Mutilated Bodies Versus A Hint Of A Woman's Cleavage

Bystander

My problem with the showing of gory accident victims splattered all over the road is that it is, in my opinion, disrespectful to the deceased and certainly would be to the family. Think of a mother and father seeing their lovely child that way.

I disagree. I think seeing a human body contorted from a violent motor accident is exactly the image you need in your mind before you decide to ride a motorbike without a helmet or hold your newborn in your arms sitting pillion, or even flooring the gas to make the red light.

Just like the graphic disease riddled people they put on the cigarette photos I think its a very good idea to show road users how fragile the human body really is, even though your mind can feel pretty invincible inside your car or on your chopper.

I disagree. I think seeing a human body contorted from a violent motor accident is exactly the image you need in your mind before you decide to ride a motorbike without a helmet or hold your newborn in your arms sitting pillion, or even flooring the gas to make the red light.

Just like the graphic disease riddled people they put on the cigarette photos I think its a very good idea to show road users how fragile the human body really is, even though your mind can feel pretty invincible inside your car or on your chopper.

So showing gory pictures of mangled accident victims has helped to reduce the death toll on Thailand's roads? By this reasoning Thailand must have the safest and most considerate drivers around, what with all the images of crash victims in their minds to serve as a warning. :o

They probaly think you all see enough cleavage and nud_e girls that they trying to reduce it abit.

In Thailand why would you need to see a magazine with nud_e pics? The real thing is everywhere (if you got cash and not married)

What's married got to do with it?

I view these pictures as a good reminder of the fragility of our life.

This is how it works for me anyway.

I find it more distasteful the way death is hidden away in many other countries and treated like something shameful.

I also realise that these pictures can be very upsetting for family and friends of the victims.

So they need to be dealt with carefully.

I fully agree.

And for the being upsetting to family thing, if the culture is like that and it has been the norm, they will be able to deal with it.

I dislike anything being hidden in a society. ANYTHING.

Here Here.

hhmm not sure bout that....ever see a man on the beach with a hairy back? :o

What does this tell us about Thai ideology? :D

it doesn't tell us much but your question indicates that you are a troll :o

I never knew there were so many trolls. More numerous than communists in 1950's USA. We need where's "Tail Gunner Joe" to smoke them out.

So showing gory pictures of mangled accident victims has helped to reduce the death toll on Thailand's roads? By this reasoning Thailand must have the safest and most considerate drivers around, what with all the images of crash victims in their minds to serve as a warning. :o

Nope it hasn't, but at least it shows the truth of what happens to a body when its in a collision. rather than the useless cartoon figure of a happy passenger wearing a (inadequate) crash helmet with a tick beside it! what good does that do?

I agree with an earlier post about our Western countries covering up death and not facing up to the realities. No they aren't pleasant but neither is it pleasant that road accidents are the third premature cause of death for young males in Thailand. What a waste.

I also think the white outline of the dead body you find on the roads after the scene has been cleared also act as a deterrent!

I find it somewhat amazing that badly mutilated bodies, general gorey horrific scenes are quite acceptable for the press to print but a slight hint of a woman's cleavage is totally taboo and is "fuzzed" out on the TV.

What does this tell us about Thai ideology? :o

More to the point, what does it tell us about your ability to accept different ways of thinking to your own culture? Thailand is a Buddhist country, your homeland was most likely Christian (sorry if I am wrong there). Therefore morals and taboos are often different in each place. Neither is right or wrong, it just depends what you have grown up beleiving.

You would be mistaken since christian nations share the same backwards position to nudity as Thailand.

"backwards position to nudity" - personally I'm all for it....... :D

Haven't bothered to read all the posts yet, but, isn't it the Christian missionaries and the influence of Western (again, read 'Christian') nations that got ancient Siam women to start wearing tops/ bras etc ? From Buddhism, life and death are transitional, though pix of mutilation are gory... it's just sort of what happened. This has always been a Thai view. But the no to boobs thing seems relatively new, though in the old days a boob was out in the open and so... just a boob.

So let's start talking about the good old days !

I find it somewhat amazing that badly mutilated bodies, general gorey horrific scenes are quite acceptable for the press to print but a slight hint of a woman's cleavage is totally taboo and is "fuzzed" out on the TV.

What does this tell us about Thai ideology? :o

This may seem strange that Thai culture has an exuberant attitude towards sex, though tempered by an overt modesty. So why this apparent prudery coming from the Thai censors.

I think it comes from the Chinese influence in society. Bangkok is a Chinese dominated city, business and government likewise and many policies on cultural matters are influenced accordingly.

You will find the same distortion in censorship in other Chinese communities such as Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan etc.

This thought is all wild speculation but it could shed some light on the issue.

Andrew Hicks