Transferring To Air Asia After Arriving At Bkk

grtaylor

A friend of mine is flying in from Delhi in December, and then the two of us are flying on to Penang with Air Asia.

Can he transfer to Air Asia without coming in through immigration, or will he have to "enter" Thailand and clear customs etc., and then leave again?

Thanks for any information,

G

Edited by grtaylor

A friend of mine is flying in from Delhi in December, and then the two of us are flying on to Penang with Air Asia.

Can he transfer to Air Asia without coming in through immigration, or will he have to "enter" Thailand and clear customs etc., and then leave again?

G

No. Must clear immigration, collect baggage, clear customs, exit into main hall, go upstairs, and check in at Air Asia.

Cheers,

Mike

on the same subject I have to transfer to a Bangkokair flight to Phnompehn, does Bangkokair

have a transfer desk or do I also have to go through passport/customs?

I will only have a carry-on bag or can i check in on-line?

Have done a google and it seems there is a transfer counter but its not

obvious where.

cheers

on the same subject I have to transfer to a Bangkokair flight to Phnompehn, does Bangkokair

obvious where.

cheers

I don't know, but if BangkokAir advertises as a "point-to-point" carrier, they have no transfer facilities. At least, this is my understanding, somebody correct me if I am wrong. Check the T&Cs on your ticket or their website.

And a word of warning - check your baggage allowance. Air Asia is less than most international airlines.
I arrived on last sunday with 24kg by Turkish Airlines and went on on Air Asia to Phuket. Paid 640 Baht + Tax. Several other people had two really fat bags as carry-on and paid nothing. :o Anyway, last trip with this airline. On the way to Europe one week before I came to Bangkok with Air Asia and had to wait exactly 56 minutes for my baggage (plane was about half full). Some others on the same trip may have missed their ongoing flight... Oh yes, you get what you pay for.

And a word of warning - check your baggage allowance. Air Asia is less than most international airlines.
I arrived on last sunday with 24kg by Turkish Airlines and went on on Air Asia to Phuket. Paid 640 Baht + Tax. Several other people had two really fat bags as carry-on and paid nothing. :o Anyway, last trip with this airline. On the way to Europe one week before I came to Bangkok with Air Asia and had to wait exactly 56 minutes for my baggage (plane was about half full). Some others on the same trip may have missed their ongoing flight... Oh yes, you get what you pay for.

On the other hand....

I flew Air Asia from Ubon to BKK, then on to Singapore. My connection in BKK was fairly short. When I checked in at Ubon, they mentioned my short connection, and asked if I would like to collect my baggage as I got off the plane instead of waiting at the carousel. I accepted, and when I got off the plane in BKK my bag was waiting at the bottom of the steps with a stewardess and a smile.

As they say, your mileage may vary :D

obvious where.

via/connecting with SOME airlines only (luggage through-labelled). it should be somewhere on their website. AFAIK NO online check-in (yet).

why ask for directions HERE? ask at information at airport, (ladies welcoming you at the arrrival gate) or follow signs. In this respect swampy really adheres to normal international standard.

It's a shame Air Asia is the only airlines i can use for the time I get int to the airport. Going to Chieng Rai in the evening. Do not want to connect ot Don Muang. Did this before and paid over 1000 baht for extra luggage. You get what you pay for. This itme I will hand varry the heavy stuff. You are supposed to get 7 kgs carry on but if it fits, I don't think they check that weight.

Hey people.

AIR ASIA is great.

Of course ya get wot ya pay for.

Bangkok usually twice as much, Thai too.15ks baggage is a pain, but I "STUFF" allowable heavy things into my cabin bag.

Neva have a problem.

Check in people ask if you want to remove anything, they unnastand.

I use the express boarding they offer, get a good possy and room for a BIG cabin bag.....LOL.

I use Air Asia for most flites in the region.

They are late at times, but no worry, so am I.

G

In theory your friend could stay in international transit, go to one of the transfer counters and check-in with Thai AirAsia (FD), and not have to enter Thailand. The complicating factor is checked bags and any existing interline (checking bags through to final destination, across mutliple carriers and connecitons) agreements. If your friend does not have checked bags then they can use a transfer counter and not enter Thailand (and meet you airside). If they have checked bags, and the carrier for DEL-BKK will not interline the bags (I suspect not, especially as they are probably on separate PNRs {tickets}), then they will have to clear Immigration (enter Thailand), retrieve checked bags, clear Customs, proceed up to level 2, check-in with FD, clear Immigration (leaving Thailand).

In these days of low-cost travel you definitely give up a lot of benefits especially when you mix legacy carriers and LCC's on the same itinerary. Interlining, protection during IRROPS, Immigration snafus all can add up.

Apologies for posting mis-information above. phibunmike is correct here.

I have read, in another forum and from an informed source, that Thai AirAsia only accepts check-ins at their land-side counters and offer no airside transfer facilities. All customers need to clear Immigration, pick up any checked bags, clear Customs, then check in with AirAsia.

AFAIK, Bangkok Airways does advertise interline agreements, on their website, with some carriers at BKK. I am not sure how these work based on the various connection types and destinations.