Man Charged With Killing Briton In Thailand

george

Man charged with killing Briton in Thailand

Continued from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15372

BANGKOK: -- Thai police have charged a Pakistani in connection with the murder of a British man in Thailand's restive Muslim south, an official says.

A spokesman for the British embassy in Bangkok confirmed on Saturday Mark Lemetti, 25, was found dead in the southern province of Narathiwat's Sungai Kolok district. Thai police identified the victim as Mark Roland Lemetti.

Thai police investigator Major-Colonel Chalerm Yingkong told Reuters a 25-year-old Pakistani man was detained at his home in Sungai Kolok late on Friday and charged with conspiring with others to rob and kill.

The charge carries the death penalty, which is carried out by lethal injection in Thailand.

"We found several belongings of the victim, namely a mobile phone and a camera when we searched the suspect's house on Friday night," Chalerm said.

"He was so frightened of the police that he went up to the roof to hide, but fell off and injured himself."

Lemetti was believed to be the first Westerner killed in the area since violence flared in January when militants staged a deadly raid on an army camp. More than 300 people have died in near daily violence since then.

Chalerm said police were treating the incident as a robbery and not linked to the conflict.

Chalerm said the suspect, fluent in English, Thai and Malay, was identified only as "Useng" because he did not have an identity document although he had lived in the town for a few years, marrying a Thai wife and selling used clothes for a living.

Police said on Friday they believed Lemetti was mugged and killed then his body dumped in a rubber plantation in Sungai Kolok. A broken snooker cue was found next to his body.

Chalerm said several people at a snooker hall in the town saw Useng with Lemetti several hours before the Briton was found dead early on Friday.

Sungai Kolok, a border town 1,200 km south of Bangkok and known for its sex industry, has been hit twice by bomb attacks since January. No one has been killed in the blasts.

Some Western governments, including Britain, have warned their citizens against non-essential travel to Thailand's far southern provinces.

The region was home to a low-key separatist insurgency fought in the 1970s and 1980s, but Bangkok says it cannot pinpoint precisely what or who is behind the current unrest in the mainly Malay-speaking region.

--Reuters 2004-08-21

It is gratifying that this young man's untimely and apparent hate filled death will soon see justice’s swift sword.

My heart felt sympathy to his family and yes, to the family of this Pakistani who must face the recriminations of the deeds of a family member.

Whether this murder was a crime of hate by an Islamic extremists directed at a westerner or merely a criminal thief of possessions, the next most heinous crime committed here is how it will be perceived.

It will be easy to attach this act to these few extremists and or thugs who have highjacked a fine religion like Islam.

Dominating it to such an extent that extremism is the only Islamic voice being heard. Where the vast majority's timidity and silence is, itself, viewed as being complicit and even adding and abating to these numerically boisterous few and their murderous deeds and intend purpose.

How do we, those that are hated and those muslins that sit passively by, rationalize, intellectualize and “utiopianize”, the hate, racism and religious intolerance that is taught widely in Mosques throughout the world. Lesson so intent and extensive as to be embedded in the essences and hearts of each coming generation of extremists.

Is there enough money, are there enough economic opportunities or enough social programs and or cuddling condolence and negotiable alternatives in the whole world that would placate or appease such hatred and evil intent? Has it all gone one bridge to far for that approach?

Who do we ,the world turn to, to end this?

The UN, yeah right on, only if they can fill their pockets full enough I afraid?

Will getting rid of GW Bush, Tony Blair or even Sharon end it all or is it bigger than that?

I for one, having Muslims as loving and loved family members, know it will be easy to bottle this murderous deed as a Islamic or Muslim thing, but I for one, know that it is not.

It's about the evil in the heart men or in this case one man or group of men, who in a misguided utopian, never in a million years, stupor, envision a world Islamic Theocratic dominated Republic, devoid of all democracy, freedom and religions except Islam and DICTATED to by a few powerful theocrats.

It’s not just about GW Bush, Tony Blair or even Americans, Brits or Aussys and or even Islamic Extremists, it’s about a way of life and who is going to control it?

One side, with hotly debated and divided interests, wanting and determined, even at the price of a bloody one sided war, to maintain its economic and democratic freedom and the other equally wanting and determined, apparently back by either a timid, uninvolved and or silent majority, a Theocratic inspired “freedom” where a few dictate how life is to be lived to the masses and murderous butchery justifies the means to get there.

