Egg Nog

Mosha

It was pretty expensive in the US too, except during the holidays when the markets put it on sale at a lower price as a 'loss leader'.

http://256.com/gray/recipes/eggnog/

Raw eggs: People ask about the raw eggs in the eggnog. My grandfather always said that the alcohol "cures" the eggs although I'm not sure that's true. I tried pasteurized eggs in 2004 and they do not work. They didn't separate well and the whites did not froth up at all. The FDA says that in unpasteurized eggs, one in 20,000 contain bad bacteria. I have made (and drunk) at least 100 batches and have never felt ill or had one of my guests feel bad. I usually buy the eggs just before I made the eggnog and keep them well refrigerated. In 2005 I made a batch with some organic eggs laid the day before and I've never had such yolks or foam. Yummy! I try to smell the egg when I crack it open and although I have never gotten a bad egg over the years -- I did get some bad cream. You can also try gently lowering the eggs into a container of water. Bad eggs should float because of a build up of gases, old eggs should sink slowly, while good eggs should sink nicely to the bottom of the container.

If you use raw eggs, make sure they are from healthy chickens. This alone will lower the chances greatly. Washing the eggs helps a bit too. Even if you do eat the bad bacteria, you won't die.

I saw it being sold at Villa in a small bottle for 500 baht. That's too expensive in my book. In America I saw a small milk container of it for a few US dollars.

We are making egg nog (the boozy version) for our customers for X-mas - I do love those orders especially all the tasting :D anybody wants any, send me a message and I let you know price and volume - we usually bottle the nog in 250ml plastic bottles -

I heat the nog during the production process to 70C - and it is safe - was asked by Villa last year if I was gonna make some and they gave me a sample of their usual imported stuff from the US ...... it was a kind of thin custard with a bit of nutmeg flavor but NO booze at all .... not what I call Egg-Nog - its more eggs without the nog :o

John