Thai's Outraged By Restaurant Name

qualtrough

I think these students positively want to be offended. Man, talk about being thin-skinned, not to mention hypocritical given the 24/7 insults to other cultures that cab be seen in Thailand daily. Best examples are the periodic 'Nazi' or 'Hitler' themed products, stores, and school celebrations, or the use of other country's flags, etc. in inappropriate ways. The list is endless. That doesn't really get my dander up, but to see them freaking out at what wasn't even intended as an insult (nor would be interpreted as such by any normal person) is a bit rich. For your reading pleasure:

Thai students: Eatery's name is offensive

Group wants No Thai! to change moniker

By Julie Rowe: Daily Staff Reporter on 11/19/07

Rackham student Sirarat Sarntivijai said she was confused and offended when a restaurant called No Thai! opened on South University Avenue in September 2005. She thought the name suggested that Thai people were not welcome in the restaurant.

Members of the Thai Student Association, including Sarntivijai, its president, said they find the name deeply offensive.

Victor Kim, one of the restaurant's four owners and a Ross School of Business graduate, said the name isn't intended to be offensive. He said No Thai! was named after the restaurant's head chef and co-owner, Noerung Hang, whose nickname is "No."

"(TSA students) are taking it offensively, but we do not discriminate against anyone who comes into our restaurant," Kim said.

Kim, along with two of the other owners, is Korean. Fourth owner and head chef Hang is Hmong, but his family has been in the Thai food industry for years.

Sarntivijai said the heritage of the owners doesn't matter. She said would still be concerned even if the owners of the restaurant were Thai.

Kim said he was shocked to learn that members of the Thai community were offended by the name. Upon learning about the letter, he e-mailed Sarntivijai immediately and requested a meeting. Kim said he and the other owners wanted to explain the name to TSA members.

After hearing the reasons for the name. TSA offered "No's Thai," "Noe Thai!" and "No Thai!: by Mr. No" as possible alternatives to the existing name.

"They said that the name was not discrimination and claimed that we were overreacting," Sarntivijai said. "We thought it was ridiculous, but we understand that changing their name would be difficult."

Kim said the name is essential to his restaurant's success.

"This is the identity and name of the restaurant," he said. He added that changing the existing brand would be unrealistic.

Instead, the No Thai! owners offered to post a letter in the restaurant explaining the context of the name.

Sarntivijai said that though the letter explained the name, it did not apologize to the Thai community for what she said could be construed as an insult.

Kim said he understood the concerns, but the story behind the name shouldn't be ignored.

"They're taking it out of context," he said. "There is no hostility or discrimination implied. Of course, I can see why someone would be offended."

TSA member Yingluck Thongpenyai said the context is irrelevant and the name is still offensive.

"It's the name of the person, but the first impression is that they're saying 'No Thai people,' " she said. "It seemed obvious that they didn't care about the effect the name had on Thai people."

Sarntivijai discussed TSA's concerns about the name at the recent Climate Matters conference, a University-sponsored forum held Nov. 5 at the Trotter Multicultural Center for students to discuss their concerns about campus atmosphere.

LSA senior Jim Schreiber said he got Expect Respect, a University group that aims to ensure a campus climate of acceptance and diversity of which he is a member, involved in the matter after hearing Sarntivijai's concerns at the conference.

TSA and Expect Respect have since started the "No Taste Campaign" to raise awareness of Thai students' concerns. Part of the campaign includes a Facebook.com group, which, as of last night, had 98 members.

"We're not saying that we want people to boycott," Schreiber said. "We're trying to raise awareness. However, when people become aware of the issue, the end result tends to be that they decide not to eat there."

Kim said the restaurant has loyal customers, including people of Thai descent, who continue to eat at the restaurant, which also has a location on North Fourth Avenue.

He said the name was meant to be a "clever play on words" and "somewhat ironic." He said the name was meant to inspire curiosity in customers - not because it is offensive, but because it could mean the restaurant doesn't serve Thai food, even though it does serve Thai food and the word "Thai" is prominently displayed.

"We wanted a name to show that we weren't some generic Thai restaurant," Kim said. "We wanted to be unique."

But Schreiber said the name is still troubling.

"It's an ambiguous name that can be taken offensively," he said. "Using nationality and ethnicity in a negative way is a bad marketing gimmick."

Sarntivijai said that not all Thai students are upset with the name. She said most were puzzled, and some were indifferent.

"To be honest, I'm pretty neutral," said Kongkom Hiranpradit, a College of Engineering senior and TSA member. "I feel a little offended, but I don't really care. I think the best solution would be for them to make a slight change to a name that is more clear."

Kim said he might change the name if enough people are still offended by it after they learn the history of the name.

