March Madness: Here We Come! (i Hope...)

mauiguy90

I'm a fan of college basketball(American). Right now, I'm watching a game between the #3 ranked Memphis Tigers and UConn(Connecticut). Its not on the monthly schedule but I'm hoping there is more of this to come. If UBC could get two games on ESPN per week with ACC, the Big East, SEC, Pac10 and/or other major conferences, it would be fantastic.

Actually, I'd be happy if they would telecast a couple games a week during the NCAA tournament, or March Madness, as it is better known. I'm going to draft a letter to UBC and I hope others interested in watching NCAA basketball are willing to do the same. :o

I'm a fan of college basketball(American). Right now, I'm watching a game between the #3 ranked Memphis Tigers and UConn(Connecticut). Its not on the monthly schedule but I'm hoping there is more of this to come. If UBC could get two games on ESPN per week with ACC, the Big East, SEC, Pac10 and/or other major conferences, it would be fantastic.

Actually, I'd be happy if they would telecast a couple games a week during the NCAA tournament, or March Madness, as it is better known. I'm going to draft a letter to UBC and I hope others interested in watching NCAA basketball are willing to do the same. :o

maybe, but i doubt it's gonna happen...everything here is soccer (which drives me crazy after awhile since it's like a water torture with soccer being on 5 channels at once with no american sports of any type unless you like NY Yankee baseball or extrememly limited NFL)...your best bet is to have one of your friends or familiy members set up a slingbox in the states for you (you could buy it via ebay and have it shipped directly there)...your only cost will be the initial cost of the slingbox...have it hooked up to basic cable at their house and you're set...i have 3 of them set up in the US and all work well

good luck

-te

I've forwarded the following letter to UBC([email protected]). I encourage anyone who loves NCAA basketball and wants to see increased coverage of collegiate basketball to write to UBC. It is very possible that such letters will make no difference in their coverage. However, if you don't ask, nothing will change... (In Hawaii we would say, "No ask, no get..." :o )

To:

Kantima Kunjara, Director for Communications

Chulathai Salidupta, Senior Manager for Programming

Dear Sirs:

I am writing this letter to encourage TrueVisions to provide increased coverage of NCAA Basketball games from ESPN. As one of many American viewers who enjoy collegiate basketball, I did enjoy watching the #3 ranked Memphis Tigers game against the University of Connecticut, which True Visions broadcasted this weekend. It was a terrific game and I look forward to seeing many more.

I am not sure that your company realizes how popular collegiate basketball is in the United States. The NCAA basketball tournament, which showcases the top collegiate basketball teams, is one of the top sports shows in the U.S. It is much more popular than NBA basketball, which TrueVisions tends to showcase. If you check with your contacts at ESPN, am sure that they can confirm this.

NCAA basketball is exciting because the teams tend to play each other, once or maybe twice during the whole season. Possibly because of this, the level of intensity of the games tends to be much higher than a typical NBA games. Players dive for balls, run till they drop, scream in exaltation and cry in desperation during these sometimes once in a lifetime encounters. The players rarely have household names. Most will never make it to the professional level but for one game, play their hearts out for the glory of their teams. It is competition at its best, with no money involved, just pure desire.

The teams come from the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big East, the Southeastern Conference, the Big Ten, Pac10 and many more. The team names, Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, Georgetown, Florida and more. The tradition goes back to the roots of basketball. The legendary coaches like Adolf Rupp and John Wooden are rooted in NCAA basketball. If you love basketball, you love NCAA basketball. If you've watched the NCAA tournament or "March Madness" as it is better known, you will be hooked forever.

I realize that there is a lot of competition for time on your sports channels. However, be assured that your American viewing audience will be most appreciate to see their favorite NCAA team on UBC. You will make many fans of basketball happy that they have UBC service, especially if UBC covers the NCAA tournament, as well as weekly games.

Thank you for your kind attention to my email. I patiently await your response.

