How Would You Say "have You Always Lived Here?"

Wizzard of Oz

How would you say "Have you always lived here?" (always = always until now - in the past that is)

I'm pretty sure that the following words for 'always' don't fit here:

- sa-mer (meaning more like 'do you always come here' (always = 'consistently')

- dtalawt-bpai (mearning forever, mainly for the future I think[?])

- dtalawt-weelaa (meaning 'the whole time' but doesn't feel like it's the right word I'm looking for)

Edit: Also, my dictionary has a word 'tóok mêua' meaning always, which I guess would translate word-for-word as 'every before' and sounds kinda what I'm looking for.

Anyway, any help would be great,

Cheers

Edited by Wizzard of Oz

The initial sentence as it is in English could suggest other things. For example, it could mean, "Have you always lived here (in this apartment) since you moved to Bangkok?" In which case I feel the structure ตั้งแต่ dtâng dtàe might suffice.

Even if you do take it to mean since birth I feel ตั้งแต่เกิด dtâng dtàe gèrt could also be used.

why not just ask how long have you lived here ?

khun yuu tii nee naan tawrai laew.

as withnail says, sometimes we have to start thinking in thai and not english, or as the thais tell us , farang

khit maak.

I agree with rgs2001uk.

The Thai way of asking is more likely be as quoted here, or

คุณอยู่ (ที่นี่) มานานแล้วหรือครับ

khun yoo (tee nee) ma naan laew rue krub?

Have you been living (here) for a long time?

The initial sentence as it is in English could suggest other things. For example, it could mean, "Have you always lived here (in this apartment) since you moved to Bangkok?" In which case I feel the structure ตั้งแต่ dtâng dtàe might suffice.

Even if you do take it to mean since birth I feel ตั้งแต่เกิด dtâng dtàe gèrt could also be used.

Have to agree wholeheartedly with withnail on this one. In fact it can be turned into a joke if said/asked improperly. e.g. Yuu Nan mai? (have you been here long? or how long have you been here?) if not followed by tii nii or a specific place it can be construed as actually asking how long have you been alive. Jokingly if asked in this fashion I always answer ตั้งแต่เกิด dtâng dtàe gèrt. If asked properly of course and when I'm feeling less facetious I will probably answer accurately. :D:D:o

AjarnP

• 3 weeks later...
How would you say "Have you always lived here?" (always = always until now - in the past that is)

"คุณอยู่ที่นี่มาโดยตลอดเลยหรือครับ/คะ"

This may be technically correct and should be understood, but sounds stuffy and unnatural.

NAAN DTA(l)-LAWT(l) would be more correct than DOAI DTA(l)-LAWT(l)

I have to agree with DTANG(f)-DTAE(l) GERT(l) which sounds more natural and would be less likely to cause confusion.

This may be technically correct and should be understood, but sounds stuffy and unnatural.

I have to agree with DTANG(f)-DTAE(l) GERT(l) which sounds more natural and would be less likely to cause confusion.

luckyfarang, i have to disagree. virin's suggestion is natural, common spoken Thai. and NAAN DTA(l)-LAWT(l) sounds very strange. nothing personal.

all the best.

luckyfarang, i have to disagree. virin's suggestion is natural, common spoken Thai. and NAAN DTA(l)-LAWT(l) sounds very strange. nothing personal.

all the best.

Well then, we disagree.

It's not just the DOAI DTA-LAWT that sounds unnatural to me, it is the whole phrase:

YOO TEE(f) NEE(f) MAA DOAI DTA(l)-LAWT(l) LOEI

Edited by luckyfarang

all the best.

Well then, we disagree.

It's not just the DOAI DTA-LAWT that sounds unnatural to me, it is the whole phrase:

YOO TEE(f) NEE(f) MAA DOAI DTA(l)-LAWT(l) LOEI

Also sounds quite unnatural and doesn't quite 'flow' off the tongue.

For the OP question I would use Dtalawt wela ti pan ma ตลอดเวลาที่ผ่านมา which I believe would be teh most colloquial of the options.

Happy days

AjarnP :o