newby

Hello,

Next september we are visiting the following destinations for our Honeymoon:

Singapore 3 nights

Bali 5 nights

Hong Kong 3 nights

Bangkok 3 nights

Phucket 7 nights

I was wondering what injections or pre medication we we will need before we go?

I understand that these are also quite costly?

any advise would be helpfull.

Thanks

I have travelled to all of the above destinations and I have never had any injections at all. The most I ever took was the pills for malaria when going on a 3 day hill tribe trek in Northern Thailand. Doctors might tell you otherwise but I have spent 20 years of living and travelling in these areas and never had a problem, good luck and have a nice trip.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have been advised by our travel agent and i'm sure my doctor will advise me to have the injecttions etc. But if possible i would rather not have them, as i have herd that the side effect can be quite bad and in some cases spoil the trip.

If we don't have them, would our travel insurance be invalid?

thanks

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have been advised by our travel agent and i'm sure my doctor will advise me to have the injecttions etc. But if possible i would rather not have them, as i have herd that the side effect can be quite bad and in some cases spoil the trip.

If we don't have them, would our travel insurance be invalid?

thanks

I endorse the advice above, dont even bother to bring bags of standard medication either, should you need anything everything is available over the counter at pharmacies in those areas (and cheaper!)

Presumably you are covered for the things advised in the west like TB and tetanus anyway and you are no more at risk in your destinations than at home (unless there is an epidemic before you travel!)

You'll be far more at risk to your health if you hire a m/c in Phuket and drive it around but the doctors dont warn you about that!

Wouldn't know about your travel insurance (never had any of that either!), I wouldn't think so but best ask them.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Newby, I strongly disagree with the comments you've received thus far. You should seriously consider Hepatitis A & Typhoid along with ensuring that your Tetanus & Polio are up to date. If you anticipate having close contact i.e. sexual relations with the locals, then Hepatitis B should also be considered. For what it's worth I've never bothered with the latter though, some farangs would disagree with me, arguing that you should have it irrespective of lifestyle risk - I've debated this subject in the health forum. Similarly, some would suggest Rabies shots, especially if you're going off the beaten track.

Anti-Malaria prophylaxis is recommended for certain areas - indeed the locals often dispute the presence of Malaria in these areas. Certainly for the trip you're proposing don't bother, but you should still try and avoid bites; dengue fever is endemic to the areas your visiting, there's no vaccine and your visit is at prime time.

Going back to Hepatitis A, of all people, I know a hygiene inspector who actually contracted it, whilst on assignment for a major Hotel in Manila. Most SE Asians have immunity to this - it's highly likely you wont. The symptons can be very mild to extremely severe - the afore mentioned individual sufferred the latter & thoroughly regretted his failure to obtain vaccination and by the way, the suspected source were tiger prawns. It's quite possible that some of the previous posters have contracted Hepatitis A without developing symptons or, very minor symptons that have been attributed to something else; subsequently they have developed immunity without even knowing.

I've never experienced any side effects with Hep A, typhoid, Tetanus or, Polio, except my first Typhoid shot back in the 80's but, it's a different vaccine now and I haven't spoke to anyone who's suffered more than a sore arm with new one. Now, you've also got the option of an oral typhoid vaccine but, the protection doesn't last as long (1 year as opposed to 3). Side effects with certain anti-malarials are well publicised but, you really don't need to consider prophylaxis for your trip.

Where are you from? At my GP in the UK, the shots I've mentioned are free - I believe you have to pay for the oral typhoid vaccine. The day they start charging, I'll get them done in Bangkok at the Thai Red Cross.

I would keep all of these injections up to date if I were you. They were/are all free from most practices in the UK:

Hep A

Polio

Typhoid

Tetanus/Diphtheria

My clinic in England also offered free Hep B.

Jap E

Rabis

I had to pay for these, and they're not cheap!

I would also pack a first aid kit with the usual antiseptic plasters paracetamol etc.

Have a nice trip.

CC.

Edited by crewcut

Thanks all for the, especially Clayton for the indepth info.

I live in England, and as i am on my honeymoon i'm not planning any 'contact' with the locals :o

I think just for peace of mind i will get some of the main injections from my GP.

I hear that Jap E, Rabis are very expensive.

AS isaid in my original post.......the only thing putting me off really is incase the side effects....if any spoil my holiday?

