Brisbane - Cheap Hotel Or Accomodation Near Th Consulate

I stayed at Brisbane Street Studios on the corner of Ipswich Road and Brisbane Street - the good thing about it was the affordable price, the fact that the room was very clean, the staff helpful and friendly, the bed comfortable, and that the price included broadband internet (network jack in your room), a fridge, a front end loader washing machine, and an iron and ironing board. Woolworth's is literally just across the street if you want to do your own shopping for making breakfast. The location is within walking distance of the Consulate, but it is a long walk and probably wouldn't be too pleasant at the height of summer.

The downside was that the walls were thin as paper with virtually no insulation against sound. This was especially annoying during early morning rush hour since the building was right on the corner of one of the main feeder roads into the city center.

There are other more conveniently located options, closer to the consulate and the city centre; if I go again I would look into trying one of those instead.

Edited by weary

Will be going to Brisbane shortly for a NON-B.

Can anyone recommend an accomodation? Perferably near the TH Consulate.

Planning to stay for 4 days.

Tnx for your replies :o

rheinwiese, just spoke to an Aussie who went to Brisbane recently and this is what he told me:

1. Do not fly Thai Airways, because they fly over Sydney. There they unload and clean the plane before they connect to Brisbane.

They get into Brisbane very very late in the evening and you will be confined more or less to the airport where you pay expensively.

2. Just after Immigration there happens to be a board with all the hotels and motels in town and you may get a place for just THB 1000-1200.

A shuttle service will bring you there.

2. Just after Immigration there happens to be a board with all the hotels and motels in town and you may get a place for just THB 1000-1200.

Maybe Australia is different, if so please disregard this, but in Thailand and Sweden at least, the airport hotel desks are not the best places to book rooms as they will end up more expensive that way.

I would Google for hotel booking sites and see which one of them offers the best rate for the hotel you decide to stay in. Calling or e-mailing the hotel can be a good idea as well, for comparison purposes.

Will be going to Brisbane shortly for a NON-B.

Can anyone recommend an accomodation? Perferably near the TH Consulate.

Planning to stay for 4 days.

Tnx for your replies :o

rheinwiese, just spoke to an Aussie who went to Brisbane recently and this is what he told me:

1. Do not fly Thai Airways, because they fly over Sydney. There they unload and clean the plane before they connect to Brisbane.

They get into Brisbane very very late in the evening and you will be confined more or less to the airport where you pay expensively.

I have some good news for Brisbane visa runners.

There is an AirAsia flight from KL to the Gold Coast which is only one hour (80 km) away from Brisbane. There's a train running between the Gold Coast (Nerang) and Brisbane.

Checking out the prices: The cheapest return flight I could find was MYR 1,373.

An early December trip booked now would cost MYR 2871. A January trip booked now would cost 1,610.

Booked well ahead this is a fantastic way to go.

Edited by tropo

I'm an Aussie who maintains a home in Brisbane, and I've never had a problem flying Thai, except for the price.

If you're saving your pennies, there's a few backpackers in town: Banana Bender, The Downunder, and it would be easy to catch a train to Park Road station, walk down to Annerley Road about 100m, turn right and walk another 50 metres.

At some point, convenience is usually worth paying for. Diana Hotel, as someone already mentioned, is only a short walk down Annerley Road.