Isaan Wind And Solar Power

jay-uk

Hi All

Not sure if this subject has already been covered or not. Wondered if anyone had any luck using small garden wind turbine and/or solar powered panels in their back yard to reduce utility bills locally. If anyone has tried successfully or failed miserably let me know. Questions I have are:

What do the turbines and/or solar panels cost

What do they produce in Kws

Is it viable when considering purchase, setup and up keep etc..

I started thinking about this after seeing a house here in UK last week with a turbine going like the clappers in the wind......

Cheers.

Edited by jay-uk

Hi All

Not sure if this subject has already been covered or not. Wondered if anyone had any luck using small garden wind turbine and/or solar powered panels in their back yard to reduce utility bills locally. If anyone has tried successfully or failed miserably let me know. Questions I have are:

What do the turbines and/or solar panels cost

What do they produce in Kws

Is it viable when considering purchase, setup and up keep etc..

I started thinking about this after seeing a house here in UK last week with a turbine going like the clappers in the wind......

Cheers.

I had a look at installing solar power at a house nr Krasang for girlfriends parents.

Was quoted approx 1,000,000 bht for a 4 kw stand alone system fully instaled.

The company are based in Hua Hin www.solarenergyasia.com

Needless to say that project has been put on hold.

why oh why aren't all worldwide goverments throwing money at this,....seems such a simple proceedure but probably no BIG money for companys if we were all self sufficient?
The Australian government have recently put forward a proposal to subsidise householders to install solar panels and connect into the power grid. The Government will then purchase surplus power from individual householders and feed it into the national grid. Sounds like a pretty good scheme if it ever happens.

The Australian government are already subsidising householders for the installation of solar hot water systems and rain water tanks.

Yes people are and have done this, mostly solar though with some wind powered generator stuff up country.

I have noticed a couple of windmill companies in Bkk though.

The problem with it is that the cost does not always offset the savings and to wait years to recoup the cost, people just do not bother. Especially when electricity is cheaply available.

I have been researching a new solar hot water sytem and new piping for it and supoposedly the cost is the same or very close to normal hotwater and piping systems.

I am also looking into another type of lighting system, which will be very efficient if it actually works as stated.

I priced a small installation from two different companies. I was surprised that both companies offered 450 watt systems for the identical price of 180,000 baht. There is no hope of a payback for the big cost and small amount of power.

My BF parents have 2 solar panels set up outside one of their houses. I guess total size at 2m x 3m. They live in an area with no power supply at all. Solar gives them enough power to run electric fans, standard wattage lights and a portable stereo. Best was that the system was *no cost*, according to BF they were one of 5 poor families in the area selected to trial the system a couple of years back.

Instead of generating electricity, I am planning to install a solar hot water system for showers. The first one will be an experimental unit on an outdoor shower - if it works I will use it indoors too. My intention is to build it myself from parts available at the local hardware store.

If you are interested, and when I get around to it, I would be happy to post details.

Cheers,

Mike

Instead of generating electricity, I am planning to install a solar hot water system for showers. The first one will be an experimental unit on an outdoor shower - if it works I will use it indoors too. My intention is to build it myself from parts available at the local hardware store.

If you are interested, and when I get around to it, I would be happy to post details.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike a very cheap and effcient method of heating water is simply to lay 25mm or 32mm black poly pipe zigzagged across your roof on the slope that faces the afternoon sun. It is connected at the intake end to your water supply and the other end into an insulated tank holding the capacity that you require for say 3 or 4 showers or whatever your need. Water flow is controlled with a simple and cheap ball valve which opens as you draw water off from the tank. Obviously in the coming cooler months in Thailand you need to shower within an hour or so of the sun going down. I am sure you would find some technical data on this on the internet. It is a cheap system that is commonly used in Australia and NZ :o

I never have problem with the water temp: its usually warm anyhow from the pipework outside. the reason i was thinking solar or wind power was to recoup some of the electric costs on aircon, fans and lighting but from the posts it looks like an expensive project.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike a very cheap and effcient method of heating water is simply to lay 25mm or 32mm black poly pipe zigzagged across your roof on the slope that faces the afternoon sun. It is connected at the intake end to your water supply and the other end into an insulated tank holding the capacity that you require for say 3 or 4 showers or whatever your need. Water flow is controlled with a simple and cheap ball valve which opens as you draw water off from the tank. Obviously in the coming cooler months in Thailand you need to shower within an hour or so of the sun going down. I am sure you would find some technical data on this on the internet. It is a cheap system that is commonly used in Australia and NZ :o

Thanks Bicko, that is basically the idea I had in mind, except that I was going to try to avoid the ball valve by making it a closed system under pressure. The top of the hose will be connected to the top of the tank, the bottom of the hose to the bottom of the tank, the water feed to the bottom of the tank, hot water out from the top of the tank, the water cycling under convection. If you catch my drift.... (too lazy to post a diagram, but can later on).

I never have problem with the water temp: its usually warm anyhow from the pipework outside. the reason i was thinking solar or wind power was to recoup some of the electric costs on aircon, fans and lighting but from the posts it looks like an expensive project.

I think it is expensive.... Our emphasis is different, my pipes are buried and the water straight from the borehole ( = chilly). The water heater I use now is not very effective because my house supply voltage is rather low.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Bicko, that is basically the idea I had in mind, except that I was going to try to avoid the ball valve by making it a closed system under pressure. The top of the hose will be connected to the top of the tank, the bottom of the hose to the bottom of the tank, the water feed to the bottom of the tank, hot water out from the top of the tank, the water cycling under convection. If you catch my drift.... (too lazy to post a diagram, but can later on).

Yep that'll work mate. I may do the same as the water is pretty chilly for the next 3 months and the flow through an instant heater is not real flash.