Medical Procedures In Thailand

Upcountry

Bangkok, Thailand, and other centers in Asia are becoming more and more accepted as good destinations for medical tourism.

Employers, Insurers Consider Overseas Health Care

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=16294182

Insurance companies are even paying for it, but there are also concerns about what happens if something goes wrong.

Yesterday's Post had more news about the Bio Clinic murders related to treatments gone wrong.

Ex-employee links Bio Clinic to fourth case

http://www.bangkokpost.com/141107_News/14Nov2007_news14.php

I've been feeling that one of the good things about living in Thailand is that if I chose or need some significant medical procedures I can afford to do it even if my insurance doesn't cover part or all of it.

So, I'm interested in your experiences with the big hospitals as well as provincially around the country.

UC

Edited by Upcountry

Bangkok, Thailand, and other centers in Asia are becoming more and more accepted as good destinations for medical tourism.

Insurance companies are even paying for it, but there are also concerns about what happens if something goes wrong.

UC

I've had pretty good experiences here:

--  1981, compression fracture of L1 vertebrae treatment, no surgery, at the old wooden Bangkok Nursing Home;

--  1983 & 1990 hernia cut & sew jobs, same, old BNH;

--  mid to late 1990s cataract fixed on both eyes at Rutnin Eye Hospital, Soi Asoke;

--  2001 or so, trabeculectomy (I can't even pronounce this one!) right eye, Rutnin;

--  2007 gallstones out via laparoscope, Vibhavadee General Hospital;

--  and miscellaneous small stuff at various places around town and country.

So far, no complaints, and best of all the nursing care, and looks (!), are a whole lot better than what I'd expect in the U.S.  Less costly, too.

Mac

I find private hospitals especially the ggod ones very VERY expensive. And I definitely wouldn't have heart surgery here in Thailand. No offence to anyone but I for one do not trust Thai doctors for the more serious stuff.

Just my two cents.

I find private hospitals especially the ggod ones very VERY expensive. And I definitely wouldn't have heart surgery here in Thailand. No offence to anyone but I for one do not trust Thai doctors for the more serious stuff.

Just my two cents.

As it turned out I had to have a quadruple bypass here in Pattaya.. Seems the doctors that did the operation had between 7-10yrs each under their belt from Baylor Hospital in the Houston Medical Center.. Cant get much better than that.. BTW, the outcome was quite good. Im typing :o

Operation was a complete success and I would not hesitate to have them operate on me again if that should happen.. Sure hope not..

john

Just my two cents.

I know farangs who owe their lives to Thai cardiac surgeons.

I've had procedures as mundane as a colonoscopy at Vejthani and as involved as a full face lift at Bumrungrad. My wife also had a tummy tuck at Bumrungrad.

While I'm sure we paid more than had we shopped around, costs for all procedures were a small fraction of what they would have cost in the US. We are very satisfied customers of the Thai medical system and wouldn't hesitate to use it again should the need arise. While no hospital is perfect, it seems that a lot of the complaints I've read about on this site involved people taking the cheapest route possible without investigating the qualifications of their physicians.

Yesterday's Post had more news about the Bio Clinic murders related to treatments gone wrong.

Ex-employee links Bio Clinic to fourth case

http://www.bangkokpost.com/141107_News/14Nov2007_news14.php

I've been feeling that one of the good things about living in Thailand is that if I chose or need some significant medical procedures I can afford to do it even if my insurance doesn't cover part or all of it.

So, I'm interested in your experiences with the big hospitals as well as provincially around the country.

UC

About 2 years ago I walked into our local rural semi-private orthopaedic hospital. This was to enquire about the costs and availability of having 2 bolts removed from my right ankle which had been put there after an industrial accident 20 years previously. The Dr. I saw spoke perfect English, - asked me if I'd eaten anything that morning, it was now 11am. An xray was done. He then said " I think we can do that - would 2pm be OK for you "!! 2pm: -into theatre, anaethestist also spaeaks English, 30 minutes later bolts removed. Spent 2 days in the VIP suite ( not very VIP furnishings) but great nursing and medical care. Follow up for the next 2 weeks at the hospital and local community health centre. Much attention and concern about the risks of infection. No problems. Cost about 50% of Oz, with no waiting.

The public system here is overcrowded and understaffed but the quality of care I think is generally very good compared to most wesern countries. The private system is in some areas world class, but at a cost. I would have no problems using either. Tim

I have a few friends who had some operations done in bkk , most were happy , but without saying to much to them the ones that had problems were the ones that smoked , had a few to many drinks , and were always negative about everything. Draw your own conclusion .

2 knee operations, same knee, both ok, one at bumgrad and one at samitiveg.

I would never go to BNH again, even though owned by same establishment, not sure if it was owned together about 2 or 3 years ago.

Also St ??? whatever it is down Sathorn rd....it seems a lot cheaper, or was a few years ago, but also had a worry there with a surgeon, he wanted to cut away and he could not even keep his office or his shirt clean.

Also St ??? whatever it is down Sathorn rd....it seems a lot cheaper, or was a few years ago, but also had a worry there with a surgeon, he wanted to cut away and he could not even keep his office or his shirt clean.

I think you are referring to "St Louis Hospital" by the Surasak BTS Skytrain station. I've not been there myself, but have heard good recommendations from others. In addition to the expected western medicine practices, it also has a Chinese traditional medicine clinic. I happen to have their web site bookmark handy: http://www.saintlouis.or.th/main_page.php

Just my two cents.

Strange. Thailand has a number of world-renowned heart surgeons - here are two I found with a quick search but there's another one that I can't remember.

http://www.vescell.com/stem-cells-treating-physicians.php

Both of the top two are still registered at famous hospitals in the US...