Bringing Pets To Thailand

dandn

I will be coming to Pattaya in early December to look at housing availability. After we have settled into a community we want to bring our pet Bob Marley (cat) to Thailand to live with us. Is it difficult to bring pets into the country?

I brought 2 cats with me when I came here from Singapore in 2001. Thai airways in Thailand told me to hand carry them in the cabin. When I checked in the Airline rep in Singapore said they had to be put in the hold with the cargo. Took me 1 day and an absolute nightmare at the cargo center to get them out with all kinds of invented charges and duties coming to over 25,000 baht. When I tried to claim from the airline this end they said I should have put them in the cabin and carried them on and off the airplane then there is no problem Duh.!!

Choose to travel with your pet on an airline that will allow them in the cabin and get it in writing before you go to the airport otherwise you can end up with endless grief and conflicting stories from each end of the journey.

I have been told that no airline will allow pets in cabin now - but that could be wrong info. But I have had no problem bringing pets into Thailand - last time was 2004. Had to see the vet (?) at the airport but no problem. I think it's more of a problem getting pets out.