Christmas In Thailand

silapin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone share there experiences of specific events/places etc? Carol singing, carol concerts and nativity shows etc for both families and adults.

the girls wear funny hats and play slade ,most western bars put up a tree ,all english restaurants lay on turkey and the trimmings :o

I remember a cracking Christmas I had in Koh Chang a few years ago. I was with a nice lass and we I was having a couple of cold beers on the beach. Being from a cold country it was great sunbathing on Christmas day. I said to her jokingly that a turkey would be great as it would seem really surreal.

She then told me top hop on the motorbike and head out to near the waterfall (I forget the name). When we got there there was an outdoor restaurant that only sold whole chickens roasted on revolving spits !!

I sat down, ordered a whole chicken (she had som tam funnily enough :o ) AND I ATE THE WHOLE dam_n THING :D

Brilliant !

avoid shoppingmalls from next week on!

The 'jingle bells in elevator-dub-mix' make me seriusly crazy every year.

First x-mas i was happy to not have to go trough all this, but its the same here as it is in germany -> all fake.

And for this is no need at all.

And to buy a gift for someone you really like is no need for that.

X-mas is just a big commercial this days.

We have christmas at home with the kids and have a bunch of friends over for lunch or dinner. Turkey, ham, stuffing, cake, lots of drinks. We have a big tree, music, the whole shooting match. I love it!!

my daughter always wants the tree up on december the 1st,she's thai but knows all about xmas and what comes with it bless her :o

Loved it as a kid, HATE it as an adult !

I don't celebrate, birthdays, valentine, christmas etc etc as it is all false.

I give to people on these occasions (family etc) but refuse anything for a birthday and so on.

My last birthday I told anybody that gave me anything was going in the bin ! I am probably weird but I hate people feeling obliged to spend money they cant spare on a change of a date on a man made calendar date.

NOW, hands up who would like to join this happy chappy for a pint on christmas day :o

BTW, BAH HUMBUG, Grrrrrrrr

Can anyone share there experiences of specific events/places etc? Carol singing, carol concerts and nativity shows etc for both families and adults.

Xmas in Thailand is even more a commercial event as in the west:most Thais don't even know what Xmas is about.

But they like sanook(bless them) and every excuse for sanook is appreciated.

As for myself the endless carols in every store drive me crazy. :o

I take my holiday leave and get the F out of Thailand :o This year we are having a white Xmas..mmmmm.Bring on the egg nog.

Can anyone recommend any festive music events? Carol singing etc...

Churches would have carols, but not sure if they have anything separate from church services. Holy Redeemer Church in Soi Ruam Rudee usually has a performance of Handel's Messiah a week or two before Christmas.

I am leaving England for Thailand next month and it will be my first Christmas away from home - and alone!

Any ideas of what to do will be gratefully received!

Aww Krupnik, i'm going back to England for this christmas or you could have come and had dinner with me. :o

Asked K wife a couple of years ago if she wanted a Xmas tree in the hoose but she said WHY?

..probabaly thinking of the cost...

Dont they always have one down in the "Wonder."..our local pub......OK forget it.... :o

Ahhh Christmas in Laos is great . . .it comes, it goes and no one gives a toss - well except for some sad falangs knocking around! :o

I ain't 'celebrated' christmas for the past 5 years or so and really do not miss it one jot! When we were in England we didn't even celebrate . . . my wife didn't even know what date Christmas day actually was. But then again why would she Buddhists don't care about Christmas just as Christians don't care about Lao New Year or any other Buddhist festivals.

Thankfully they don't have Christmas Carols here either!

25th and 26th of December are just another day - last year I remember clearly I went down the bank to get some cash to pay the builder for the 1st phase of the house build, before going to the site to overview the ongoing work.

This year . . probably be working.

I like christmas because it means there is an excuse to have a big tasty meal and lots of alcohol. Not into the other stuff though, what the reason we have christmas anyway?

Edited by madjbs

I like christmas because it means there is an excuse to have a big tasty meal and lots of alcohol. Not into the other stuff though, what the reason we have christmas anyway?

Do you live in Thailand? Why do you need an excuse to eat a nice meal and get drunk?

Good point, I think I was meaning that because there is an excuse I wont feel guilty for having a big meal and getting drunk, whereas every other night of the year I will be thinking im getting fat or killing my liver etc..

Christmas has its roots in the winter solstice, celebrated anciently as the birthday of the sun and the Persian deity Mithras.

And unfortunately it started being celebrated during the summer solstice down south.

I am leaving England for Thailand next month and it will be my first Christmas away from home - and alone!

Aww Krupnik, i'm going back to England for this christmas or you could have come and had dinner with me. :o

Aww, thanks for thinking of me! :D

Any recommendations or anything anyone?

Depends what you want and where you willbe.

Down here not many Farangs, so I tend to do stuff off the bat. Wifey insists on the tree thing, she thinks it's compulsory. It's the only meal of the year where I cook a farang meal. Chicken or pork, we have a small party with our Thai friends, any excuse to have drinks and sing badly. Yes we have the Karaoke on the pc. The locals like to see the tree outside all lit up on a night.

Aww, thanks for thinking of me! :D

Any recommendations or anything anyone?

Mrs XSH and I usually go to the Montien Riverside Hotel for the buffet lunch. Always up to standard and a pleasant environment.