Newby, I strongly disagree with the comments you've received thus far. You should seriously consider Hepatitis A & Typhoid along with ensuring that your Tetanus & Polio are up to date. If you anticipate having close contact i.e. sexual relations with the locals, then Hepatitis B should also be considered. For what it's worth I've never bothered with the latter though, some farangs would disagree with me, arguing that you should have it irrespective of lifestyle risk - I've debated this subject in the health forum. Similarly, some would suggest Rabies shots, especially if you're going off the beaten track.

Anti-Malaria prophylaxis is recommended for certain areas - indeed the locals often dispute the presence of Malaria in these areas. Certainly for the trip you're proposing don't bother, but you should still try and avoid bites; dengue fever is endemic to the areas your visiting, there's no vaccine and your visit is at prime time.

Going back to Hepatitis A, of all people, I know a hygiene inspector who actually contracted it, whilst on assignment for a major Hotel in Manila. Most SE Asians have immunity to this - it's highly likely you wont. The symptons can be very mild to extremely severe - the afore mentioned individual sufferred the latter & thoroughly regretted his failure to obtain vaccination and by the way, the suspected source were tiger prawns. It's quite possible that some of the previous posters have contracted Hepatitis A without developing symptons or, very minor symptons that have been attributed to something else; subsequently they have developed immunity without even knowing.

I've never experienced any side effects with Hep A, typhoid, Tetanus or, Polio, except my first Typhoid shot back in the 80's but, it's a different vaccine now and I haven't spoke to anyone who's suffered more than a sore arm with new one. Now, you've also got the option of an oral typhoid vaccine but, the protection doesn't last as long (1 year as opposed to 3). Side effects with certain anti-malarials are well publicised but, you really don't need to consider prophylaxis for your trip.

Where are you from? At my GP in the UK, the shots I've mentioned are free - I believe you have to pay for the oral typhoid vaccine. The day they start charging, I'll get them done in Bangkok at the Thai Red Cross.

Classic !!! Sexual relations with the locals !! Good God man the guy is on honeymoon for goodness sake

I live in England, and as i am on my honeymoon i'm not planning any 'contact' with the locals :o

Sexual contact was just an example; Hep B is far more virulent than the HIV virus and studies have suggested that it could be transmitted through mucous & saliva in close contact environments so, another example would be if you are a first aider. Casual contact shouldn't be a problem so don't worry about it. As I said, I've never bothered with the Hepatitis B vaccine, though some individuals are concerned enough to have it even though they don't fall in the high risk category. I suppose the argument for, is that in the event of requiring medical treatment, you potentially join the high risk group. A couple of months ago I read in Science Daily that in the US there had been the first ever documented case of Hepatitis B transmission between two patients at a dentist. The US actually recommends childhood Hepatitis B vaccination. The vast majority who do contract Hepatitis B make a full recovery and develop immunity - a minority develop Chronic Hepatitis B of which another minority develop serious complications such as Cirrhosis or Liver Cancer.

I think just for peace of mind i will get some of the main injections from my GP.

Just get Typhoid, Hepatitis A and ensure your Tetanus & Polio are up to date. Tetanus, Diptheria and Polio are now usually administered as a combined vaccination (Td-Polio) so none of the nasty tasting Polio drops anymore.

For your trip you don't need them & your GP would confirm this. Jap E is not licensed in the UK but available on a named patient basis. 20% of people suffer mild side effects from this vaccine and a very minute percentage severe side effects. It's not 100% effective so, you still need to avoid mosquito bites.

Rabies vaccines are recommended if you're going off the beaten track and wont have immediate access to medical facilities. Even with the vaccine you'll still require further treatment - the vaccine basically gives you a longer time span to get to a doctor/hospital.

AS isaid in my original post.......the only thing putting me off really is incase the side effects....if any spoil my holiday?

At worst you may have a few hours of flu like symptons - you've plenty of time to get these vaccines before you go. The only one's likely to spoil your holiday are anti-malarial tablets; you don't need them for the proposed trip.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Just keep in mind that the Hepatitis shots are a three phase deal over a six month period. Getting all three shots provides maximum coverage.....better to safe than sorry down the road. :D Some people have side effects of flu like symptoms for a few days, but nothing major. I think the tetanus shot is on a every ten year cycle?

