Car Rental Deposit Of 20,000 Baht?

jbsears

Hello!

I am trying to rent a car over the winter holidays and all the companies I am contacting (Hertz, Budget, Avis, Petchburi Car Rent) have a 20,000 Baht deposit (24,000 Baht for Petchburi Car Rent). The maximum payout for an accident is only 5 or 10k with the insurance that comes with the rental, but the deposit is 20k. What is the reason for the deposit? Is it just for making sure we return the car?

My wife called Budget and Avis today and neither of them could tell us what the deposit is for and also why it is not mentioned on their website. I can imagine a tourist coming with a car rental reservation and finding out he has to deposit either 20k or 40k (for the nicer cars). I emailed Petchburi Car Rent to ask why and they never replied. The lady from Budget told my wife it is like this in all countries but I am from the US and know it is not like that here. People wouldn't rent all the time if they had to have $600 to $1200 tied up on their credit card especially when your on vacation when you just might need that extra money.

So back to my basic question of does anyone know what the deposit is for and why it is so much more than the maximum payout for any damage to the car? My only answer would be to make sure the car is returned but I hope it is not or it shows the state of the consumers in Thailand.

Thanks all! Also, if anyone knows of a reputable renter in BKK that doesn't require a deposit, that would be great.

I have been renting cars in Thailand for 10 years and can not recall one instance when they did not take a deposit...I always give them my credit card and they complete the transaction for 20k baht, but do not report it to the credit card company. They hold it in the file..When I return the car, they give me the bill back and I tear it up and throw it away...

I think this is pretty well SOP for all the car rentals here..

Stoneman has given the correct answer, the major companies do this hold a signed slip for 20,000bt and give it back on return of the vehicle, as for Q cars charging only 5,000bt deposit maybe they haven't had a car not returned yet, who would let out a 1,000,000bt car on a 5,000bt deposit.