"If it turns out that people understand the context of the name and feel that we are doing a true wrong, we would consider changing the name, but I don't feel that this is the case now," Kim said. "It's not a statement - it's a name."

Edited by qualtrough

I think these students positively want to be offended. Man, talk about being thin-skinned, not to mention hypocritical given the 24/7 insults to other cultures that cab be seen in Thailand daily. Best examples are the periodic 'Nazi' or 'Hitler' themed products, stores, and school celebrations, or the use of other country's flags, etc. in inappropriate ways. The list is endless. That doesn't really get my dander up, but to see them freaking out at what wasn't even intended as an insult (nor would be interpreted as such by any normal person) is a bit rich. For your reading pleasure:

Thai students: Eatery's name is offensive

Group wants No Thai! to change moniker

By Julie Rowe: Daily Staff Reporter on 11/19/07

Rackham student Sirarat Sarntivijai said she was confused and offended when a restaurant called No Thai! opened on South University Avenue in September 2005. She thought the name suggested that Thai people were not welcome in the restaurant.

Members of the Thai Student Association, including Sarntivijai, its president, said they find the name deeply offensive.

Victor Kim, one of the restaurant's four owners and a Ross School of Business graduate, said the name isn't intended to be offensive. He said No Thai! was named after the restaurant's head chef and co-owner, Noerung Hang, whose nickname is "No."

"(TSA students) are taking it offensively, but we do not discriminate against anyone who comes into our restaurant," Kim said.

Kim, along with two of the other owners, is Korean. Fourth owner and head chef Hang is Hmong, but his family has been in the Thai food industry for years.

Sarntivijai said the heritage of the owners doesn't matter. She said would still be concerned even if the owners of the restaurant were Thai.

Kim said he was shocked to learn that members of the Thai community were offended by the name. Upon learning about the letter, he e-mailed Sarntivijai immediately and requested a meeting. Kim said he and the other owners wanted to explain the name to TSA members.

After hearing the reasons for the name. TSA offered "No's Thai," "Noe Thai!" and "No Thai!: by Mr. No" as possible alternatives to the existing name.

"They said that the name was not discrimination and claimed that we were overreacting," Sarntivijai said. "We thought it was ridiculous, but we understand that changing their name would be difficult."

Kim said the name is essential to his restaurant's success.

"This is the identity and name of the restaurant," he said. He added that changing the existing brand would be unrealistic.

Instead, the No Thai! owners offered to post a letter in the restaurant explaining the context of the name.

Sarntivijai said that though the letter explained the name, it did not apologize to the Thai community for what she said could be construed as an insult.

Kim said he understood the concerns, but the story behind the name shouldn't be ignored.

"They're taking it out of context," he said. "There is no hostility or discrimination implied. Of course, I can see why someone would be offended."

TSA member Yingluck Thongpenyai said the context is irrelevant and the name is still offensive.

"It's the name of the person, but the first impression is that they're saying 'No Thai people,' " she said. "It seemed obvious that they didn't care about the effect the name had on Thai people."

Sarntivijai discussed TSA's concerns about the name at the recent Climate Matters conference, a University-sponsored forum held Nov. 5 at the Trotter Multicultural Center for students to discuss their concerns about campus atmosphere.

LSA senior Jim Schreiber said he got Expect Respect, a University group that aims to ensure a campus climate of acceptance and diversity of which he is a member, involved in the matter after hearing Sarntivijai's concerns at the conference.

TSA and Expect Respect have since started the "No Taste Campaign" to raise awareness of Thai students' concerns. Part of the campaign includes a Facebook.com group, which, as of last night, had 98 members.

"We're not saying that we want people to boycott," Schreiber said. "We're trying to raise awareness. However, when people become aware of the issue, the end result tends to be that they decide not to eat there."

Kim said the restaurant has loyal customers, including people of Thai descent, who continue to eat at the restaurant, which also has a location on North Fourth Avenue.

He said the name was meant to be a "clever play on words" and "somewhat ironic." He said the name was meant to inspire curiosity in customers - not because it is offensive, but because it could mean the restaurant doesn't serve Thai food, even though it does serve Thai food and the word "Thai" is prominently displayed.

"We wanted a name to show that we weren't some generic Thai restaurant," Kim said. "We wanted to be unique."

But Schreiber said the name is still troubling.

"It's an ambiguous name that can be taken offensively," he said. "Using nationality and ethnicity in a negative way is a bad marketing gimmick."

Sarntivijai said that not all Thai students are upset with the name. She said most were puzzled, and some were indifferent.

