American Gangster

kiakaha

Just watched American Gangster (Denzel Washington plays Frank Lucas, harlem smack delaer in the 70's etc...)

Anyway, there are several "Bangkok" scenes in the movie, as Lucas bought his smack from Vietnam circa 1970 and smuggled it back in soldiers caskets. Dont know if any of the filming was done in BKK or on a sound stage, i didn't recognize any of the places.

The bar where he meets his smack source in Bangkok is called Soul Brothers Bar.

Do any of you old hands/vets remember if this was a real bar, circa 1970. If so where was it ?

Just watched American Gangster (Denzel Washington plays Frank Lucas, harlem smack delaer in the 70's etc...)

Anyway, there are several "Bangkok" scenes in the movie, as Lucas bought his smack from Vietnam circa 1970 and smuggled it back in soldiers caskets. Dont know if any of the filming was done in BKK or on a sound stage, i didn't recognize any of the places.

Do any of you old hands/vets remember if this was a real bar, circa 1970. If so where was it ?

I know some of the movie was filmed in Chiang Mai ,unsure

of exact locations though :o

Haven't seen the film yet but some of it was filmed in Chiang Mai last year, I know because I watched them filming. They filmed at a local bar called Johns bar after kitting it out 70's style. Quite a big production, there must have been 100 technicians, cameramen etc. Took 2 days to film, I'd be interested to see how long that translates to in screen time.

Haven't seen the film yet but some of it was filmed in Chiang Mai last year, I know because I watched them filming. They filmed at a local bar called Johns bar after kitting it out 70's style. Quite a big production, there must have been 100 technicians, cameramen etc. Took 2 days to film, I'd be interested to see how long that translates to in screen time.

In Thailand about 5-8 minutes but on the streets of Bangkok I'd say no more than a few minutes.

It would have been a lot more fun to be an Englishman in Bangkok back then I reckon :o .

It would be interesting to hear from any TV members who were in LOS back to see if the movie was an accurate portrayal of Thailand back then in the early 70's.

I got a good copy of the chinese guy with the stall that is the last one on the left at beach road before walking street

if they aren't good copies there - he'll tell you if you ask

i've bought some bobbins ones off those that go round the bars in the past

Your right I called there yesterday he was under the counter delving into boxes, I called out hey you are these copies good quality, he replied yes, but how you know my name? :o

The bar where he meets his smack source in Bangkok is called Soul Brothers Bar. Do any of you old hands/vets remember if this was a real bar, circa 1970. If so where was it ?

Don't know if this helps, but the main R&R stop in Thailand for US troops during the Vietnamese War was Nakhon Phanom, from what I have read. The way things change in Thailand, the place, if it had been there, would be long gone by now, though.

The bar where he meets his smack source in Bangkok is called Soul Brothers Bar. Do any of you old hands/vets remember if this was a real bar, circa 1970. If so where was it ?

Don't know if this helps, but the main R&R stop in Thailand for US troops during the Vietnamese War was Nakhon Phanom, from what I have read. The way things change in Thailand, the place, if it had been there, would be long gone by now, though.

In the movie, the bar scene in question is clearly marked as being set in Bangkok.

Its a really good movie, yet another reinforcer of unbalanced Thai stereotypes though. I mean were people back then with Thai hookers ALL the time? Didn't they get tired sometimes and maybe go for noodles?

with just 5 days R&R for each year long tour of duty...who the hel_l has time for noodles :o