More Rain More Floods

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now its getting to much, hahaha!

Still ok where i live, a brand new area with working drain system. No problems at all. But when the food in the freezer is done (2 days more) and i actually have to go out there.....hmmm. Hope it stops soon. The samui "roadsystem" is not made for heavy rain. Cant help but wonder how big develepors (along lakeroad for instans) think in this matter. Putting millions in great projects along a road that is undriveble during rain!! On an island in the tropics! :o Well, surprice, surprice, we got a monsun once a year. Perhaps this could be considered when the next road is made?

Anyway, it is getting a bit serious now, hope you all are ok out there. :D

Is the ferry definitely still running today? Need to get to BK as soon as I can! :o

I don't understand why there is concern over whether the ferry is running or not, not wanting to be facietous but they do sail best in water. We are not having storms or strong winds which normally cause problems.

Anyhow, I just came back to Nathon on the 3.00pm and it arrived at (Seatran) 10 mins. earlier than normal.

3m waves according to the TMD. Yes, we are having big waves as per normal this time of year.

An active low pressure cell covers the lower southern Thailand causes abundant rain and heavy to very heavy falls from Chumphon southwards. People in risky areas of Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phangnga, Phuket and Krabi provinces should beware of torrential rain and flash flood condition during 1-2 days. Due to wave height 2-3 meters in the Gulf and the Andaman Sea, all ships should proceed with caution and small boats in the Gulf keep ashore in this period. A nearly intense high pressure area over upper Thailand causes cool and very cold in mountain tops.

The tropical storm “PEIPAH” covers in the South China Sea. It’s expected to downgrade and dissipate near shore of Vietnam. It take no effect of severe weather on Thailand in the time.

Source: Thai Meteorological Dept

But, since it looks like the typhoon won't effect us that way, here's hoping it doesn't turn into a tropical depression. Too bad there isn't a smiley with its fingers crossed

Now its getting to much, hahaha!

Still ok where i live, a brand new area with working drain system. No problems at all. But when the food in the freezer is done (2 days more) and i actually have to go out there.....hmmm. Hope it stops soon. The samui "roadsystem" is not made for heavy rain. Cant help but wonder how big develepors (along lakeroad for instans) think in this matter. Putting millions in great projects along a road that is undriveble during rain!! On an island in the tropics! :o Well, surprice, surprice, we got a monsun once a year. Perhaps this could be considered when the next road is made?

Anyway, it is getting a bit serious now, hope you all are ok out there. :D

Your right. Big surprise indeed! It is the sheer thoughtless development which is so frustrating, and the blindingly obvious consequences of the developers actions is beyond belief. Once the trees are felled we see the top soil running off the hills

and watch as the newly constructed drains fill with silt and then overflow. Look at Big C. No thought given to the water run off and the flooding of the ring. Seems as though the developers and the authorities responsible for planning and approval are one and the same.

Wonder when we will get the first outbreak of Cholera?

I am sorry for the frustration,injury,damage and loss incurred by this heavy rain.

But will it wash away the green scum that has been resident on Lamai beach?

Its raining here in Singapore also but the chance of clean beaches in Singers died with Raffles.

I really like Samui,,,but not the dirty sea there.

Just back from Big C - road fine all the way from Lamai where it is blocked off, to Big C. Some flooding but plenty of motorbikes, cars and trucks getting though it. Then made the mistake of seeing if we could get through to Poppies from the Chaweng Noi end - not a good idea, however drove up onto the courtyard and it was still knee deep there. Turned right as we exited and left again somewhere near the Bangkok Bank to the bridge that was blocked off into two a couple of years ago to stop trucks from entering. Land built up on either side after the bridge where it would have flooded before so possibly why it's bad on the road. Lots of cars and bikes on the back road. Also cars turning in and out of the Laem Din turning from the main road so not sure how far you can get into that turning. If you pass the army/DM moo bahn then as we did you could pass out some M150 or something to keep the moral up! They're out there day and night in the pouring rain...