"To be honest, I'm pretty neutral," said Kongkom Hiranpradit, a College of Engineering senior and TSA member. "I feel a little offended, but I don't really care. I think the best solution would be for them to make a slight change to a name that is more clear."

Kim said he might change the name if enough people are still offended by it after they learn the history of the name.

"If it turns out that people understand the context of the name and feel that we are doing a true wrong, we would consider changing the name, but I don't feel that this is the case now," Kim said. "It's not a statement - it's a name."

some things still shock me in thailand :o

I am shocked that people can live here and condem Thais for being annoyed that some idiot korean didn't have any foresight.

This is an idiot thread and if you want to live in this country, you should be more sensitive to the countries people and not start off with such a ridiculous pre-amble.

Post the article by all means, but don't be surprised if not everybody agrees with you.

It could have been Mr No's Thai restaurant, No's Thai restaurant or whole host of less contentious names. No wonder they are up in arms about Korean tour guides working here if this is what their countrymen think is appropriate behaviour.

I am shocked that people can live here and condem Thais for being annoyed that some idiot korean didn't have any foresight.

This is an idiot thread and if you want to live in this country, you should be more sensitive to the countries people and not start off with such a ridiculous pre-amble.

Post the article by all means, but don't be surprised if not everybody agrees with you.

It could have been Mr No's Thai restaurant, No's Thai restaurant or whole host of less contentious names. No wonder they are up in arms about Korean tour guides working here if this is what their countrymen think is appropriate behaviour.

It's in Michigan. Any other conclusions you'd like to jump to?

Its not only thailand where the PC police are out in force, its also the rest of the world too. The US is the same. We must now measure our words less we offend. I remember a few years ago, Native Americans,,,remember when we called them Indians? wanted Squaw Valley name changed, along with sports team names, such as Redskins, Indians, etc.

I also remember a few years ago when a stupid DC Government official was offended by the word niggling in a budget document, suggested it was a racist word.....The list goes on and on. Thailand is just the latest country to come on board.

I certainly think it is within the right of the Thai's in the area to complain. As a restaurant owner, I am sure he will want to change the name to something that attracts customers, not that repels a group--especially since Thai students probably occasionally might want Thai food.

Recently walking down Sukhumvit Soi 39, I felt a bit thirsty. Fortunately I was walking past some jolly-looking taverns with a plethora of welcoming hostesses. Imagine my shock when I was told at the door, "No farang." And this in Thailand too!

Recently walking down Sukhumvit Soi 39, I felt a bit thirsty. Fortunately I was walking past some jolly-looking taverns with a plethora of welcoming hostesses. Imagine my shock when I was told at the door, "No farang." And this in Thailand too!

Maybe this was some of those places for the Japanese? :o

Maybe this was some of those places for the Japanese? :D

Nuke it. :o

:D:o:D :Som Nam Nah!

the reaction, is that of highly immature, egoistic, self centered, nationalistic, patriotic minds... very naive and infantile too... not a grain of maturity - no matter what their age is!

I am a german - I feele highly insulted that they mistreat and make a mock of the insignia's of my forefathers! :D

Who can be sick enough to complain about a restaurants name?

The same happened to Tsu Nami; that excellent Japanese restaurant in one of the hotels on Sukhumvit after that fateful event. Did not matter that the restaurant had been established a while before the tsunami, many Thais were not happy with the name either at the time..

Storm in a teacup...

It will soon go the same way these events do...

The same happened to Tsu Nami; that excellent Japanese restaurant in one of the hotels on Sukhumvit after that fateful event. Did not matter that the restaurant had been established a while before the tsunami, many Thais were not happy with the name either at the time..

Storm in a teacup...

It will soon go the same way these events do...

Yes and they also wanted Newcastle United supporters to change there name until they realised that the pronunciation was slightly out.

Thanks Thaidlehands for pointing that out! I wonder if he is embarrassed? :o

:o

Naka.

I wonder how Thais would act if they went to a Western country and were asked to pay ten times as much as the locals to get into a national park? Or if they went into a shop and someone said, "you Thai, you pay more."

qualtrough, the swastika is actually much older than Nazi-ism. It is an ancient Buddhist symbol. I don't know why Hitler and the gang chose it... perhaps someone else does. But you're right... there are shirts with Bin Laden and all sort of offensive stuff that we don't spit the dummy about... aren't there. :o

Part of student life is going on crusades and trying to change the world.

I am happy for them.

They have the rest of their lives to be cynical and bored.

You stole my thoughts.

:o

Was just about to write the same.

Students all over the world are happy when they can criticise something.

I used to get annoyed when I saw these "Japanese only" bars, outside Japan.

I'm sure most bar & restaurant owners would easily ban their own folks if it meant more revenue.