Accidents

niggle

I know this is really stupid but I recently got small scooter, got tax insurance (compulsory) and then realised that if I have an accident I dont know what on earth to do - who to call what details needed etc.

Can anyone help a dumbo like me ?

If you can sort it out there and then without insurance nor cops - then do so!

If you can't or don't like the terms, leave the vehicles where they are, do not move them. Call your insurance and get them to call the local police. Wait until they arrive. Be friendly and polite at all times and don't get angry with other parties nor should you apologize for anything (thereby implicating your fault).

The police and insurance will sort it out from there.

If you can sort it out there and then without insurance nor cops - then do so!

If you can't or don't like the terms, leave the vehicles where they are, do not move them. Call your insurance and get them to call the local police. Wait until they arrive. Be friendly and polite at all times and don't get angry with other parties nor should you apologize for anything (thereby implicating your fault).

The police and insurance will sort it out from there.

A very good post, offering both sides of the coin! :o

If you have insurance with comprehensive (not just compulsory) just call your company. They will send out a rep on a motorbike who will handle everything. No need to listen to the scare stories here. I had an accident once (my fault) and once the rep came that was the last I heard of it. Oh, my rate did go up that year, but not by much.

Depends upon who you consider was in the wrong and who the other party thinks was in the wrong. It appears no real insurance so I don't know if there is anyone to call but be aware that many Thais will look upon the accident as an opportunity to make money and witnesses will appear from everywhere to swear whatever is needed to screw you over. You might get lucky but be prepared for the worst.

If you can, I'd get some better insurance.