Koh Samui district chief Adisorn Kamnerdsiri declared the island a disaster zone yesterday due to the scale of flooding. "I have instructed Tambon Samui Municipality to release floodwater into the sea as quickly as possible. If any construction is obstructing the water flow, it can be removed to minimise the impact on people," Adisorn said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/11/09...es_30055439.php

Let's remove any construction is obstructing the water flow. :o

Check out some of the comments in this article.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=123406

Disaster in Samui

Some tour operators did not appreciate the safety precautions being taken by Bangkok Airways.

By Supapong Chaolan and Nucharee Rakrun

Bangkok Post

The tourist mecca of Koh Samui was officially declared a disaster zone on Thursday after two days and a night of heavy rain inundated the Gulf of Thailand island and grounded all air service.

Level of the Reservoir has receded, so have the floods, things are getting back to rather normal Monsoon Seasonal flooding.

Only at places like Talaad Dao - Chaweng - Laem Din where flooding had been most dramatic, the situation hasn't improved much!

Flights resume at Samui airport; rains continue

SURAT THANI, Nov 9 (TNA) - The airport on Samui Island reopened Friday morning after over 1,000 tourists were stranded when all flights were cancelled on Thursday due to bad weather conditions.

The first flight took place at 6am and travellers were on board, leaving to other destinations.

However, heavy rains are continuing in the province and flooding on Samui Island is still worrisome due to forest run-off and high tides. Local officials face difficulty in draining water into the sea.

Samui Island was declared a disaster zone Thursday after torrential rains pelted and flooding across the popular Gulf of Thailand tourist destination left many key locations and roadways awash or otherwise inaccessible.

Meanwhile, the meteorological department said a low pressure cell covering lower southern Thailand caused abundant rain and heavy rainfall from Chumphon southwards.

Local residents in Chumphon, Surat Thani, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Pattani, Yala, Phangnga, Phuket and Krabi should take precautions for possible torrential rain and flash floods during this period.

Small boats are advised to keep ashore due to 2-3 metre-high waves in the Gulf of Thailand. (TNA)-E004,E110

MCOT news

Just been around from Chaweng to Lamai and things seem almost back to normal.

The ocean in Chaweng is flat like a mirror, no wind, it's almost nice.

No real hard rain is predicted for the next couple of days, so things look bright again.

Just been around from Chaweng to Lamai and things seem almost back to normal.

The ocean in Chaweng is flat like a mirror, no wind, it's almost nice.

No real hard rain is predicted for the next couple of days, so things look bright again.

Lets hope so! i think we all need a break and try to get back to some sort of normallity,maybe now the authorities will pull there fingers out and get the necessary things corrected instead of waiting until next year when the rains come and then start repairing the roads with sub-standard materials and labor,get the pro's in from the mainland,but i will not hold my breath :o

Just covered all the main road from Lamai to Fisherman's Village then back to Big Buddha, Plai Laem, Cheong Mon which was the only ropey part, then back on the main road through Chaweng turned off before Bangkok bank, down the back road past Ban Had Ngam School, on tot he main road, through to Lamai turning just after Bauhaus and back through to the Tamarind turning, all Lamai roads open now. Not such a great trip for the relatives, but at least they got out of the hotel on day 3! Will know when husband gets back from dropping them back whether the road outside Poppies is passable. Can't drop them off there unless they want to wade though :o

Meatgrowler...

"aha it is you!...you own the wave restaurant,and your english! "

Come on...sober up now...how's your memory...?

I was in your house about a year ago...remember...? :o

Dont own The Wave and is not english...

Still on Samui?

If so, see ya on Irish Times for a pint. :D

Meatgrowler...

"aha it is you!...you own the wave restaurant,and your english! "

Come on...sober up now...how's your memory...?

I was in your house about a year ago...remember...? :D

Dont own The Wave and is not english...

Still on Samui?

If so, see ya on Irish Times for a pint. :D

Sorry dude,i must be mistaken,...i thought you were advertising the wave....ive nipped in a few times and its run by a english guy,possibly oz or nz,thought it might ta been you....reckon your mistaken too as cant recall you being round my gaff,ive only nipped in irish times once,for a cheeseburger and a coke a month ago,back in the uk at the mo,but back in december,may well meet ya for a pint... :o