You Know, It Would Be Nice If.....

ZEAK

all the song taos that stop in front of Central Kad Suan Kao, pulled into the drive that is there to pick up and drop off people. Instead of creating a traffic jam day in and day out. Its right there, just pull back the metal fence that is blocking it. Why not?? Honest, give a good reason why this does not make 100% sense to do? It is such a simple solution to a huge problem.

As soon as I approach Central I have to turn my Thai driving spidy senses to high,,,as all this traffic has to worm and wiggle in slow mo to get around slow moving, soot spewing song taos. It sucks. Untalie mahk leau!!

all the song taos that stop in front of Central Kad Suan Kao, pulled into the drive that is there to pick up and drop off people. Instead of creating a traffic jam day in and day out. Its right there, just pull back the metal fence that is blocking it. Why not?? Honest, give a good reason why this does not make 100% sense to do? It is such a simple solution to a huge problem.

As soon as I approach Central I have to turn my Thai driving spidy senses to high,,,as all this traffic has to worm and wiggle in slow mo to get around slow moving, soot spewing song taos. It sucks. Untalie mahk leau!!

And you have lived in Thailand now how long and ask a question like this?

:o

CB

And you have lived in Thailand now how long and ask a question like this?

CB

Ya, I know. But I am asking this question to see what can be done about it. Really, is change impossible here? I don't think so, just....difficult.

If agreements were made with the local "deum ruat" to kinda, guide, or shall I say herd, the song toas into the drive to pick up people and drop them off, eventually, they would understand. And imagine the delight of all the traffic that would be able to flow past central with out a care!

Anyone offer any suggestions?

(edit) Anyone offer any "constructive" suggestions?

Edited by ZEAK

After you succeed with this - start getting through the idea that putting barriers or lights or even a bit of string as a warning about the big pits they dig and then leave in the middle to the road. How about the lengths of reinforce steel poking out of the ground from construction sites or the 240v electrical wire hanging across the road at farung head height.

Have fun but don't sweat the small stuff - you will only end up frustrated and bitter.

CB

Oh, Mr. Crowy.... such a cynic. Some things change here for the better. Where and why is the mystery. Can't blame the guy for asking. I have a couple cases in point that someone's paying attention somewhere...

1. The newer barriers by the intersection of Suthep w/ Nimmanhaemin close to Wing 41 where you turn onto Nimm to go by CMU's art museum and head toward the central city. There was always trouble here with people using the turning lane to go straight and messing it up for everybody. Also turners from N-S traffic taking up the lane of the E bound turners onto Nimm. I haven't paid attention though go by often, but I could swear the plastic orange n white thingys are already replaced by cement and brick. Same thing has been done several places around the outside of the moat to protect the turners. Good job. It's something.

2. Went to eat at one of my favorite foodcarts opp Changpuak Gate last night, and noticed they no longer allow the cars to double and triple park to grab their food and obstruct the eastbound traffic on Manee Nopparat. A cop was there shooing the cars onward and not allowing them to park. NOW, it would make most sense if they then offered them some place where they COULD pull over and grab their stuff. Without that - and I didn't see any designated place - there's going to be an uphill battle to keep it up. But for now they're onto something as far as correcting one of the several clusterfkucs around town.

And so... our OP has a point. It's not impossible. I would just urge him to find out who makes the decisions... it's gonna take some ambition and some hefty Thai talking. Does he have the wherewithall to do it? That's the next question. It's a tall order for anyone. But first off, you gotta dream that dream. And I say go for it, dude!

Oh, Mr. Crowy.... such a cynic.

A cynic is an optimist who recognises reality

CB

So then CB, you believe that the 'reality' is that nothing can be done? That sounds awefully like a Thai attitude to me......'mai pen rai, song taos only stop for a minute whats the problem'? What utter cr@p! The problem is they are are pain in the ass, and not just at Central! They stop where they like because of driver attitude. They have no regard for other drivers period! I agree with the OP 1000%. It might be a slow change but its definately possible and, more to the point, practical.

