite acceptable and common for a Thai call themselves this insult. Kind of a form of self deprecating humor, something we are all familiar with in our cultures also, and quite useful if negotiating a price.

As far as Thai culture around money, well obviously there are individual differences, but there seems to be a strong trend for Thais to be very generous with their close circle (family first, then friends) but kee neoo with the outside world at large. So if this is the case and they are "insulting" farangs with this insult, again, in a way they are saying you are acting like us! Not much of an insult when you look at it that way.

Edited by Jingthing

I get in first, when the subject of money comes up, I point to myself and say " pom Kee Niao" with a smile.

It is an ongoing joke with the local motocy taxis, (I now pay the local price) but I will catch the songtow if there is one there or will be soon. I am not afraid to use it as a bargaining tool when buying things, usually I get a smile and get back to negotiating. I suppose I should learn the word for careful with my money but kee niao gets the desired effect.

I suppose I should learn the word for careful with my money but kee niao gets the desired effect.

Why bother? The Thais do the same thing and it works. Congratulations, you have my full admiration. Why shouldn't local expats get the local price? We are local.

Edited by Jingthing

I get in first, when the subject of money comes up, I point to myself and say " pom Kee Niao" with a smile.

It is an ongoing joke with the local motocy taxis, (I now pay the local price) but I will catch the songtow if there is one there or will be soon. I am not afraid to use it as a bargaining tool when buying things, usually I get a smile and get back to negotiating. I suppose I should learn the word for careful with my money but kee niao gets the desired effect.

I sometimes use pom pen kon jon, I'm a poor man. Said with a smile of course.

Hilarious for the Thais as you're a farang, but it gets the point across in a joky way that you aren't going to be ripped off or pay stupid 2 week millionaire prices.

I said this once to a policeman who stopped me while I was driving a 500SEL (borrowed) and who wanted 500 Baht for a fine. I told him I was a poor man. He pointed at the car and said I can't be poor as I have a big Mercedes. I told him I'd spent all my money on the car and had no money left. He burst out laughing and took 100 Baht.

OK, I am now hearing it more said by Thais about me. I am known in Pattaya by Thais and they know I live here all seasons, so they are treating me much differently.

I am hearing the KN word: kee neeo

which translates as stingy....

Just tell anyone who says you're "kêe nĭeow" ( ขี้เหนียว ) that you are "pray-aad" ( ประหยัด ) which means thrifty, economical, not wasteful.

Thankyou for the post jetset,

I am now accepting the term pla yaad ( how to pronounce , not spelt ) ( helps me remember ) from my mrs , this kee nieow stuff ticks me off !

TY :o

be careful of getting the pronunciation correct bai(y) yaat is not what you want to say.

Yes, "bpai yát" (ไปยัด) means "Go away", but in a rude way. Not sure just how rude, but on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 = f*** off), I would estimate it is about a 7.

They can call me what they like so long as my money stays in my pocket and not theirs.

It's easy for me to take the jibe while I'm taking care not to be scammed.

Anyway, no polite Thai would say this so I'm safe in assuming that anyone calling me kin niao is low life.

this post i agree with 100% ,the people who call you this only miss your money .

if they call you kee niaw, tell them: "wrong, im sup jang."

you will appreciate the reaction - it is slang for broke

Yep, its hard to be sticky if there's nothing to stick. Of course, we are assumed to be rich, so they may think you are not only stingy but a liar.

Another thing I just thought of. This Thai cultural relation of money to excrement is really very Freudian. Perhaps old Sigmund took a secret trip to Siam to cook up his theories.

Edited by Jingthing

Stop leaving one-baht tips, Jingthing!

For that post I will give 50 satangs.

I would say that this is one of those phrases where the meaning varies with context. While it is quite possible that it is used in an insulting way to Westerners this is not uniformly the case. I remember some time ago my wife describing her mother as 'kee neow', when she was actually suggesting that the old lady is quite canny and careful with money. I just discussed this with my wife and she says that the term can be used in a more benign, even positive way

I am hearing the KN word: kee neeo, which translates as stingy ...
... then you should probably investigate why they have this negative view of you.
Shouldn't be too big of an investigation.

For 40+ some posts we had to painfully hear again and again the inhumanity of being charged an extra 5 baht on bus fare because your not Thai.

Resulting in an altercation with the driver chasing you down and according to your post, tried to kill you per your police report. Then you change your avatar to a Taxi, to bring attention to another of your passions, the Pattaya Baht Bus Mafia ...

When a perfect stranger calls you cheap, it's probably not out of the blue, no offense intended but your most likely cheap, very cheap and routinely get called on it.

You say you tip normally, but from your posts and interactions with the locals I would be surprised if you tipped at all.

Again, nothing personal, but I or anybody I've every known in-country has ever been publicly insulted as to being so ostensibly cheap, it's an embarrassment to the rest of us.

As I stated previously, this compels me to over-tip to make up for you, so we're as a whole seen in a favorable light. :o

Ahh, the "cheap" issue. I think we all go through this. Is it an insult? Is it a joke? How should I respond? Am I being cheap? Are they being rude?

Generally it happens in the bars, when you make the adjustment from the free spending sucker to the tight fisted lump. If you feel insulted, insult them back – just say you are not cheap, you just spend your money on things with value, and you see nothing with value here (then get the hel_l out). Or, go the jaidee route – sorry, I have to pay for my child's schooling this week and he needs the money. Though personally, I go the shame route; I would ask who raised you to insult people in such a manner; I thought Thai people were kind, are you Thai, are you sure?

If outside of this context, you need to figure out what's going on. If a vendor called me cheap, I would move on to the next vendor. An old GF called me cheap once, and I lost it on her – though in retrospect, she was only doing some light hearted ribbing. It's not always easy in Thailand to figure out the context – it takes a lot of practice.

I have to say, no one has called me cheap in years. Why? I learned Thai and demand respect from people. If they do not give you respect, there is no reason to respect them.

Yes, but do you think there is even a tiny amount of respect hidden in the insult, saying you are too smart for our scams?

I do. :o

I don't think Thai people usually respect farangs who are totally careless with their money

Surely throwing away your money does not earn you any respect but just the "tington" label.

A really unconfortable one that requires much effort to be washed out.

Edited by Edonista