Gregs New Sunrise Taco Place

PadThaiGuy

I have a bit of a habit of hitting this place at the wrong time. Last night I stopped in around 2-3AM, the place was packed which is good news for Greg (who was there by the way), but turned out to be bad news for me – they were out of ground beef.

Oh well the ham-n-cheese at 7-11 filled my late night munchy needs.

I like the place and the food – maybe I’ll have better luck next time?

Sorry that we sold out of the fground beef.

In fact I was there until 4 :30 a.m. I was working at the original location. I'm not a small guy so you must of been in the expansion location or that was the time I ran to the bathroom. :o We sold over 50 kilos of ground beef that day at Sunrise Tacos. Ground beef is a commodity that is very important its fresh as it has a short shelf life. We had even ordered more ground beef on Tuesday as the next day was the Kings birthday but we even used that quota up as well. As you said we were non stop packed. The good news I was able to source more ground beef on Kings Day and we have been ok since then. Just ordering more now. :D

By the way, our staff was very uncomfortable trying to explain to customers we sold out of the ground beef so they were happy I was around. Most people were switching to chicken or the steak. Still good choices.

Pickled jalapeños is another commodity we have sold out several times this week but this is due to our delivery orders being half what we ask for from the distributor. Shortage of jalapeños because of problems at the greenhouse.

Avocados is another area we had to pay top baht for as problems arose at customs in Australia so we now have switched to importing from New Zealand. Last week though I was paying three times the price just so we wouldn't disappoint customers.

We strive to always have what you want at the restaurant. We have beem fortunate for 99.9% of the time, to have everything and for it to still be fresh.

Hope to see you next time.

www.sunrisetacos.com

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while Greg is the visionary delivering fantastic food today.

Indeed, hats off to Greg for getting so much of this right. Waiting patiently in Pattaya for our local Sunrise Tacos (which I think of as Sunrise Burritos).

Thanks Jingthing. Hope to see you at the restaurant. Think Pattaya would be good for a franchisee but I'm still 6 months to 9 months away from that step.

www.sunrisetacos.com

As the main sponsor of Thaivisa.com since 2002, I could easily enforce the no negativity towards a sponsor and just allow positive posts. I however like hearing both sides. In fact, I ask for constructive criticism and why I'm giving 10% of the profits to a Thaivisa party for readers views.

Greg Lange

Sunrise Tacos

www.sunrisetacos.com

Yeh, thats why i got suspended for 10 days after my coments.

Wasn't it for your anti Australia comments ?

Zuki you sent me the following kind message so you confirm it was about another thread and was nothing about your comments on this thread. Have a Happy Holiday and all the best to you. Greg

Hi Greg-

It appears that my suspension was not because of the post i made in reference to your place, it was for my thoughts on the Astralian elections.

Everything i wrote in the post i made was fact, however i think i could have mad a much more diplomatic post than i did and from reading through the thread and your comments to me and other members it is clear that you are trying 100+ percent to get thing right and i admire that. Business in Thailand can be tough, i don't need to tell you that. Staff, suppliers etc the list could be almost endless.

I still go to the store at Emporium and very much enjoy the food, the staff have always been very good too. Sure it's a smaller outfit so it would be easier but i can see that this is the service you are trying to achieve at all your stores. Good luck with that, i'm sure it will come in time, though i will wait a little while before i try the Times square outlet again, but i will come back.

Thank you also for your kind offer to eat with you, that is much appreciated and great customer relations and much appreciated.

The next time i'm around i will look out for you and say hello, i too am going home for the holidays. Have a great time and safe journey.

Zuki.

If I were a businessperson operating a Mexican place in Thailand...

I think many are pleased that you remain an armchair restaurateur while Greg is the visionary delivering fantastic food today.

Was in the Soi 12 (original shop) yesterday, saw six customers, five of whom were Thai.

Had the fish tacos again, simply sublime.

Great to hear the fish tacos were great. We use fresh red snapper and a beer batter that many like you love. :o

You are right on how some Thais love our food. Mostly at the Emporium. Here is one Thai ladies comments.

http://jupspintoh.com/index.php?paged=3

Looking forward to seeing you at Sunrise Tacos.

www.sunrisetacos.com

In regards to YUM! bringing Taco Bell to Thailand anytime soon, I can say with some authority that it will likely be a long wait, if even in the near future, before we see any Nachos Bell Grande, Gorditas, or any of their other menu items in a Thailand location anytime soon. I agree with Jazzbo that it is much more likely that they dip their feet in the water through KFC menus, etc to see if there is an interest to the Thais.

