Horse Racing In Bangkok

thaifever2007

been a while but they had ice cold beer cheap.

Betting is not the same per the odds board as in the west. Seems most people were off track betting by cell phone.

One race I put 200 baht on a horse that won 8-1 odds. I got back 260 baht for the winner.

Friend was betting place & show which I think was the same, 2nd or 3rd place paid same.

He got back what he bet, no profit so I guess it is mainly for the sport and the betting pool funds must of paid

the horses.

Edited by Khun ?

Haven't made it to the BK tracks yet, but it sounds like betting is the same as at Chaing Mai, ie a Tote system. You'll have to research this yourelf, but basically the odds keep changing right up until the bell, depending on how much money has been laid down, resulting in a huge flurry of late betting.

In Chiang Mai, it was always fixed, and success depended on finding out who it was fixed in favour of. Info would spread through the crowd like wildfire. I got friendly with a paddock guy once who took my programme and marked 6 races. All of them won or came second. You get occassional upsets, although that usually results in the winning jockey (14 year olds, usually) getting a right rollicking from the owners etc.

Sounds a waste of time, but it's actually fascinating. And a great excuse to sit around eating chicken and drinking beer.