Need Bmw 650cc

nikster

Hi All,

I want to buy a F 650 or the new G 650 Xcountry / Xchallenge - not anything bigger as I need it to be light. Monsters don't do so well in the mud up here.

So I know this is a long shot, but how / where can I get one on the cheap? Thai list price on bmw.co.th is about 600K baht or $18K - same bike in the U.S. costs $9K. $18K is a bit too steep for me esp. because it's probably not easy to sell so the loss will be big.

So I guess the only option is a used F650 but I have never seen one.

Questions:

- Can I get an "imported as parts" BMW somewhere?

- What are used prices for BMW and where can I check? I wouldn't mind buying this bike used b/c somebody who's spending 600K baht + will probably be careful with them :o

Thanks for any pointers... this is in or around Chiang Mai but I am certainly willing to travel to BKK if I must.

PS: I see somebody has a 1150 R for sale - thanks, but not what I am looking for.

They show up from time to time. Over the past year I have seen at least two or three advertised in English. Just lay back and give it some time. Check these ads, baht and sold, and the other familiar places like Golden Triangle web board. If you have a thai friend that will look for you, spend some time on motocy.com (you may have to do a search).

Used prices... whatever the market will bear actually. Figure about twice kelley book value should about do it.

Not that long ago bought a BMW G 650 Xmoto, and the new price is 639,000Bht, and this is new from an official BMW dealer. But the G 650 lineup starts with the G 650 Xcountry which only cost 582,000Bht.

If you more of a enduro bike type of a guy you can buy a F 650 GS which cost you 570,000Bht. And remember this are official BMW prices and out of a BMW dealer showroom, service and sales guys wear necktie and suites, no zigzag....etc

"fool-infected bike" that is a good one. But I belief that all the G 650 and F 650 had fuel-injection

LOL - thanks for translating that! :D

I love the looks of the G 650s and it would be perfect for me if somebody gave me 600K baht. As it is, I am looking to only spend about half that...

But do let me know if your wife ever gets tired of it... :o

Edited by nikster

Hi Nikster,

You maybe not have to wait that long as she already hit a Mitsubishi pickup (not her fault) and the bike is back at BMW for serious repair. She has now, temporarily, a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.

If you like the Motard style, why you not go for a brand new Kawasaki KLX300R, cost 460,000Baht direct from Kawasaki Thailand (including factory warranty...etc)

"fool-infected bike" that is a good one. But I belief that all the G 650 and F 650 had fuel-injection

LOL - thanks for translating that! :D

I love the looks of the G 650s and it would be perfect for me if somebody gave me 600K baht. As it is, I am looking to only spend about half that...

But do let me know if your wife ever gets tired of it... :o

Richard: That Kawa is a neat bike but I much prefer the BMW... I hope the wife is OK! Well guess she must be if she's already riding another big bike around :D

Flapman: Tx a lot for that link! Now I actually understand what you are saying.. :o I am all for "fool-infection", my little scooter has this and it gets the most amazing gas mileage, 50km/l... so fool-infection is good... :D

Edited by nikster

Hi Nikster,

The wife is fine, she breaks more bikes in a year then I lose telephones, and no joking I do that a lot, this her second sideway car impact her first was on a Ducati 1098S.

I can understand why you prefer a G 650, it drives like a Honda Wave and if you need it leaves some really big boy's far behind. On the other hand, if you looking for one of the early models, which where still breading with a carb, I say you probably better of buying a new Kawasaki then a 13 year old bike which was very likely illegally imported.

Seen it happen, you not get a happy smile if a guy on a Honda Phantom says we going to take the bike to the station to check the details and you never going to see it again....

Also, lucky we not need to pay, parts for the BMW are not at all cheap. The front assembly for a BMW costs so much that I wonder what the bike cost if I buy the bike without the front assembly....

By the way, my friends at Kawasaki, told me that I made a big mistake by telling you that the Kawasaki KLX300R cost 460k, that is the price for the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom, the KLX300R cost only 230,000Baht (change of tires to make it "better" Motard and some others details cost you a bit more). And if you smile enough they give the street kit for free...or give you a handsome discount.

Nothing beats buying a new bike direct from the manufacturer, paper work is 100% everything is clean and nothing is zigzag and for 200k I say buy a Kawa...

--------------------------------------------

Richard: That Kawa is a neat bike but I much prefer the BMW... I hope the wife is OK! Well guess she must be if she's already riding another big bike around :D

Flapman: Tx a lot for that link! Now I actually understand what you are saying.. :o I am all for "fool-infection", my little scooter has this and it gets the most amazing gas mileage, 50km/l... so fool-infection is good... :D

RedBaron also has a nice bike for sale....I drove a Suzuki DRZ400S in Bangkok before if is one of the best. The asking price from RedBaron is a bit off..... but maybe they punched a few wrong numbers on the keyboard when they typed it....

http://www.redbaronbkk.com/products/item.p...=070824-0000022

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/20...bike-Streetbike

230 K makes a lot more sense... I do agree with you about buying a bike w/ proper papers. Also new cars/bikes generally seem to be a better deal in Thailand than in other countries. Used cars/bikes are just relatively expensive.