I hardly doubt that they are salivating at the prospects that Sunrise Tacos, Taco Loco, and any other places are showing, even though they may be profitable standalone concepts to their respective owners. Until a Taco Bell could be placed in every Central, The Mall, Robinson, etc, it probably does not interest YUM! at all.

For now we are lucky to have the places that we have, and in my opinion, Sunrise Tacos is the best of the bunch and I will continue to eat there when I have the craving for a quick Taco or Burrito fix.

My two baht...

They are open in Singapore at one KFC location. It does lukewarm business. They also open in China under Taco Bell Grande and this is full service. Most comments are they don't have beans and its not spicy.

www.sunrisetacos.com

On a visit to the Suk 12 location the other day, I tried the current 3 fish tacos (plus rice and beans on the side) for 189 baht special. Very nicely done, and pretty tasty, and a good price for good food.

The tacos came literally jammed into the serving basket, overflowing with nice crispy greens, a good top serving of salsa and plenty of nicely done fish. Must say, the "hottest" version of the restaurant's different salsa offerings is now beginning to register on my salsa scale, which is a good thing. And I'm really glad Greg has added the choice of frijoles on the menu. They also were tasty and fairly authentically prepared, though came out with a bit of a "sitting in the serving tray" taste.

I ended up, a bit by accident, with the soft corn shell version of their tortillas, which literally were overwhelmed by the large portions of moist food inside. Next time I'll try the soft flour version, which is also available, and hopefully will stand up a bit better to all the contents.

The new expanded menu, with a lot of offerings before the original version, also is much appreciated.

Good job...John.

Hi John,

Good to hear the fish good.

If you like steak or chicken, you might try our sizzling fajitas as well. They are a big hit. Only 199 Baht for a lot of food. You will be happy and stuffed when you finished that plate! It's like wildfire when people see others order that plate. Soon the whole restaurant is full of the delicious aroma and the sizzling hot plates of fresh bell peppers and steak or chicken.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Just wanted to take the opportunity to say that I have had a number of meals at "Sunrise", both sitting in the friendly  restaurant and "take-a-way", and I LOVE the food! The quality is superb... personal favorite is a toss up between "Santa Anita - enchilada" and "Texas - steak Fajitas". Good food, good price, well done...  :o

Just wanted to take the opportunity to say that I have had a number of meals at "Sunrise", both sitting in the friendly  restaurant and "take-a-way", and I LOVE the food! The quality is superb... personal favorite is a toss up between "Santa Anita - enchilada" and "Texas - steak Fajitas". Good food, good price, well done...  :o

Fajitas!

When are you going to have them at the Emporium? :D

By the way, just checked out the new Sunrise Tacos web site - is it still in mid-development right now? It certainly looks like it needs some work doing on it. In my opinion, for what it's worth, the site looks pretty ropey and does not match up to the excellent standards of the Sunrise Tacos food.

The old site, while still not exactly cutting edge and wouldn't be anywhere on the Google rankings, at least looked a bit cleaner and more professional than this new version.

Fajitas on hot cast iron platter... what a great sound and smell. When I was working in Houston there was a Ninfa's across the freeway... They take credit for starting the whole 'fajita craze'.

I agree. What a great smell and sound. It uses all your senses and makes you say " Wow"

www.sunrisetacos.com

Just wanted to take the opportunity to say that I have had a number of meals at "Sunrise", both sitting in the friendly restaurant and "take-a-way", and I LOVE the food! The quality is superb... personal favorite is a toss up between "Santa Anita - enchilada" and "Texas - steak Fajitas". Good food, good price, well done...

Thanks ! Great to hear.

See you at Sunrise Tacos.

www.sunrisetacos.com

By the way, just checked out the new Sunrise Tacos web site - is it still in mid-development right now? It certainly looks like it needs some work doing on it. In my opinion, for what it's worth, the site looks pretty ropey and does not match up to the excellent standards of the Sunrise Tacos food.

The old site, while still not exactly cutting edge and wouldn't be anywhere on the Google rankings, at least looked a bit cleaner and more professional than this new version.