What exactly is wrong with the Thai attitude? Why do some farangs have to be soooo stressed out all the time? You should try the Thai attitude, you might enjoy it. Deeeeep breath and relax.... :o

Edited by madjbs

What exactly is wrong with the Thai attitude? Why do some farangs have to be soooo stressed out all the time? You should try the Thai attitude, you might enjoy it. Deeeeep breath and relax.... :o

Yeah, stress is the number one killer. But if I see something that might be able to be improved, I can attempt to change it without getting stressed out. Having said that, a lot of Thais are a little too relaxed about the things around them, hence the way things are. With a little ambition, major changes could happen. It does not take much, but it does take something. Everyone can see that there is a problem, but there is no one to do anything about it. Or should I say, no one wants to do anything about it.

Things are on the verge of going in circles here. I will say that I do believe rot daengs are maybe the most dangerous vehicles on the streets. That's not to mention that they chug black stuff by the cubic meter-full wherever they go. And that you will often see /pass maybe 5-6 in a row, each with one or sometimes no passengers in them whatsoever - a huge waste of space and fuel. Now then, that out of the way, there is some progress being made with public transport in CM w/ regards to busses and taxis (don't start!), but the red car union is a mighty one.

Overall I don't stress about it. Cuz here's the thing..... if you/ we could imbue the Thais with all of our gung-ho ambition to change and be more like us who 'know how to do things right...blah blah blah.....' eventually we would end up with our own dam_n countries of origin. There is alot to be said to being able to resist the urge to 'fix' things. They really may not be wrong in the first place - as maybe it is OUR perceptions that are wrong! Anyway, try to improve things too much, and down the line you may get just what you asked for.... an annoying country of too much regulation and rules, and uptight people worried too much about time and efficiency.

Understood. Sometimes, like when we cannot score even in a cathouse, we have to take matters 'in hand'.

There are orange cone factories all over the place and since I am here to change Thailand to my liking, I carry a bunch of them in my car. Perhaps you have seen them yourself all over town.

When you park, put one behind your car and voila, nobody double parks behind you! Seen a traffic nightmare somewhere? Since government agencies do not communicate with one another, nobody knows who put out the cones and they are all afraid to remove them. I am gratified that you like my work at Neemyhummin..

Why, I bet if you went out at 3am and blocked off a major road, a week later the cones would still be there!

I have literally dozens of 'reserved parking' spots all over town but don't mention this on a public forum, okay?

What an odd thread... :o

Things are on the verge of going in circles here. I will say that I do believe rot daengs are maybe the most dangerous vehicles on the streets. That's not to mention that they chug black stuff by the cubic meter-full wherever they go. And that you will often see /pass maybe 5-6 in a row, each with one or sometimes no passengers in them whatsoever - a huge waste of space and fuel. Now then, that out of the way, there is some progress being made with public transport in CM w/ regards to busses and taxis (don't start!), but the red car union is a mighty one.

Overall I don't stress about it. Cuz here's the thing..... if you/ we could imbue the Thais with all of our gung-ho ambition to change and be more like us who 'know how to do things right...blah blah blah.....' eventually we would end up with our own dam_n countries of origin. There is alot to be said to being able to resist the urge to 'fix' things. They really may not be wrong in the first place - as maybe it is OUR perceptions that are wrong! Anyway, try to improve things too much, and down the line you may get just what you asked for.... an annoying country of too much regulation and rules, and uptight people worried too much about time and efficiency.

Thats a different perspective. Your right, we could all end up living in Singapore!! Now who would want that?

I think the key, like the teachings is, find the middle path. Fix what needs fixing, but try not to go overboard with rule and regs and such. But like Crow mentioned, there are more pressing things that need to be addressed. Gaping holes and live wires, not fun. But then again, who am I? Right?

I think the key, like the teachings is, find the middle path. Fix what needs fixing, but try not to go overboard with rule and regs and such. But like Crow mentioned, there are more pressing things that need to be addressed. Gaping holes and live wires, not fun. But then again, who am I? Right?

Actually the teachings help us to learn acceptance not change what we think "needs fixing" Lots of foreigners in Thailand stand around and say things like "the things that are wrong with this country" or "what the Thais have to do is ..........." They are constantly projecting their own values on a culture that is not like it is back there in where ever. There are lots of things that used to frustrate me about Thailand, there are still lots of things I don't understand. There are some things that I would like to see different but it is not my place to start telling the Thai what to do. I live here and I love living here but I would never be so arrogant as to think that I have the right to change them.

The Thais are changing and some of it is for the good. Some I think is in a mistaken belief that because it is done in the West it must be better. The one thing that fills me with dread is waking up one morning and looking around to see a copy of what I left to come here.