The debate: Is it “give peace a chance” appeasement and talk or War and destructive action and or irradiation the way and the light?

The world awaits, seemingly undeterred, direction!

Each side, doggedly right, ever divided with conquest and their fate just an opinion, vote or recruit away.

Sorry, my apologies to all for my long windedness and I am sure to many BS...

Chalerm said several people at a snooker hall in the town saw Useng with Lemetti several hours before the Briton was found dead early on Friday.

So this wasn't a chance mugging and murder and victim and murderer knew each other?

Seems to me that there may be more to this tragic incident than meets the eye.

Yea it sure does, playing billiards so to speak with a debt that they got themselves into and now the Brit rich from the bets, of course they rob him to get back their money.

Obviously very stupid leaving clues and evidence to track down the killers, so this tells me they were dumbos.

What a way to die just because he played the game.

Daveyo

Excellent job catching him.

Islam, so peaceful :D

Every 15 seconds a muder occurs in the US, so your crap one liner means nothing!

Very sad to hear he was murdered, but to taint the death with a Muslim slant would be stupid, not wouldnt it? :o

The media seems to always mention the word Muslim if the person is of that faith, you never hear a man was killed yesterday by a christian etc :D

Good!!! for the Thai Govt.  One less idot to deal with. Kill the SOB

If more countries had the death penality. We wouldn'yt have to worry about those suckers coming back to do it again.

Solid proof that in spite of being brain dead, one can still use computer..

Why?

I suspect that the original poster does have a brain but perhaps lacks the ability to express themselves in a way you find pleasing...

Unfortunately, you proove your own point by being so intolerant and not accepting what to a lot of people is a valid view point.

scratt :o

So it seems like the guy was killed for being better at pool than the pakistani? I find this fairly interesting, as this is my game, and I played and gambled with Thais for hours, usually winning because I'm much better than they are for the most part. I always found them very 'good' losers, they always paid up, and hardly ever tried anything underhand. They're just not 'sleight of hand' people, in my view maybe some of you with more experience will disagree.

And if he's convicted will the Pakistani definetly be executed?

:o As a resident in the UK I must congratulate George reporting the Mark Lemetti murder well before the UK papers, and I must congrat George and all you who input in the site . great reading. As you see I use the word murder!! to make fun of it then to put in it writing seems sad! to say the least, as a farang and I assume most of you are fellow farangs either resident in Thailand or regular visitors, the murder of a farang is a serious and sad affair (as is any murder)

Good!!! for the Thai Govt. One less idot to deal with. Kill the SOB

If more countries had the death penality. We wouldn'yt have to worry about those suckers coming back to do it again.

Many states in the USA have the death penalty, yet there is a very high per capita murder rate there.

I am not opposed to the death penalty, but it has to be used along with many preventative actions by the community and the authorities - control of weapons, education, social awareness, all aspects of good upbringing, parental and community care will cut down crime. There is no easy-fix. Just a lot of hard work.

Where does the idea that he was playing pool, and that he won bets come from. The report states that he was seen with the suspect in the hall.

No wonder stories get so distorted, just because the report is not read in detail.

Wisen up, and button up.

To those of you who have already hung the suspect, I would like to present an alternative perspective:

If you really think the police in this country are so diligent, you haven't been here very long. Perhaps the victim's belongings found on the suspect were "legitimately" won through a snooker bet. Maybe the suspect makes a convenient scapegoat in the haste to appease the British embassy. I'm willing to bet that no evidence that directly links the suspect to the murder will be found, though rest assured the suspect will swiftly offer a full confession. And don't think for a second that confessions obtained here have much to do with reality.

Why don't we try something a little different and pretend the suspect is innocent until a fair trial determines otherwise. Hopefully, it will be possible for him to receive said fair trial.

While this incident is indeed a tragedy, anger, frustration, and distrust make it all too easy to point fingers prematurely. I urge everyone to think before making sweeping judgements. One day, it could be a loved one of ours on the other side of the story.