I agree.

This is what I get, when having my graphic designer try to be a web designer. :o The site needs work but iin fact he does well on Google in some areas such as top listing on the name "Sunrise Tacos" and " Mexican Grill" but needs help on phrases such as Mexican food in Bangkok, Mexican restaurant Bangkok, Taco Bangkok, Burrito Bangkok.

Will just hire someone else to do work on this website along with a couple others.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

www.sunrisetacos.com

The site needs work but iin fact he does well on Google in some areas such as top listing on the name "Sunrise Tacos" and " Mexican Grill"

Yes, the fact that you've moved over to an HTML based site rather than the previous Flash one will help greatly with the Google rankings.

i see that you own 16 restaurants in LOS, can you please tell us the names of them all? are all the subway franchises yours? if that is the case, i just want to say that Paragon Subway seems to routinely have much fresher food and service than the Silom branch.

No connection with the Silom branch. Only with six Subways and yes the Siam Paragon Subway is one that I'm connected with.

The other 5 Subways are at Suk Soi 4, Suk Soi 7/1, Suk Soi 33/1, khao San Rd, Junceylon in Phuket.

My wife and I are connected with the

Coffee World Suk 7/1

Chester Grill Ramkhamhaeng

Spichio Pizza Bangkok Hospital

Spichio Pizza Junceylon

Squeeze Bangkok Hospital

Squeeze Junceylon

Leelawadee.... Expressway Ramindra-Ekamai near the Meng-jay injunction.

The Glass Home Studio ... Expressway Ramindra-Ekamai near the Meng-jay injunction.

Cafe' De Leela... Expressway Ramindra-Ekamai near the Meng-jay injunction

Sunrise Tacos Suk Soi 12 -Soi 14

Sunrise Tacos Emporium

Sunrise Tacos Siam Paragon Jan 15th

Regards

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

i see that you own 16 restaurants in LOS, can you please tell us the names of them all? are all the subway franchises yours? if that is the case, i just want to say that Paragon Subway seems to routinely have much fresher food and service than the Silom branch.

No connection with the Silom branch. Only with six Subways and yes the Siam Paragon Subway is one that I'm connected with.

The other 5 Subways are at Suk Soi 4, Suk Soi 7/1, Suk Soi 33/1, khao San Rd, Junceylon in Phuket.

My wife and I are connected with the

Coffee World Suk 7/1

Chester Grill Ramkhamhaeng

Spichio Pizza Bangkok Hospital

Spichio Pizza Junceylon

Squeeze Bangkok Hospital

Squeeze Junceylon

Leelawadee.... Expressway Ramindra-Ekamai near the Meng-jay injunction.

The Glass Home Studio ... Expressway Ramindra-Ekamai near the Meng-jay injunction.

Cafe' De Leela... Expressway Ramindra-Ekamai near the Meng-jay injunction

Sunrise Tacos Suk Soi 12 -Soi 14

Sunrise Tacos Emporium

Sunrise Tacos Siam Paragon Jan 15th

Regards

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

You forgot O-Brian's on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 5.

You forgot O-Brian's on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 5.

It has been sold three months ago. Its now a Dim Sum Place. My wife wanted to relocate O'Brians as the building may be demolish in three years to make room for a hotel. In addition, they were increasing the rent, She no longer had the corner exposure as they let a tailor build a shop next to the ex-Obrians, No airconditioning after midnight or on weekends. The Dim Sum restaurant wanted exposure for three years and was ok with the changes.

O'Brian's is suppose to reopen inside The Villa at Soi 11. If you look behind the big curtain inside the Villa, you won't see the Wizard of Oz but a unfinished project as a dispute has continued till today between the Ambassador Hotel the Landlord and the Villa about construction. O'Brians has been caught in the middle as a tenant who needs to construct in order to open the restaurant.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Had an opportunity to see the new improved SUNRISE TACO restaurant last nite.

Located in the Leader Drug Plaza adjacent to Suk Soi 12 and Times Square.

Beautifully outfitted.

Well done Khun Greg.

Thanks for your comments and thank you for stopping by at Sunrise Tacos. I must give credit to my wife for her vision on the decoration.

Regards

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

Ah, I see. Shame the original location had to close though, I quite enjoyed the food. Hope you get the new one open soon!

