My Grass Lawn In Pattaya... How Do I Keep It Green?

Weho

I have a good sized lawn, and all I do is water it... am I supposed to occasionally do something else, like fertilizer??? I haven't a clue... it gets brown spots, seems like they are growing... i would like it more lush, more green... what should I do??

thanks for any help!

I have a good sized lawn, and all I do is water it... am I supposed to occasionally do something else, like fertilizer??? I haven't a clue... it gets brown spots, seems like they are growing... i would like it more lush, more green... what should I do??

thanks for any help!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies... it was really helpful information, and I'm most appreciative.

This is a most exciting forum, and I am pleased that you have welcomed me into your world of farming, most warmly.

thanks for any help!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies... it was really helpful information, and I'm most appreciative.

This is a most exciting forum, and I am pleased that you have welcomed me into your world of farming, most warmly.

Pee on the brown spots

thanks for any help!

Go to homepro and buy some large tins of green paint.

thanks for any help!

Apart from the fertilizer....only water the lawn AFTER the sun sets...

If it rains....don't water the lawn :o

LaoPo

Try and buy some 16-16-16 fertiliser ( Thai-- Vitamins) about 600B for 40kgs. Spread this by hand on the grass at the rate of about 'one good hand-full per square metre' this will help feed the grass and develop a strong root system. DONT WATER TOO REGULARLY, this will only encourage the grass to develop a shallow root system. Water the grass with a VERY thorough drenching at the late evening. Cut the grass every 3/4 days and this will encourage the grass to 'fine up' and make a nicer looking lawn.

I hope that this is of some help, and please ignore the pratts that have nothing better to do than suggest that you 'paint the grass green'!

Thank you to the non-comedians who replied, and gave useful information. I believe each of us has some expertise in at least one area, and I can assure you, lawn care is NOT my forte... I will do the fertilizer thing at once...

P.S. I hope the comedians weren't doing the best "A" material... if they were, then they need to hon their skills a bit more.

thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum though strictly speaking this is a farming forum not a gardening forum. Anyhow, you did get some good replies; just ignore the others. Basically fertilizer, water and mowing should keep your lawn green. If you leave the cuttings to decay on the lawn then probably you will not need to fertilize so much as the nutrients in the leaves will be recycled. The other thing that you may need to do is remove weeds now and again. Back in our home countries you can find selective herbicides to do that but I am not sure about here in Thailand. I find it easier to just dig out the odd weed.

JB

• 3 weeks later...

LAWN UPDATE: I used that 16-16-16 vitamin fertilizer, pretty expensive, i think 1,200 baht for a 50 kilo bag... but it made a HUGE difference... really worked well... lawn is quite lush and green. I used up about 2/3 of the bag.

May I add that I really enjoy this forum... i'm pretty much a "lurker" here, but it's so real here.. down to earth... unlike the Pattaya forum.

LAWN UPDATE: I used that 16-16-16 vitamin fertilizer, pretty expensive, i think 1,200 baht for a 50 kilo bag... but it made a HUGE difference... really worked well... lawn is quite lush and green. I used up about 2/3 of the bag.

May I add that I really enjoy this forum... i'm pretty much a "lurker" here, but it's so real here.. down to earth... unlike the Pattaya forum.

Great. Now, if you want to make your neighbors come over and say "hey, why is your grass so thick and green?" try this. Add Sulfate of Ammonia at a rate of 2 kg per 100 square meters. Put it on in the evening and make sure the lawn is dry before you add it. Afterwards hose it down to make sure it gets to the roots and not lay on the blades of grass because it will burn the heck out of it. Apply every 2 weeks and....wholla, you'll have a super thick, strong, green lawn. The envy of your neighbors!

What kind of mower do you have? :-)

rgds

Looks like you paid a little too much for the fertiliser there weho. Last time I checked you could get a decent 15-15-15 for about 525B - 50kg.

Tip - Chicken farms sell there chicken manure at the end of every 45 day cycle quite cheaply if you are willing to go and load it yourself. :o

isnt the type of grass you use vital.

There are lots of grass types that I know off some like more water then other grow faster and so on.

As fart as I know Bermuda Grass is the greenest and needs the least amount of work also doesnt grow too long so doesnt need to get mowed every other day.

Would be easy to buy online and create your own lawn from scratch.

Great. Now, if you want to make your neighbors come over and say "hey, why is your grass so thick and green?" try this. Add Sulfate of Ammonia at a rate of 2 kg per 100 square meters. Put it on in the evening and make sure the lawn is dry before you add it. Afterwards hose it down to make sure it gets to the roots and not lay on the blades of grass because it will burn the heck out of it. Apply every 2 weeks and....wholla, you'll have a super thick, strong, green lawn. The envy of your neighbors!

What kind of mower do you have? :-)

rgds

Hi

Bought some 16 16 16 today in local market 20 baht a kilo, I am fairly sure it said on the original sack that sulphate of Ammonia was one of the ingredients.

Watered it into the lawn this evening so time will tell!

TBWG :o

I'll tell you what I do............every time you cut/trim the lawn make sure you give it a good firm rake......it'll seem like your pulling most of it out but don't worry......if its ya yippon it copes with the hot weather.........keep it reg watered ....perhaps you or whoever laid the turf didnt turn over and properly prepare the soil........ :o .....hope that helps......the idea is to help encourage new growth which is stronger the brown patches might need to be removed in square portions then relaid with new turf or reseeded....of course when you do this make sure the soil is not clogged with stones or clay

Edited by dee123

• 1 month later...

Just seen this and glad my suggestion did the trick! I bought another 50kg bag of 16-16-16 the other week and it cost 920B at my local faming shop. Reckon that I use about 40kg every time I feed the lawns, but it is really worth the money to see the lawns developing. I am now using a 'top dressing' of 'river sand' which I shake onto the grass from one of those large earth baskets that the Thais love so much - very effective as a cullender for the sand.