True Has Gone Absolutely Insane, Work Permit Now Required For Telephone, Internet And Tv

rainman

Trying to make a long story short, my mom just moved to a new apartment and she left her current phone line, internet and TV (UBC) box behind and changed it to the name of the people that moved into her old apartment, so they wouldn't need to apply for a new line and everything. No problem, since she can apply for new services in the new apartment.

I went with her today to apply for a new phone, internet line and TV (UBC) service at the TRUE office. The first thing they said was "passport copy please and work permit". I told them that my mom was over 60 years old, is on a retirement visa and has no work permit. Obviously, if she had a work permit, she would have a job and wouldn't be retired. The lady then says that you cannot apply for a telephone line, internet line AND a TV subscription without a work permit. A long phone call to the main office even confirmed this, the new TRUE/UBC rules are that you need a work permit.

I can even somewhat understand it that people working here illegally would use a telephone line and internet line, but needing a work permit to watch TV is a little but ...umm, insane?

I ended up being able to apply under my wife's name, but I can't imagine what the people that live here and who have an overseas income or are retiring to Thailand, have to go through. If you don't know a Thai person who can apply for these services for you, apparently now you cannot use a telephone, the internet and you can't even watch TV.

What's coming next, need a work permit to buy food in TOPS or FoodLand? :o

Trying to make a long story short, my mom just moved to a new apartment and she left her current phone line, internet and TV (UBC) box behind and changed it to the name of the people that moved into her old apartment, so they wouldn't need to apply for a new line and everything. No problem, since she can apply for new services in the new apartment.

I went with her today to apply for a new phone, internet line and TV (UBC) service at the TRUE office. The first thing they said was "passport copy please and work permit". I told them that my mom was over 60 years old, is on a retirement visa and has no work permit. Obviously, if she had a work permit, she would have a job and wouldn't be retired. The lady then says that you cannot apply for a telephone line, internet line AND a TV subscription without a work permit. A long phone call to the main office even confirmed this, the new TRUE/UBC rules are that you need a work permit.

I can even somewhat understand it that people working here illegally would use a telephone line and internet line, but needing a work permit to watch TV is a little but ...umm, insane?

I ended up being able to apply under my wife's name, but I can't imagine what the people that live here and who have an overseas income or are retiring to Thailand, have to go through. If you don't know a Thai person who can apply for these services for you, apparently now you cannot use a telephone, the internet and you can't even watch TV.

What's coming next, need a work permit to buy food in TOPS or FoodLand? :o

You were unlucky I've got everything in my name without a work permit, alas a lot of Thai staff are as thick as a plank or at least act it, go another day and the staff will bend over backwards to help you. I've been rejected with all the bull sh**t excuses, gone another day talked to another member of staff alls well. The only thing I can put it down to is they are scared of making mistakes, it's easier for them to refuse. One thing puzzles me, why anyone would want to resubscibe to true is beyond me. Hope your mom enjoys her stay in LOS.

What's coming next, need a work permit to buy food in TOPS or FoodLand? :D

You were unlucky I've got everything in my name without a work permit, alas a lot of Thai staff are as thick as a plank or at least act it, go another day and the staff will bend over backwards to help you. I've been rejected with all the bull sh**t excuses, gone another day talked to another member of staff alls well. The only thing I can put it down to is they are scared of making mistakes, it's easier for them to refuse. One thing puzzles me, why anyone would want to resubscibe to true is beyond me. Hope your mom enjoys her stay in LOS.

There is only one reason .............. LIVE FOOTBALL :D .

Your mum doesn't support Liverpool by any chance does she Rainman :D , because that is the number 1 reason to get ubc ( all the other channels are sh#te :o ).

Nah, you're still allowed to watch the free to air channels (3,5,7,9,11 and ITV). For now anyway...

:o

Sorry to hear your Mum now cannot get True.

Another reason to add to the already lengthy list of 'reasons not to retire in Thailand'.

Well, you can still retire in Thailand, just make sure you make zero commitments. No investments, no nothing. Use it like you use toilet paper seems to be the de-facto message from the junta.

I almost feel guilty. When I got True (dis-) services all I had to show was my passport, not the work permit and credentials out the ying-yang I had in my pocket.

It's the inconsistencies that make Thailand such a laughing stock. Be a draconian police state if you must, just be consistent. Please.

The funny thing is, she had all the services with TRUE before she moved to the new apartment. All in her name, all without a work permit. They even saw this in their system but would still not offer her a new service, saying she would now need to show a work permit. She didn't have to when she applied a year ago, but then again that was before the wonderful coup.

I can somehow (though not easily) understand that they would want a work permit for a telephone line and an internet line, to prevent people working illegally. I can also understand it if they would want a work permit to apply for a credit card, but to watch TV? Does anyone get paid to watch TV or what? That's just ridiculous.

