Changing Names (Thais)

Tywais

I remember reading in Bangkok Post, about once every year, that a list of new auspicious Thai names have been blessed by Buddhist monks and released to be used by new name applicants.

I'm not sure about the process but as far as I remember only one user per name. I also had the impression these were family names but not sure about this.

Anyone got more info on this?

up until last year all our thai workers did the same stunt; new names, new passport, new visa.... now everything is fingerprinted and in the computer so that doesnt work anymore.

thai parents arent insulted by name changes as often it is the monks that give the name and if a person doesnt individually like it, like most buddhist things, then u change it to suit you. most thai have nicknames from birth that most people know them by. lek, dang, mai, noi, dam, the usual stuff.

my husband has a girl's name: anong (gentle). his nickname is noi. he calls himself anon (a buddhist monk from the time of buddha) when introducing himself to new people and other thai that arent pi/nong or from his home area cause he likes the name and the person behind it.

as for paperwork. show me a thai that actually deals or acknowledges paperwork. i know of several thai men who 'married by proxy' to a woman i.e. on paper at the amphur, just o be written as 'married' for visa purposes for jobs (unmarried men werent accepted as 'not supporting family'). the women were often wives by village ceremony of brothers/cousins. just think of the nightmare if a farang wants to marry someone like this. u have to undo all the paperwork... anon has his name written a million different ways on different documentation; its a nightmare, but he didnt bother with it all cause he doesnt think its important. what difference does a name spelled this way or that matter. why do we need a driver's license, and i.d. etc etc...

bina

bina

Edited by bina

my missus did it a year ago after a trip to the temple. she hated her name as it was old style thai etc...

boonham now rujilapa

i prefer the later to be honest

In the case of your gf I really can understand it .

You know what 'ham ' means in the northerd dialect right ?

The new name suits much better .

My wife also changed her name in the past , her name was chun (welcome :o ) ,

and changed it to a new one more to her liking .

I think many people do change their names because they give them very awkward

names in the first place , many times a given name from old grandma in those old

days , which are most of the times names like you do not even want to give your dog or cat !

Although now under the younger it seems like a hype , which is a bit wrong , should not be a fashion

or superstitious thing , but heh its how Thais can be , so ......just like that .

:D

If my names was weird I would definately change it. Imagina having a name

<deleted> Yo

Wayne Kerr

<deleted> Mi

or something along those lines, if i had a really long name i would probaly change it too

Funny you mention that. A few years back I was reviewing documents for an insurance adjusting case and saw a name change document. I wondered why the women (Thai Chinese) had changed her name until I read her original family name in Thai, which when read sounded very much like Fuk Yu. No doubt in my mind why she changed her name! :o

Edited by qualtrough

Have you ever known a Thai names 'shit' ?

In those days, it was quite popular among elderly males (long before the words; LOS, Farang, BG, BIB etc were invented.

My very good friend from Thammasart went to work for THAI airway right after graduated in early '70. They have 'kub-ton Shit' flies the Europe routes. Immagine, when he makes announcement (during take off, in flight, or landing) to his passengers.... "This is captain Shit speaking" :o:D:D

I have at least 5 supposedly educated "senior engineer" clients working for major oil refineries who have recently changed their names...? :D

"Please feel free to pick up an engineering degree on the way to the fortune teller..." :o Jeebus.

You guys just like to mock anything you don't believe don't you? Just for the record, the Thai's think we farangs are pretty whacked out also.

You know, we have this crazy religious cult where women change their name, put on a white dress and have a big ceremony where they marry the dead founder of their religion. Cult's name? Catholicism. :D

Anything you don't understand can sound crazy if you don't grow up with it.

BTW, my wife changed her name because she thought it wasn't lucky. Didn't need the fortune teller. Did it all on her own. Her parents thought it was a very normal thing. I have a feeling mine would be offended if I did the same thing.

---------------------------

I am a Catholic and personally find your comment offensive... :D

guy walks in wants to get his named changed from Joe Hogbristle. Asked what new name he'd like he says Mike , I hate everyone saying hello Joe what ya know. ( terrible I know but known that joke for years and never used it.)

signed,

Yorick Hunt.

^^^

how ya like that one Dr.PP :o

Back home you have to go through court proceedings and a lot of red tape to do this AFAIK

It's a fairly simple affair to change you name back in the UK. A visit to a solicitors who will draw up a Deed Poll (Deed of name change) which you sign and get witnessed. Done and dusted! I did it when I was 18 and officially became Christopher Hunt!

Yes thats C.Hunt

and I know not to call my children Isaac Hunt or Cillac Hunt or Waddac Hunt, Mike or Yorak! :D:o

I wants to change my name to ZUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you mean "Zeus", supreme Greek god of the Olympians...? I'd confirm the spelling before you actually, legally change your name, or have any tattoos done, sparky. :D

I wouldn't worry too much, one of the symbols of Zeus was, ' Bull'. :o

You know, we have this crazy religious cult where women change their name, put on a white dress and have a big ceremony where they marry the dead founder of their religion. Cult's name? Catholicism. :D

Are you singling out Catholicism or did you actually know you are rather blithely referring to Christianity as a whole, admittedly in a very blinkered manner.

Moss