*shock* No Oil Filter In Honda Air Blade Or Click

howard251

I recently purchased a new Honda Air Blade motorcycle from Niyom Panich, near Airport Plaza and the Toyota dealer. I was told to come in for my 1st servicing at 1,000 kilometers. Today I had reached 961 kilometers and decided to have it serviced a little early. I knew a new engine that had just been broken in must have a lot of metal shavings floating around with the oil.

I asked to have the oil changed and the filter as well. He said they only change the filter at 10,000 kilometers which shocked me. I asked how much for the oil filter and he said 120 baht. I said I’ll pay for it, please change it anyway. As promised the servicing took just under and hour.

When it was time to pay the cashier she said in English, total bill 197 baht to change oil and replace air filter. I said they were supposed to replace the oil filter and the oil, not the air filter. She contacted the service technician who came over and told me, only the Honda Air Blade and Click in Thailand have no oil filter to change. It’s a new technology which has a built in internal screen that need to be checked and cleaned every 4,000 kilometers; it replaces what use to be a standard oil filter.

In the world there are oil filters that get replaced when changing the oil in you car, lawn mowers and every type of motorcycle made, except the Thailand made Honda Air Blade and Click.

Are there any mechanics out there that can explain to me what in technology changed that no longer requires an oil filter to be installed and replaced in the Honda Air Blade when changing the oil? It’s a new one to me and I’m confused.

Watch them change the oil in my AirBlade. The engine only has .9 liters of oil when dry and only takes .7 liters during an oil change. With that little volume of oil a filter would have to be very small and the problem with a small filter is they clog up so a screen in place of a filter would make sense. And always change oil every 3000 km.

Honda have done away for oil filters on most of their smaller bikes for years now.

It used to worry me in the past as I am old school and like the idea of a filter over a small metal mesh.

However, Honda reliability speaks for itself, just keep changing the oil at recommended intervals.

Honda have done away for oil filters on most of their smaller bikes for years now.

It used to worry me in the past as I am old school and like the idea of a filter over a small metal mesh.

However, Honda reliability speaks for itself, just keep changing the oil at recommended intervals.

I can confirm this.

About 30 to 35 years ago when I first started racing, I had an SL70 & an XR75 (Honda "midi" bikes). Both of these had screen type oil filters.

I recently purchased a new Honda Air Blade motorcycle from Niyom Panich, near Airport Plaza and the Toyota dealer. I was told to come in for my 1st servicing at 1,000 kilometers. Today I had reached 961 kilometers and decided to have it serviced a little early. I knew a new engine that had just been broken in must have a lot of metal shavings floating around with the oil.

I asked to have the oil changed and the filter as well. He said they only change the filter at 10,000 kilometers which shocked me. I asked how much for the oil filter and he said 120 baht. I said I’ll pay for it, please change it anyway. As promised the servicing took just under and hour.

When it was time to pay the cashier she said in English, total bill 197 baht to change oil and replace air filter. I said they were supposed to replace the oil filter and the oil, not the air filter. She contacted the service technician who came over and told me, only the Honda Air Blade and Click in Thailand have no oil filter to change. It’s a new technology which has a built in internal screen that need to be checked and cleaned every 4,000 kilometers; it replaces what use to be a standard oil filter.

In the world there are oil filters that get replaced when changing the oil in you car, lawn mowers and every type of motorcycle made, except the Thailand made Honda Air Blade and Click.

Are there any mechanics out there that can explain to me what in technology changed that no longer requires an oil filter to be installed and replaced in the Honda Air Blade when changing the oil? It’s a new one to me and I’m confused.

it's the bit about "shavings" and "broken in" that you need to focus on.

Production methods nowadays are far different from the 50s and 60s....engines don't need "running in" - in fact it can be diadvatageous to do so. There should be no more detritus than at any normal service....the manufacturers have decided that irt is not necessary to fit a removeable filter as the new arrangment is cheaper and does the job it is meant to do. UIt's unlikely that fitting a filter will get a longer life for your vehicle but if it makes you feel happy, I dout if it would be too difficult.

• 12 years later...

The oil capacity is about 0.8 of a litre. Use 10/30 grade of reputable big name brand oil. 

I would thoroughly recommend watching your mechanic servicing your bike evwry time as many are very sloppy and not consistent. From what I have experienced over the years, they do not let all the dirty oil drain out properly, nor do they do up nuts tightly and sometimes forget to actually put some nuts back on the housing altogether.!

I've had a service where he didn't put enough new

oil into the sump.

One guy told me it didn't need a new air filter after 24.000km and when l opened it up at home and checked it myself, it was flithy!

It is unfortunate but l can not find a reliable and competent mechanic here so l'm now doing the servicing myself. 

The reason for this lack of confidence is simply because many local 'mechanics' are not trained properly.