Max-net Sucks!

Ulysses G.

Recently I learned that international bandwidth is restricted (no idea how) to Indy subscribers and an upgrade to the Premier package can resolve this, in fact the call centre told me that "Indy is for Thai, Premier is for farang"!!
From what I have gathered from talking to Maxnet there seems to be some sort of filtering/rationing system in place for international bandwidth - I have no clue as to the technical details but that could possibly explain the patterns you mention.

Differences between Indy and Premier:

Indy apparently has international VOIP capped at 40KB/sec, though their capping system either doesn't work very well, or Skype's technology is able to work around it somewhat effectively. Premier is apparently not capped in this way.

Indy has a high share ratio - initially (i.e. a few years ago) it was published as 20:1 but my guess is they're stretching it out to something more like 50:1 these days (which would be inline with the other budget DSL plans). Similarly, Premier used to have a 5:1 ratio but I'm guessing they've stretched it out to something more like 10:1 now.

Neither Indy nor Premier are capped for international data over the "regular" ports (e.g. HTTP:80, HTTPS:443, FTP:21, NNTP:110 etc).

Going back many moons ago, it took most Western ISP's many months to work the kinks out of their DSL networks - for early adopters back then the situation was not much different to what MaxNet users are seeing now. The question is: how long will it take their Thai counterparts to get on top of it? :o

Indy apparently has international VOIP capped at 40KB/sec, though their capping system either doesn't work very well, or Skype's technology is able to work around it somewhat effectively. Premier is apparently not capped in this way.

Indy has a high share ratio - initially (i.e. a few years ago) it was published as 20:1 but my guess is they're stretching it out to something more like 50:1 these days (which would be inline with the other budget DSL plans). Similarly, Premier used to have a 5:1 ratio but I'm guessing they've stretched it out to something more like 10:1 now.

Neither Indy nor Premier are capped for international data over the "regular" ports (e.g. HTTP:80, HTTPS:443, FTP:21, NNTP:110 etc).

Going back many moons ago, it took most Western ISP's many months to work the kinks out of their DSL networks - for early adopters back then the situation was not much different to what MaxNet users are seeing now. The question is: how long will it take their Thai counterparts to get on top of it? :o

Thanks for the more informative clarification. You make a good point about the teething problems - Thailand is essentially in the early adopter phase of broadband albeit somewhat supercharged.

Looking forward to improved Skype service after my Premier account kicks in on Friday!

JxP

I don't know if it is too early to be optimistic but thought I would pass this on.

I finally got MaxNet to send over a technician who jiggled a wire or two outside the house and since doing it my connection is working better than it ever has. Just did a speed test using the TV speed tester at 7.00PM and got 2063 download. It's been over 2000 on every check since he did whatever he did. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was the problem.

Anyway, having someone come out seems to be the best way to go about checking out the problem since it might just be something as simple as a loose connection or two. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

check your phone hardware. I suffered for 2 years and finally I had enough and the problem was a 20 baht piece of hardware in my phone box just outside the house. constant dropping of connection and low speed was almost eliminated. it isn't always the problem at maxnet.

check your phone hardware. I suffered for 2 years and finally I had enough and the problem was a 20 baht piece of hardware in my phone box just outside the house. constant dropping of connection and low speed was almost eliminated. it isn't always the problem at maxnet.

For those of us who don't know their cable from their CAT5, does anyone have a recommendation for a tech type who can check kit, connections etc so that if Maxnet (or whoever) say the problem is at the user end one can say with all confidence "No, not possible!". I know that I have several wires hanging loose that probably should either be removed or connected(!) as a reminder of the work undertaken by TT&T.

JxP

Thanks for the more informative clarification. You make a good point about the teething problems - Thailand is essentially in the early adopter phase of broadband albeit somewhat supercharged.

Looking forward to improved Skype service after my Premier account kicks in on Friday!

JxP

Update as threatened:

- Premier account due to start on Friday November 16 - username and password to be sent by SMS

- Call to Maxnet in the afternoon produced an SMS that provided my existing Indy username (username@indy) and password

- Call to Maxnet resulted in being educated to the fact that Maxnet can change the service provided without the username and password being altered

- Slow and regularly dropped connection on Saturday

- Call to Maxnet asking for reasons for slow connection and dropped connections resulted in a call out being booked with the Chiang Mai office

- Slow and regularly dropped connection on Sunday

- Calls to Maxnet 1103 and Chiang Mai resulted in a promise of a technician's visit

- Technician agreed that connection was bad, technician was persuaded to check, check again and then check again that there were no new login details available

- New Premier username (username@premier) and password issued

- Improved connection reliability, minor improvement to speed

- Technician changed physical line in street so that service is shared with Mr B instead of Mr A (?!?!)

- Excellent connection, no dropped connections . . . . yet (Monday and Tuesday)

Exact number of calls made along with cynical comments and expletives have been left out of this report in order to protect the innocent.

Currently averaging 1300/400, not one failed FTP transaction (previously 80% success rate), great BBC radio streaming, very much improved Skype connection, and blockages with large email attachments no longer interrupting service.

It seems to be worth persevering (and paying a bit more).

JxP