However getting back to the OP I think that if you really think that the situation is dangerous and I personally regularly go past that stretch of road with out any problems or rising blood pressure then take your idea to the Centre Management Office inside KSK. They will undoutably be aware of the situation but if they feel it warrants being changed will be the ones to do it.

CB

Understood. Sometimes, like when we cannot score even in a cathouse, we have to take matters 'in hand'.

There are orange cone factories all over the place and since I am here to change Thailand to my liking, I carry a bunch of them in my car. Perhaps you have seen them yourself all over town.

When you park, put one behind your car and voila, nobody double parks behind you! Seen a traffic nightmare somewhere? Since government agencies do not communicate with one another, nobody knows who put out the cones and they are all afraid to remove them. I am gratified that you like my work at Neemyhummin..

Why, I bet if you went out at 3am and blocked off a major road, a week later the cones would still be there!

I have literally dozens of 'reserved parking' spots all over town but don't mention this on a public forum, okay?

What an odd thread... :o

Good work Dustoff. :D

Actually the teachings help us to learn acceptance not change what we think "needs fixing" Lots of foreigners in Thailand stand around and say things like "the things that are wrong with this country" or "what the Thais have to do is ..........." They are constantly projecting their own values on a culture that is not like it is back there in where ever. There are lots of things that used to frustrate me about Thailand, there are still lots of things I don't understand. There are some things that I would like to see different but it is not my place to start telling the Thai what to do. I live here and I love living here but I would never be so arrogant as to think that I have the right to change them.

The Thais are changing and some of it is for the good. Some I think is in a mistaken belief that because it is done in the West it must be better. The one thing that fills me with dread is waking up one morning and looking around to see a copy of what I left to come here.

However getting back to the OP I think that if you really think that the situation is dangerous and I personally regularly go past that stretch of road with out any problems or rising blood pressure then take your idea to the Centre Management Office inside KSK. They will undoutably be aware of the situation but if they feel it warrants being changed will be the ones to do it.

CB

If you live here, you are part of this country, no? So I say yes, you do have a right to try to make change. It has nothing about being arrogant, though I know what you mean about farungs getting off on each other by pointing out all that is wrong with Thailand. Its about living in a place and seeing a way to improve something that might be within your power, and then trying to do it. Its about at least making an attempt, instead of just moaning about it like we all do.

I think that this culture would like to change, as when I talk to my TG about issues here, she knows that there are problems, but know one knows how to address them. I say, one at a time. Start small with the things that are in your power. She and I recently went to Canada for a trip, and you know what the she said? "All the drivers here, drive so.....organized". I had to laugh, and said, yeah, those white lines on the road actually mean something.

Its just that we as people get accustomed to things so easily. I think it must be part of some survival instinct, as if you fail to adapt to the situation your stick out, become a target, etc. I find that I am just as bad a driver as the Thais.....when I am here in Thailand. I drive the way they do because....every one else is doing it. So mehhh, no big deal. I used to not like how no one stops for people trying to cross the road, even at a crosswalk. So how to go about changing that? Well, all I can do is stop myself, when ever I see one trying to cross. But I have noticed that when I stop, others follow.

I dont want to see Thailand like the west, but I sure dont want to see go to the other end of the spectrum. All I am saying is there is a very real possibility of making this place safer/ better. (I believe no traffic jams in front of KSK is better). Yes, there are serious issues here with poverty, disabled people, education and many other issues, but that is no reason not to address the less serious issues as well.

Thanks for your thought, I will take the idea to the management at KSK and bounce it off them. I mean, the worst that can happen is they say " farung ba", and that is something I can live with.

who are we to change attitudes? agree with CB. go get a chill beer for half the price you would pay back home and then think about it again. stress would just kill ya!

I live here with my TG. I own property. This is my home. I think I am well within my right to want to make some small but constructive changes to issues that affect me. Not getting stressed out about it, already said there is no need for stress. But not going to sit back on a bar stool and say "mai ben rai" like all the other farung. To each there own.

Thanks for your thought, I will take the idea to the management at KSK and bounce it off them. I mean, the worst that can happen is they say " farung ba", and that is something I can live with.

It would be nice if you could spend that same "energy" in curbing the Mio Gang issue.

