Binoculars And Where To By In Cm

tjthai

Depends what you're looking for. If you want top quality such as these...

leica-8x32-trinovid-bn.jpgS1025.jpg

then you can absolutely forget about CM - I've yet to find a retailer of Leica or Swarovski etc.. here. (correct me if i'm wrong)

its off to Bangkok for these i'm afraid (together with 1000GBP in your wallet)

if you're gonna be a casual user, any larger camera shop in town (Pantip Plaza perhaps) will have adequate budget models.. avoid anything over 10x

I need to buy some binoculars for a forthcoming trip to South Africa on Safari. Does anyone know of any retailers in CM? I have tried everywhere I can think of but not found any.

Thanks in advance

You can find Nikon and Cannon binocs in any good camera store, but they will be pocket size 8x20 or 10x 25.

There are many larger sizes in 'off brands' but the resolution is off, as it the construction. For a safari, I'd imagine you want the best you can get. There are two in Chiang Mai. But for the really larger, better quality 10x50 with good coated optices you'll have to go down to Bangkok I'd suggest the 10x50 size as the light gathering ability in low light conditions is wonderful. If you are really rich, look for the Cannon Image Stabilized 20x50 and REALLY see the world from far away!

Hi, thanks for the replies but I have looked in all the camera shops in CM and can't find any. Photo Bug, Big Camera etc. Any definite sightings of ones that are not too expensive - I like the sound of the small Nikon/Canon ones!

Thanks in advance.

Try Denchai. They did have good quality 8 x 30 and 10 x 50 when I was looking for a telescope 6 months ago plus they will order from Bangkok for you if not in stock. They had a Leica telescope in Bangkok but price tag was out of reach so fair bet you will find what you are after there by allow a couple of days to secure from Bangkok just in case.

Pantip Plaza in BKK has "some" decent ones among a lot of plastic junk. Russian optics are sold under the name "Mystery". They are not as good as Leica or Swarovsky (sp?) but they are good quality.

Look for a large exit pupil ....the size of the circle that your eye sees. Bigger circles mean more light comes into your eye and will not tire you or cause head aches with long use. Best to shop for them in a shop where you can look into a dark corner or evening time when you then can see how much light the lens collects.

I bought a pair 10x40 this week. Asking price 2850 they settled for 1500 baht. Do not come with caps but they are excellent for travel. Look at the monoculars as well......easy to carry and they do a good job. Cheers, MNS