Regarding Tourist Visa

Hi,

Im coming to Thailand in a couple of weeks or so and am planning a trip which will involve Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam also.

My question is on arrival in Thailand do i just get a 30day tourist visa as normal or will they query as to why my onward flight isn't until December time?...or will they just assume i will be entering and re-entering the country?

Sorry if this is a stupid question haha :o)

Thanks,

Nick

I will attempt to answer this, but welcome comments from more expert people if I am incorrect.

The short answer is technically you really need a 2 month tourist visa in your passport, obtained in the UK. However, if you choose to try to travel without one ...

1. Your problem might occur at the airport in the UK when you are flying to Thailand. If you don't have a two month Thai tourist visa, they may not even allow you on the flight because of your travel dates, return ticket, UK to BKK. They are afraid they will have to pay for your flight out of Thailand if the Thai authorities won't let you in. You might be able to convince them if you have air tickets to show out of Thailand that show you will only be there under 30 days. If you insist on trying this, I would call the airline and ask for their policy.

2. It is unlikely if you make it to BKK immigration that they will ask you to show your flight tickets. It is more likely if you fit the backpacker image. If they did ask, it might help to have the air ticket out of Thailand before 30 days.

BTW -- I have done exactly what you are doing without a two month tourist visa largely out of ignorance of the need for one. I figured as long as I was going to leave Thailand before 30 days and then return on another 30 day stamp, I was never going to overstay, so no problem. However, it turns out I was lucky the airline in the US did not stop me from boarding because of lack of visa.

As said the rule is that to obtain the 30 day stay without visa you must have onward transportation proof. Many airlines will check this and even if one person says no problem the person checking you in may be the final authority and they may not be having a good day.

If you have a visa it is not an issue. If you have a (refundable ticket within the 30 days) it is not an issue. If you have money/time to buy at airport if required it will probably not be an issue.