Sincerely,

Member of thaivisa.com

This week, Tuesday thru Thursday, ESPN is televising 9 Maui Invitational basketball games. The following week they will be showing the ACC/Big 10 Tournament. Hope this is a sign that we'll be seeing more college BB this season.

Greg

That's great! Wasn't aware of that and will check the schedule!

Thanks Greg

• 1 month later...

What a great game between #7 Duke & #9 Pitt today on ESPN. If you didn't catch it live, watch the replay. Its a game worth watching again, March Madness in December. I won't say who won but its a gotta watch game! :o

Edited by mauiguy90

FWIW you can check schedules on the UBC website. I download the monthly schedule, which doesn't detail the opponents but does give at least a conference listing.

Example

UBC Chanel : ESPN

Date : 21/12/2007

Start time Program

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

00:00 Planet Speed

00:30 Tiger Football Up Close

01:00 Velocitv - Drive Thru South Africa

01:30 Sportscenter Asia

02:00 Dubai Ladies Masters 2007

05:00 Velocitv - Drive Thru South Africa

05:30 Sportscenter Asia

06:00 Planet Speed

06:30 Winter X Games Ten Classix: Slammed/Stomped

06:59 Sportscenter Update

07:00 Atlantic Coast Conference Basketball

09:00 San Diego County Poinsettia Bowl 2007

12:30 Sportscenter Update

12:31 Planet Speed

13:00 Sportscenter Update

13:01 Champions League Extra

15:00 Sportscenter Update

15:01 Atlantic Coast Conference Basketball

17:00 Football Asia (Espn)

17:30 Planet Speed

18:00 Sportscenter Asia

18:30 Sportscenter Asia

19:00 Football Forecast

19:30 Tiger Football Up Close

20:00 First Edition

20:30 Sportscenter Asia

21:00 Sportscenter Asia

21:30 Call The Shots

23:30 Sportscenter Asia

Date : 22/12/2007

Start time Program

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

00:00 Football Forecast

00:30 First Edition

01:00 Sportscenter Asia

01:30 Sportscenter Asia

02:00 San Diego County Poinsettia Bowl 2007

05:00 Sportscenter Asia

05:30 Sportscenter Asia

06:00 First Edition

06:30 Nba Action

07:00 Nba Basketball

09:30 Winter X-Games 11 - Day 1

11:00 Sportscenter Week In Review

11:30 Football Focus With John Dykes

12:30 Football Forecast

13:00 First Edition

13:30 Nba Action

14:00 Nba Basketball

16:30 Uefa Champions League Magazine Show 2007/08

17:00 Football Forecast

17:30 Dubai Ladies Masters Highlights

18:25 Sportscenter Weekend

18:30 Sportscenter Week In Review

19:00 San Diego County Poinsettia Bowl 2007

22:00 Sportscenter Week In Review

22:30 New Orleans Bowl 2007

Date : 23/12/2007

Start time Program

01:30 Great Fights Of The Late 50'S

02:30 Sportscenter Week In Review

03:00 Sportscenter Weekend

03:05 Football Asia (Espn)

03:30 Planet Speed

04:00 Sportscenter Week In Review

04:30 New Mexico Bowl 2007

08:00 Las Vegas Bowl 2007

11:30 Sportscenter: The Field Report

12:00 U.S. Open Golf Championship

13:00 U.S. Open Golf Championship

14:00 Rewind : U.S. Open Golf Championship

15:00 Rewind : U.S. Open Golf Championship

16:00 Lexus Cup 2007

17:00 Football Asia (Espn)

17:25 Sportscenter Weekend

17:30 Sportscenter: The Field Report

18:00 New Mexico Bowl 2007

21:00 Sportscenter: The Field Report

21:30 Las Vegas Bowl 2007

Three years ago on UBC, they were showing a game from the ACC tournament two weeks after the national championship game ended, and they ended up showing no national tournament games. Funny but true. I don't know if things will change.