Chuck

Whilst agreeing entirely with the main point of cbatson's post i.e innocent until proved guilty:-

He was so frightened of the police that he went up to the roof to hide, but fell off and injured himself
Hardly the actions of an innocent man
Maybe the suspect makes a convenient scapegoat in the haste to appease the British embassy

Appease the British embassy? Why?

Why don't we try something a little different and pretend the suspect is innocent until a fair trial determines otherwise. Hopefully, it will be possible for him to receive said fair trial

If we pretend everyone's innocent then no-one would ever be arrested.

I think DaveYo has probably summed it up with describing this man as a "dumbo".

It seems that this robbery and murder has been bungled to put it kindly and a trail of clues has led the police straight to the main suspect

I mean lets look at the facts that we do know about.

1) victim and suspect witnessed playing pool together

2) victim face smashed in with a blunt instrument

3) broken pool clue at scene of crime

4) victims possessions at the home of the suspect

5) suspect hiding on roof when the police call round

Come on!

Inspector Cluseau could work this one out.

This will sound like major conspiracy theory to many of you, but still, you can twist these arguments around with a bit of fantasy, as follows:

1) victim and suspect witnessed playing pool together

- How hard is it to buy witnesses in a country where so many people are poor and therefore easily corrupted?

2) victim face smashed in with a blunt instrument

- Has any visitor to this site witnessed this personally? Would it be totally implausible that somebody smashed something blunt into the person's face after his death, if they wanted to provide a scapegoat with a plausible story?

3) broken pool clue at scene of crime

- How hard is it to plant evidence at the scene of the crime or falsify the record afterwards in order to produce a scapegoat? Do you think those involved would dare protest if they were told by superiors to keep quiet and were compensated for it?

4) victims possessions at the home of the suspect

- Planted is still a possibility.

5) suspect hiding on roof when the police call round

- Could be that he lacked proper papers or permits, or had other skeletons in his closet which he did not want the police to find out about. It is fair to say that people of Indian, Pakistani and Middle-Eastern decent are not highly regarded in the Thai community - have you heard expressions such as "jer nguu jer khaek, tii khaek gawn" (If you see a person of Indian/Arab appearance and a snake, make sure you beat the Indian/Arab first).

Come on!

Inspector Cluseau could work this one out.

- Well, he's been wrong before. A critical mind is essential for any kind of media analysis.

Cheers,

Meadish

Couldn't help but note "the stero-typical" crime ridden Yank commentary. Is it myth or maybe bias or is it comparatively factual?

For the record:

MURDERS - Source http://www.nationmaster.com

Totals

MURDERS |** Murder with Firearms

1. India 37,170 (1999) |** 1. South Africa 31,918 (2000)

2. Russia 28,904 (2000) |** 2. Colombia 21,898 (2000)

3. Colombia 26,539 (2000) |** 3. Thailand 20,032 (2000)

4. South Africa 21,995 (2000) |** 4. United States 8,259 (1999)

5. Mexico 13,829 (2000) |** 5. Mexico 3,589 (2000) * (8 mil illegals US)

6. United States 12,658 (1999) |** 6. Zimbabwe 598 (2000

7. Venezuela 8,022 (2000) |** 7. Germany 384 (2000)

8. Thailand 5,140 (2000) |** 8. Belarus 331 (2000)

9. Ukraine 4,418 (2000) |** 9. Czech Republic 213 (2000)

10. Indonesia 2,204 (2000) |** 10. Ukraine 173 (2000)

Weighted Average 25,234.99

MURDERS: MURDERS w/Firearms

per capita

Country Description Amount

1. Colombia 0.63 per 1000 people |** 1. South Africa 0.74 per 1000 people

2. South Africa 0.51 per 1000 people |** 2. Colombia 0.52 per 1000 people

3. Jamaica 0.32 per 1000 people |** 3. Thailand 0.31 per 1000 people

4. Venezuela 0.32 per 1000 people |** 4. Zimbabwe 0.04 per 1000 people

5. Russia 0.19 per 1000 people |** 5. Mexico 0.03 per 1000 people

6. Mexico 0.13 per 1000 people |** 6. Costa Rica 0.03 per 1000 people

7. Lithuania 0.10 per 1000 people |** 7. Belarus 0.03 per 1000 people

8. Estonia 0.10 per 1000 people | ** 8. United States 0.02 per 1000 people

9. Latvia 0.10 per 1000 people | ** 9. Uruguay 0.02 per 1000 people

10. Belarus 0.09 per 1000 people | ** 10. Lithuania 0.02 per 1000 people

14. Thailand 0.07 per 1000 people

24. United States 0.04 per 1000 people

Weighted Average 0.27 per 1000 people

CRIMES:

Per Capita

1. Dominica 112.79 per 1000 people

2. New Zealand 108.12 per 1000 people

3. Finland 102.15 per 1000 people

4. Denmark 93.64 per 1000 people

5. Chile 90.00 per 1000 people

6. United Kingdom 86.04 per 1000 people

7. Montserrat 83.49 per 1000 people

8. United States 81.55 per 1000 people

9. Netherlands 80.84 per 1000 people

10. South Africa 80.02 per 1000 people

Weighted Average 82.93 per 1000 people

CRIMES

Totals

1. United States 23,677,800 (1999)

2. Germany 6,264,723 (2000)

3. United Kingdom 5,170,831 (2000)

4. France 3,771,849 (2000)

5. South Africa 3,422,743 (2000)

6. Russia 2,952,367 (2000)

7. Canada 2,476,520 (2000)

8. Japan 2,443,470 (2000)

9. Italy 2,205,782 (2000)

10. India 1,764,629 (1999)

17. Thailand 565,108 (2000)

Weighted Average 5.58 million

CRIMES

Per capita

View this stat: Totals Show map full screen

47. Thailand 8.79 per 1000 people

Hmm. the US seems to have a lot of crime and lot of locked up criminals but is it mean fully more violent and dangerous per capita as some would seem to believe or want to believe?

It is a violent world, despite what many utopists want believe, where in our schooling fisheries we have the odds but outside, in wide open waters, the odds revert to the predators who are always, I repeat always, circling for easy prey and opportunity.

A death is a not but a death to someone! It is, nonetheless, always senseless to us all. But tasteless talk is mere wordless jabber and is most assuredly always and inanely Egocentric and senseless.

That is all!

According to British press murder suspect Brahim says Mark Lemetti gave him his belongings for safekeeping. Mark had been on a visa run into Malaysia and had only been back in Thailand a few hours . They met when Brahim sold him a bus ticket to Phuket. Wrong place wrong time!!

Just a thought, but did anybody give any thought to how the Thai Police and the Thai government sometimes works in cases that can affect tourism to the "land of smiles". If it was in deed an act of terrorism, do you think they would want it to be viewed as such ???????? OR would it be better for the tourism industry and the influx of tourism money to just pass it of as a simple robbery ???? Would it be out of the question for some of "Thailands Finest" to have planted enough evidence to make it look the way they would have it look, simply to stave off fears that would scare off tourists. You know how they cherish the good ole tourist dollars (and yen, francs, marks, pounds included). And their cost for all of this, afterall is only one measley little ole Pakistanie who may have PISSED OFF one or more of their ranks at one time or another anyway..............JUST A THOUGHT

Couldn't help but note "the stero-typical" crime ridden Yank commentary. Is it myth or maybe bias or is it comparatively factual?

For the record:

MURDERS - Source http://www.nationmaster.com

Totals

MURDERS |** Murder with Firearms

1. India 37,170 (1999) |** 1. South Africa 31,918 (2000)

2. Russia 28,904 (2000) |** 2. Colombia 21,898 (2000)

3. Colombia 26,539 (2000) |** 3. Thailand 20,032 (2000)

4. South Africa 21,995 (2000) |** 4. United States 8,259 (1999)

5. Mexico 13,829 (2000) |** 5. Mexico 3,589 (2000) * (8 mil illegals US)

6. United States 12,658 (1999) |** 6. Zimbabwe 598 (2000

7. Venezuela 8,022 (2000) |** 7. Germany 384 (2000)

8. Thailand 5,140 (2000) |** 8. Belarus 331 (2000)

9. Ukraine 4,418 (2000) |** 9. Czech Republic 213 (2000)

10. Indonesia 2,204 (2000) |** 10. Ukraine 173 (2000)

Weighted Average 25,234.99

MURDERS: MURDERS w/Firearms

per capita

1. Colombia 0.63 per 1000 people |** 1. South Africa 0.74 per 1000 people

2. South Africa 0.51 per 1000 people |** 2. Colombia 0.52 per 1000 people

3. Jamaica 0.32 per 1000 people |** 3. Thailand 0.31 per 1000 people

4. Venezuela 0.32 per 1000 people |** 4. Zimbabwe 0.04 per 1000 people

5. Russia 0.19 per 1000 people |** 5. Mexico 0.03 per 1000 people

6. Mexico 0.13 per 1000 people |** 6. Costa Rica 0.03 per 1000 people

7. Lithuania 0.10 per 1000 people |** 7. Belarus 0.03 per 1000 people

8. Estonia 0.10 per 1000 people | ** 8. United States 0.02 per 1000 people

9. Latvia 0.10 per 1000 people | ** 9. Uruguay 0.02 per 1000 people

10. Belarus 0.09 per 1000 people | ** 10. Lithuania 0.02 per 1000 people

14. Thailand 0.07 per 1000 people

24. United States 0.04 per 1000 people

Weighted Average 0.27 per 1000 people

CRIMES:

Per Capita

Weighted Average 82.93 per 1000 people

CRIMES

Totals

1. United States 23,677,800 (1999)

2. Germany 6,264,723 (2000)

3. United Kingdom 5,170,831 (2000)

4. France 3,771,849 (2000)

5. South Africa 3,422,743 (2000)

6. Russia 2,952,367 (2000)

7. Canada 2,476,520 (2000)

8. Japan 2,443,470 (2000)

9. Italy 2,205,782 (2000)

10. India 1,764,629 (1999)

17. Thailand 565,108 (2000)

Weighted Average 5.58 million

CRIMES

Per capita

View this stat: Totals Show map full screen

47. Thailand 8.79 per 1000 people

Hmm. the US seems to have a lot of crime and lot of locked up criminals but is it mean fully more violent and dangerous per capita as some would seem to believe or want to believe?

It is a violent world, despite what many utopists want believe, where in our schooling fisheries we have the odds but outside, in wide open waters, the odds revert to the predators who are always, I repeat always, circling for easy prey and opportunity.

A death is a not but a death to someone! It is, nonetheless, always senseless to us all. But tasteless talk is mere wordless jabber and is most assuredly always and inanely Egocentric and senseless.

That is all!

The US is very violent place, I live in Florida and just recently 6 people were killed for a video game system and some clothes. It was four young men that did the crime. In California A Man and a Women were shot in the head, They worked at a neardy camp for kids. The Families can't understand why Nothing was taken from them and they were still in sleeping bags.

I don't know if any of you know about Scott Peterson He killed his pregnant wife during christmas time back in 2002, He said his wife went running with their dog the morning of christmas and he went fishing :o Her body was recovered not far from where he was fishing. :D

The US is a very violent place Usually because of drugs and of course Money.

The US is very violent place, I live in Florida and just recently 6 people were killed for a video game system and some clothes. It was four young men that did the crime. In California A Man and a Women were shot in the head, They worked at a neardy camp for kids. The Families can't understand why Nothing was taken from them and they were still in sleeping bags.

I don't know if any of you know about Scott Peterson He killed his pregnant wife during christmas time back in 2002, He said his wife went running with their dog the morning of christmas and he went fishing :o Her body was recovered not far from where he was fishing. :D

The US is a very violent place Usually because of drugs and of course Money.

Never would've guessed that little revelation! Wow! learn a new thing every day. :D

So I guess we shouldn't be too surprised when the US institutionalises that violence and exports it worldwide then? :D

A few examples in the last 3 decades, but not in any particular chronological order: Vietnam .....Laos..........Cambodia.........Nicaragua........Chile.........Honduras.....

l Salvador...........Pananma...........Grenada..........Colombia..........Indonesi

........Philippines.........Somalia........Afghanistan........... and now, Iraq.

I'm sure there are several other "anonymous Latin American meat packing gliterati" countries not mentioned (add at own convenience) where direct military intervention has exported American terror and violence on innocent civilians, as well as the intended "beneficiaries". And that's not including the places where mines, missiles and other arms are exported to dictatorial governments known to use them against their own citizens (endless list). Hhhhmm......maybe you have a point IamMaiC, but not sure about your conclusions as to the causes. Still keeps the sales of Prozac healthy I guess. :D