Mac Internet Connection

park

apologies if this has been gone over many times before and also if im asking dumb questions but im going out of my mind here.

moved into my apartment 3 weeks ago.

have internet access throughout the building, via the owner, not through individual set ups.

i was given a modem but it wasnt comaptable with my powerbook g4 ???

was given another one city-netek home pna to ethernet converter that worked just fine.

however this was "borrowed" by the owner from another tenant who then wanted it back.

have looked the usual places but cant seem to find another one.

there is a wireless set up in the building but it is so weak its worse than useless.

do i need specifiaclly a home pna to ethernet converter if so any idea where i can get one? brand names ?

could i just buy my own wireless router and plug into the phone line in my apartment? if so can i just get a belkin / d-link / netgear / linksys (any recomendations?) or do i need to get a mac airport express?

i never had these problems in the uk. hooking the mac up was a piece of cake. is it just me ? or macs and thailand? or macs. i know the apartment owner is a shyster and part/most of the problem.

any help / ideas would be MOST gratefully recieved.

I stayed in an apartment in Ekamai with the same setup. The Ethernet to HomePNA converter that you need is difficult to get hold of, I looked all over for one. I may still have it laying around actually. You could ask, the person who's modem you used before, if you could look underneath it for a contact number. Usually the store that sells it will attach a warranty sticker.

Other than that, you cannot hook up your own router on the line. You would have to contact True or TOT to come and install your own line and many apartments don't allow that. You are pretty stuck with your apartments internet or (if you have a bluetooth enabled cellphone) you could connect via EDGE/GPRS. But that option is quite expensive unless you get a good GPRS package.

Edit: Just found my old converter, the number of the store (NVK) is: 029357701 (they are quite expesive though, you are looking at about 3000 Baht)

ps. If you want my old one and are willing to pick it up, you are welcome to take it. It's just gathering dust here anyway.

Edited by Norrad