Sumo This Weekend

Greenside

Thailand came third in the Asian Championships yesterday but it was rather disappointing to see how few people turned up at 700 Year Stadium to watch the competition. After people on TV applauding the City for bringing major(ish) events here, all those empty seats despite the free entry were a sorry sight although I suppose since it's a working day it bound to be less popular. Tomorrow (Sunday) is the World Championship and I hope it's busier. Here are a couple of pictures from yesterday

222003159-M.jpg

222003432-M.jpg

222003289-M.jpg

Nice Pix, Greenie!

I was there too today but didn't spot you. I got there in the afternoon however; maybe you'd already gone by then. So, my first impression: You walk thru that door and you get hit -It was smelly in 'dere lemme tell you. Others may not notice, but my small nose is an efficient unit, and Wow! it was manly out at 700 yrs stadium. Anyway, some good action. Sidenote: I felt pretty skinny walking around the sumo peeps - that was nice. They say tmw Sun is the really big guys' heavyweight championships, plus there will be lady sumo - check it! I can't make it - so sorry about that, but a previous engagment is at hand. I bet Sun will be great.

And Thaipauly, you called it in that one pic - that dude in the middle is hilarious especially next to that other mountain of Thainess next to him. They should hit the road as the Thai Laurel n Hardy.

I should give props to quite a few Falangs who were out there. I spotted a Brazilian friend from town I hadn't seen in months. Also hung with the Matching-Special-Order-T-Shirt-Outfitted Tuskers crew. Saw some other friends too. I have to say that proportionally we were really well represented. Could have been better - if say there was any dissemination of info to the community at large in English. And letting us know it would be FREE FREE FREE. Three words we all like. For Thais, I say they should have got some of their beloved Rot He's (hay) and trolled the streets blasting announcements of when n where, with a poster of a big fat dude in ready position. Thais like Japanese things... and curiosity could have drawn plenty of people alone. A missed opportunity for all. Hope they bring it back again some day.

:D Have been so busy attending the Sumo that never got around to posting about it. Thanks for

the great photos, but seriously there are so many great photos associated with this event that

if you've got a camera you are can't help but find some great shots. The action has been most

interesting over the first two days but Sunday is the BIG SHOW.

Friday was only the Asian teams and today was the only the under 19 men (don't know what

kind of documents they accept to establish under 19 but some of the competitors either are

not under 19 or they grew up too near some nuclear reactors) .

Sunday all 35 countries involved will turn out their men and women. The favorites are actually

the East European men and the Japanese women. The matches go off constantly with virtually no

breaks in the action so little opportunity to get bored. Bring along your own food and drink and

set-up your picnic in the stands. It is warm/hot in the building-believe they heard it was "winter"

in CM so they prepared the heaters. First day they had no fans going at all but after they had to

keep toweling down the competitors before they face off (body must be totally dry so as to not

effect the match) they figured to spend a few baht on fans.

They have some nice t-shirts for sale but inspired marketing produced only S-M-L shirts.

Most of the competitors must have gotten 10X shirts but most the fans from abroad are not

going to fit into the L.

Do come out and watch but please don't sit in my seat- it is the only cool spot in the

building. :o JOHN