The local police station is displaying about 100 bikes of all makes and colors that were confiscated for lack of registration.

Funny I was not so long ago at Ducati on Sukhumvit Rd. (Bangkok) we still have a Ducati 1098S in repair which is highly in need of parts from the mother-country.

But prices for a Ducati starts at 559,000Baht for a Monster S2R Dark and end somewhere in between the 2 and 3 million for the newest 1098R...

Second, the small market share of Kawasaki is based on everything with 2 wheels and a motor, lets check the market share of legal road bikes larger then 200cc engine displacement. I guess we see a whole different picture, and the cape between the brands is much smaller.....

A price of 230,000 baht or US$6,795 is competitive with a BMW that's twice as big, or to a Ducatti one-liter. Recently I saw Kawasaki's share of the Thai motorcycle market; it's under 5% if I recall.

Funny I was not so long ago at Ducati on Sukhumvit Rd. (Bangkok) we still have a Ducati 1098S in repair which is highly in need of parts from the mother-country.

But prices for a Ducati starts at 559,000Baht for a Monster S2R Dark and end somewhere in between the 2 and 3 million for the newest 1098R...

Second, the small market share of Kawasaki is based on everything with 2 wheels and a motor, lets check the market share of legal road bikes larger then 200cc engine displacement. I guess we see a whole different picture, and the cape between the brands is much smaller.....

A price of 230,000 baht or US$6,795 is competitive with a BMW that's twice as big, or to a Ducatti one-liter. Recently I saw Kawasaki's share of the Thai motorcycle market; it's under 5% if I recall.

Good point, Richard. The entire market of over-200 cc (legal, and properly licensed) is a small but significant sector. You mention that your Ducati is still in the shop to get parts from the mother country, and that's understandable for a new super-exotic (I recall an interview with Terblanche that they were trying to design Ducatis with more assemblies rather than separate parts numbers). How many certified Kawasaki mechanics at Thai dealerships could work on a 300? I recall waiting a week in central Texas to get standard parts for mass-imported Japanese current models. I've always feared a big bike would be immobile for months without proper parts.

I guess, that there are enough qualified Kawasaki mechanics in Bangkok as the engine, which difference not much from the KLX250 or D-tracker 250 are made in Thailand. I cannot find any clarification if the KLX300R is also made in Thailand.

For spare parts, Kawasaki has it pretty good arranged, as the Southeast distribution center, where also lots of spare parts are made is located in Thailand. For the Ducati, we can easily get the parts more quickly and maybe even cheaper, but then most of the delay is not Ducati but the insurance company who needs to pay for it. The owner of the car my g/f hit tried almost everything to get away with not paying.

Is this Kawi not made in Thailand?

If so, then why is it some 60,000 B more than the same bike in The States? The green book value added is not near 60K price differential on a duty paid USD price.

I am tempted to buy one, but gall at the extra 60K

The Kawasaki KLX300R, which is fully road legal, if bought from Kawasaki comes with all the paperwork, including a shiny new green book...
I wonder if registration is included or is it off road only?

How can it be road legal without turn signals and a horn?

The Kawasaki KLX300R, which is fully road legal, if bought from Kawasaki comes with all the paperwork, including a shiny new green book...
I wonder if registration is included or is it off road only?

How can it be road legal without turn signals and a horn?

Not requirements, we ride enduro bikes and moto crossers on the road, no problem.ins yes, all else seems optional. ( you can also ride a bike with no lights etc in the uk, daytime only, if not fitted )

I dont see a comparison in the 2 bikes at all ( the bmw and a klx300 ) one is a dual purpose bike, the other a road bike , dont beleive me, try the bmw off road, come out with us on a sunday, ! no its more of an africa twin ,and unless your name is stephan peterhansel stay on the tarmac or gravel roads,! ( pic is of the late john deacon from plymouth devon who was a personal friend of mine,,the only brit to have won a stage on the dakar, he could have won it but was killed in another race in the emirates,.this is him in the dunes on his factory bmw650,. dont try this at home !

post-41326-1194840549_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

I want to buy a F 650 or the new G 650 Xcountry / Xchallenge - not anything bigger as I need it to be light. Monsters don't do so well in the mud up here.

So I know this is a long shot, but how / where can I get one on the cheap? Thai list price on bmw.co.th is about 600K baht or $18K - same bike in the U.S. costs $9K. $18K is a bit too steep for me esp. because it's probably not easy to sell so the loss will be big.

So I guess the only option is a used F650 but I have never seen one.

Questions:

- Can I get an "imported as parts" BMW somewhere?

- What are used prices for BMW and where can I check? I wouldn't mind buying this bike used b/c somebody who's spending 600K baht + will probably be careful with them :o

Thanks for any pointers... this is in or around Chiang Mai but I am certainly willing to travel to BKK if I must.

PS: I see somebody has a 1150 R for sale - thanks, but not what I am looking for.

Mud, f650 ? bad combination, (unless flat and not a lot of it ), you should also consider a suzuki drz400, a good bike that will do it all, red baron had 2 new ones,