And when I asked TRUE what about the people that are retired in Thailand, she just said that they would have to go to Immigration and get a work permit. I think they (TRUE) don't even know what a work permit is for. If retired people had a work permit, they would be working and wouldn't get a pension and therefor wouldn't quality for a retirement visa. I then also told her that I had all my own services (phone, internet & tv) in my name as well, so why couldn't my mom have it too? The answer was that "you cannot have it in your name, sir". Well but I do.

She still got phone, internet and tv now ..just in my wife's name. No big problem. But not everyone has a Thai wife or Thai friends when they come here, especially people on a retirement visa. And leaving them without a phone, internet and tv is not acceptable.

The funny thing is, she had all the services with TRUE before she moved to the new apartment. All in her name, all without a work permit. They even saw this in their system but would still not offer her a new service, saying she would now need to show a work permit. She didn't have to when she applied a year ago, but then again that was before the wonderful coup.

I can somehow (though not easily) understand that they would want a work permit for a telephone line and an internet line, to prevent people working illegally. I can also understand it if they would want a work permit to apply for a credit card, but to watch TV? Does anyone get paid to watch TV or what? That's just ridiculous.

And when I asked TRUE what about the people that are retired in Thailand, she just said that they would have to go to Immigration and get a work permit. I think they (TRUE) don't even know what a work permit is for. If retired people had a work permit, they would be working and wouldn't get a pension and therefor wouldn't quality for a retirement visa. I then also told her that I had all my own services (phone, internet & tv) in my name as well, so why couldn't my mom have it too? The answer was that "you cannot have it in your name, sir". Well but I do.

She still got phone, internet and tv now ..just in my wife's name. No big problem. But not everyone has a Thai wife or Thai friends when they come here, especially people on a retirement visa. And leaving them without a phone, internet and tv is not acceptable.

You're far more patient than I, I woulda started yelling and demanding until I got what I wanted. Hows that for social skills? Usually works like a charm, we call it "pulling a falang". When politeness is getting you nowhere, DEMAND YOUR SHEET. Thats what the rich Thais do and works for them too!

Damian

I was about to do that, asked her for the number of her superior and she gave me the 02-900-9000 number, the customer support line. That's when I gave up.

I even had the almost same story in the Central department store when I wanted to open a new Bangkok Bank account. She asked me for the passport and then for the work permit. I told her I didn't have one because I don't work in Thailand. Of course, she said I could not open a bank account there without a work permit. I pulled out 3 bank account books, all opened at the same branch over the past 6 months. She still claimed that it was impossible and that somebody must have not known the rules. Guess what, 2 of those books were opened by herself, the same lady that was telling me it's impossible.

I don't blow up in people's faces, though I'd like to sometimes. I just keep it inside me and come to ThaiVisa forum to vent.

Watching TV should be a lot more exciting from now on, even though UBC has crappy programming, knowing I'm watching TV without a work permit. Oh, the thought of being caught.

Nah, you're still allowed to watch the free to air channels (3,5,7,9,11 and ITV). For now anyway...

:D

Ah great. Soap operas without English subtitles for foreign retirees. Wonderful!

Perhaps that is even changing. I have been TV-free now for several months after cancelling our UBC/True subscription for reasons that I expect are eveident to many people reading this thread. Anyway, my wife, who usually confines herself to her den for several hours every night where she has a small tv with aerial connection, wanted to watch some soapy last night on the now redundant big lounge TV only to find that the terrestrial channels were also all scrambled (E16) ! Didn't bother me too much, but she was freaking out :o

:D

Ah great. Soap operas without English subtitles for foreign retirees. Wonderful!

If it doesn't kill you, it can only make you stronger.

You're far more patient than I, I woulda started yelling and demanding until I got what I wanted. Hows that for social skills? Usually works like a charm, we call it "pulling a falang". When politeness is getting you nowhere, DEMAND YOUR SHEET. Thats what the rich Thais do and works for them too!

Damian

Having a " ferrang moment " every now and then is one of the best stress relievers in LOS :D .

Don't have them too often though , as you'll then step over to the darkside :o .

in fact - that's really bad customer support case. Why should she care? she heard that there are docs to request - so she does, she has no clue what for, but to protect herself - still insist. What can we expect from the girl, who actually has no idea what's she doin' ?

Pity, but if they all would be really smart, we wont be here.

There is only one reason .............. LIVE FOOTBALL :D .

Your mum doesn't support Liverpool by any chance does she Rainman :D , because that is the number 1 reason to get ubc ( all the other channels are sh#te :o ).

Paying 1500 baht a month to watch Liverpool? What are you thinking?!!!

Does any part of this package (phone, internet, TV) involve payment in arrears?

This is usually when work permits are requested. I recall the days when anyone could get a post-payment mobile package (and then depart the country owing money) or even further back when the banks were falling over themselves to issue credit cards to foreigners.

Not claiming your mother is some kind of fraudster, by the way, :o simply saying that many Thai institutions are very paranoid about giving credit without collateral. It's simply the environment they work in and the culture they come from.