I hope so to. A number of people have commented they miss the meatballs and hamburgers.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Had my first opportunity to try your place at lunch today. The food was up to my expectations, service was good, food served quickly and hot. Only negative was the air con seemed to be either not working or less than required for the room. We ate at the location next to Times Square across from the DHL shop. Seemed staff was getting food from the other side of the soi, so perhaps there was a problem that day with the electrics, anyway that's just a nit pick detail, will definitely be back again. This place is a good example of what can be done using quality ingredients, staying with a basic menu selection and focusing on quality. Can't believe its taken this many years to find a place (outside my own kitchen) to get a decent taco, or burro. I would highly suggest you take this idea to the next level, a full mexican resto with complete dinner menu. This city needs one.

Had my first opportunity to try your place at lunch today. The food was up to my expectations, service was good, food served quickly and hot. Only negative was the air con seemed to be either not working or less than required for the room. We ate at the location next to Times Square across from the DHL shop. Seemed staff was getting food from the other side of the soi, so perhaps there was a problem that day with the electrics, anyway that's just a nit pick detail, will definitely be back again. This place is a good example of what can be done using quality ingredients, staying with a basic menu selection and focusing on quality. Can't believe its taken this many years to find a place (outside my own kitchen) to get a decent taco, or burro. I would highly suggest you take this idea to the next level, a full mexican resto with complete dinner menu. This city needs one.

Thanks for stopping by. The counter is now up since 10 p.m. the night you visited so no more getting the food from the other side.

I will be doing full service in the future.

Just ate at a good Mexican restaurant tonight in NYC. Bout fell over on the $21.25 ++ charge for 5 cokes. So much for free refills. :-) But they did have some items that we also can carry in the future with a full service restaurant ( at a new location)

www.sunrisetacos.com

It certainly dont look like no O'brians is happening inside that Villa that I can see

The last I saw, it was still behind a big wall curtain. ( If you enter in from the first door off Suk Soi 11, it would be all the way to the right once you enter into the main section of the store) This was a couple weeks ago the wall curtain was still there.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I hope they deliver soon and it better be with chefsXP (dot com) cos they are the best!!! All restaurant prices. . . no rip-offs

We are delivering 24 hours with 7 staff but yes we are in talks with Chefsxp. They do charge 20- 25% to the restaurant but we are working on this. The owner seems like a nice guy and looks like we'll be hooking up.

wwww.sunrisetacos.com

I agree.

This is what I get, when having my graphic designer try to be a web designer. :o The site needs work but iin fact he does well on Google in some areas such as top listing on the name "Sunrise Tacos" and " Mexican Grill" but needs help on phrases such as Mexican food in Bangkok, Mexican restaurant Bangkok, Taco Bangkok, Burrito Bangkok.

Will just hire someone else to do work on this website along with a couple others.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Check out the new website www.sunrisetacos.com What do you think? Any additional ideas for this. Thanks

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

A vast improvement, well done! Much nicer and professional looking and, basically, looks like a "proper" web site unlike the two previous ones which looked more like temporary stop-gaps (which I guess is what they were...)

A couple of possible improvements - maybe make the menu section a bit clearer, perhaps replicating the "Step 1, Step 2, etc." system like you have in the restaurant. At the moment, for the uninitiated, it may not be so clear that you need to go through the steps to construct your taco.

Also on the About Us page, the first thing people read is: "The place is tiny and cramped, with only seating for seven inside, at a communal counter looking out over a sad parking lot. Some of the staff, while well-intentioned and enthusiastic, are not the most efficient.". OK, so the review does go on to become much more positive, but some people might only read the first few sentences, especially if just flicking through for the first time.

Some extra ideas? How about making delivery orders online? You'd need someone at your end monitoring a computer all the time to take the incoming orders of course, and not sure how practical that would be, but could provide a good alternative to phone and fax for people who want to order in.

Could be a good idea to put that video link back in, perhaps as a streaming video on the site rather than an external link if possible, as these kind of things keep people interested and, of course, it's a good video anyway.

Maybe mention future expansions also? E.g. the forthcoming Paragon branch, and any others on the horizon. Maybe in a "latest news" section, which could also include new menu additions, promotions, latest developments on the franchise program, etc.

Anyway, overall though, much better!

Edited by dantilley