It would be nice if you could spend that same "energy" in curbing the Mio Gang issue.

What issue??

It would be nice if you could spend your "energy" in giving some constructive thoughts, instead of being a smart ass. Smart ass.

Driving around the moat in the evenings, there are choke points near at least two gates, Changpuak and ChiangMai. Also, on Moon Muang near the top. The other night, my motorcycle could just barely get through some points with inches to spare. I don't even try to drive the car in town at night, after my first attempt very 'accidentally' discovered a line of motorcycles that are never there in daylight. Bangkok must be even worse for driving. I get fenced in just shopping at 7-11, and I admit to parking the bike at the curb illegally on Sutehp Road, to go into Lotus Express.

So, the choke point in front of Central on Huay Kaew is just another place to slow down and thread through the traffic. Also, in front of Maharaj hospital, where I was too hasty and found my ankle pinned against a songtaew.

What issue??

It would be nice if you could spend your "energy" in giving some constructive thoughts, instead of being a smart ass. Smart ass.

i'll take that as a compliment :o

wonder when farungs would stop complaining/whining about every dam_n thing.

While I too believe that the songtaos can create a traffic slowup in front of KSK, it's only a 'project' to be solved, not a problem to worry over. The idea of opening the fence is a good one, but then who's to say how long a truck may remain standing in front of the building inside the fence, waiting for a fare? I'm sure none of them wish to leave with no passengers, but how long is 'too long?' Wouldn't this require a traffic controller to keep things flowing? Often there is a police officer there to keep them from blocking up the road on the week ends, and even he has difficulties. Opening the fence is like lighting a candle. While it does create light, it also casts a shadow. Both sides of the issue have to be addressed.

The songtauos are actually a clever traffic calming measure with the benefit that pedestrians can easily cross the road due to the fact that there is only one lane of slow moving cars. How difficult would it be to cross the road with two lanes of fast moving traffic?

I don’t think it needs to be changed…..unlike the Mio Gang who should be a priority to be dealt with.

The songtauos are actually a clever traffic calming measure with the benefit that pedestrians can easily cross the road due to the fact that there is only one lane of slow moving cars. How difficult would it be to cross the road with two lanes of fast moving traffic?

I don’t think it needs to be changed…..unlike the Mio Gang who should be a priority to be dealt with.

You make a point, it is easier to cross on foot when the traffic gets all bunged up and is slowly trying to sort its self out. But I see that as no reason not to try to fix the issue in front of KSK. Instead, how about a foot bridge that goes over the road and into KSK? I see them everywhere, even places where they really are not needed as there is no one trying to cross. But here, one is needed. And being made of concrete and rebar, I do not think they are very expensive. And think of all the hotties that could fill it during the outdoor party when its Songran!!

Just today, as I turned the corner I saw a police officer giving a ticket to a young motor cycle driver, while behind him no more than a foot was a "do not park" sign.....and then 5 parked songtoas. I had to laugh....while I gave my head a shake. It was one of those "picture perfect" moments.

You make a point, it is easier to cross on foot when the traffic gets all bunged up and is slowly trying to sort its self out. But I see that as no reason not to try to fix the issue in front of KSK. Instead, how about a foot bridge that goes over the road and into KSK? I see them everywhere, even places where they really are not needed as there is no one trying to cross. But here, one is needed. And being made of concrete and rebar, I do not think they are very expensive. And think of all the hotties that could fill it during the outdoor party when its Songran!!

Just today, as I turned the corner I saw a police officer giving a ticket to a young motor cycle driver, while behind him no more than a foot was a "do not park" sign.....and then 5 parked songtoas. I had to laugh....while I gave my head a shake. It was one of those "picture perfect" moments.

build a footbridge to cater to hotties during songkran, now thats an investment! and a possibility. am sure many liquor and beer companies would be more than happy to sponsor such a construction.

build a footbridge to cater to hotties during songkran, now thats an investment! and a possibility. am sure many liquor and beer companies would be more than happy to sponsor such a construction.

Yeah, I would also throw in a few thousand baht to help the project! Anyone else??

Or maybe Central might be interested in undertaking it themselves. As really, its where all these people that are scrambling across the road are trying to go!

edit:( to fix my sepelling )

Edited by ZEAK

Now this is an idea that I could really get behind . . . and under. :o

JxP