Just keep in mind that the Hepatitis shots are a three phase deal over a six month period. Getting all three shots provides maximum coverage.....better to safe than sorry down the road. :D Some people have side effects of flu like symptoms for a few days, but nothing major. I think the tetanus shot is on a every ten year cycle?

Hepatitis A shots, are certainly NOT a three phase deal; you're protected after the first shot for up to 1 year. You should have this shot at least two weeks before travel and if you return to your GP for a booster between 6 and 12 months following the intial shot - you are protected for 10 years.

Hepatitis B shots & the combined vaccine for Hepatititis A & Hepatitis B ARE a three phase deal; 1st injection follwed up at 2 months and final shot at six months. In the case of the combined vaccine, this provides 10 years Hepatitis A & 5 years Hepatitis B protection. Subsequent boosters can be administered again as a joint dose after 5 years or, as separate boosters after 10 years (HA) or 5 years (HB).

UK GP's certainly would not advise the OP to have Hepatitis B protection for the proposed trip; unless the OP volunteered information stating he would be participating in activities, which are classed as high risk with respect to Hepatitis B transmission. We have already established that this isn't the case, therefore the OP requires the Havrix vaccine, unless he opts for combined protection through choice.

Hepatitis B is not a free vaccine in the UK when required for Travel purposes; the GP will either charge or refer the patient to a special travel clinic. It's free for occupational health reasons, but GP's aren't obliged to offer this service. This may change in the future, as there is an ongoing debate on the value of vaccinating all children owing to the increased pool of Hepatitis B sufferers in the UK, amongst other reasons owing to the prevalence of Hepatitis B in immigrants & Asylum seekers, hence high & growing rates in certain parts of the country. 2 months ago, a pilot vaccination programme commenced in Teeside, in which around 4,000 secondary school children will be mass vaccinated.

If and when it does become free, I believe that most UK travellers to endemic areas would opt for the combined vaccine.

Hepatitis A shots, are certainly NOT a three phase deal; you're protected after the first shot for up to 1 year. You should have this shot at least two weeks before travel and if you return to your GP for a booster between 6 and 12 months following the intial shot - you are protected for 10 years.

Hepatitis B shots & the combined vaccine for Hepatititis A & Hepatitis B ARE a three phase deal; 1st injection follwed up at 2 months and final shot at six months. In the case of the combined vaccine, this provides 10 years Hepatitis A & 5 years Hepatitis B protection. Subsequent boosters can be administered again as a joint dose after 5 years or, as separate boosters after 10 years (HA) or 5 years (HB).

UK GP's certainly would not advise the OP to have Hepatitis B protection for the proposed trip; unless the OP volunteered information stating he would be participating in activities, which are classed as high risk with respect to Hepatitis B transmission. We have already established that this isn't the case, therefore the OP requires the Havrix vaccine, unless he opts for combined protection through choice.

Hepatitis B is not a free vaccine in the UK when required for Travel purposes; the GP will either charge or refer the patient to a special travel clinic. It's free for occupational health reasons, but GP's aren't obliged to offer this service. This may change in the future, as there is an ongoing debate on the value of vaccinating all children owing to the increased pool of Hepatitis B sufferers in the UK, amongst other reasons owing to the prevalence of Hepatitis B in immigrants & Asylum seekers, hence high & growing rates in certain parts of the country. 2 months ago, a pilot vaccination programme commenced in Teeside, in which around 4,000 secondary school children will be mass vaccinated.

If and when it does become free, I believe that most UK travellers to endemic areas would opt for the combined vaccine.

Almost there - its now considered both Hep A and Hep B are for life and not the 5 or 10 years. It was thought that years ago and actually that was all the data we had - we now have it going out many more years and the company I work for has yearly trials each year planned till 2023 in our IT systems

The body also has a "remembering" system so even if your antibody count was lowish if the virus attacked it would remember and produce antibodies again very quickly.

I would agree with you an others you should have a set of standard vaccinations (well I would considering my job ;-) )

Hep A (might as well add on B and many countries including Thailand do at birth)

DTP (Diptheria, Tetanus and Pertussis) - comes as 1 so get the extra cover

Polio

Typhoid

MMR (if you have not ever had it or the infections)

Seasonal flu if you like

The above I would have for anywhere in the world and not just my travels

Below are optional

Jap e is not very effective so our epidemiologist did not reccomend it to me unless spending a long time in rural area's

Rabies is one I should consider

I get all mine for free though - if we do not supply them I claim then on exes