Truck Got Keyed Last Night

torrenova

Some nice <deleted> keyed the nearside of the truck last night. Not down to the metal but a simple scratch remover has barely made a difference. Its a little on the back door and all the way dor the passenger door.

The wife said insurance but I said no. We have a couple of other smaller scratches which we could get done at the same time.

It is a D-Max Highlander in metallic black.

I am scared of doing anything myself. Stuff like t-cutting just fills me with dread as I know it is screwing with the paint job. I also don't just want to give it to local Somchai who will do exactly what I don't want him to do.

Maybe I'm paranoid but i'd rather leave it than get it screwed up more.

Help !

Pattaya Garage on Sukhumvit between Nua and the Naklua turning on left hand side is the best bodyshop in Pattaya. They could put it right in no time, however the down side is that they are always packed to the brim with cars. I took one of my cars in there (after Insurance company said they are the best), and actually paid for the repair myself so as not to lose my 40% no claims bonus. The job was excellent - no sign of any mismatch on paint (and I have a metalic colour, not common vehicle in Thailand) - the downside was is took them 7 days to do it. Probably for a key scratch might be less time, but I had them doing loads of stuff that always needing doing after 100,000kms of driving in and around Bangkok.

By the way, if you go, its extremely easy to miss it - if your at the Siam Commercial Bank , you have gone way too far - its about 400m before SCB and that traffic light set and down what looks like a driveway - once you look down, you see an bodyshop with about 40 cars inside at anytime.

By the way, thats also where Mercedes authorise repair bodywork repairs in Chonburi in that place.

The wife said insurance but I said no.

Why?

Why do you have insurance then? Honestly any penalty in the yearly premium in Thailand is completely negligible.. In fact the only effect MAY be to get slightly less discount, but still SOME discount next year. They do want your business youknow.

The wife said insurance but I said no.

Why?

Why do you have insurance then? Honestly any penalty in the yearly premium in Thailand is completely negligible.. In fact the only effect MAY be to get slightly less discount, but still SOME discount next year. They do want your business youknow.

Then you have another poster saying he protected his 40% no claims by paying himself. So who is telling the truth ? My insurance was about 18k (new truck) so even 20% would be 3.6k. Also, there are a couple of other scratches and it might be time to have it sorted out all at the same time.

Pattaya Garage on Sukhumvit between Nua and the Naklua turning on left hand side is the best bodyshop in Pattaya. They could put it right in no time, however the down side is that they are always packed to the brim with cars. I took one of my cars in there (after Insurance company said they are the best), and actually paid for the repair myself so as not to lose my 40% no claims bonus. The job was excellent - no sign of any mismatch on paint (and I have a metalic colour, not common vehicle in Thailand) - the downside was is took them 7 days to do it. Probably for a key scratch might be less time, but I had them doing loads of stuff that always needing doing after 100,000kms of driving in and around Bangkok.

By the way, if you go, its extremely easy to miss it - if your at the Siam Commercial Bank , you have gone way too far - its about 400m before SCB and that traffic light set and down what looks like a driveway - once you look down, you see an bodyshop with about 40 cars inside at anytime.

By the way, thats also where Mercedes authorise repair bodywork repairs in Chonburi in that place.

Absolutely agree - they do an excellent job. They don't always need to keep your car there, depending which bit you have got damaged. For a bumper (fender) repair they would probably just take the bumber off and also your fuel filler cover (if you have one) so that they can get the colour match exact. Otherwise they will want the vehicle for a week.

They are the approved body shop for Honda, by the way, for anyone that's interested.

DM

Edited by doctormann

according to my wife who is a first year driver there is no penalty on our policy for claims. In fact, we don't even pay anything for repairs. In the first 6 months of driving the wife has had at least 4 "touches" in the car park which have required resprays. Total cost each time: 0Bt. First time I said never mind because I figured it would cost more in higher premium or loss of discount but apparently there's no cost on our policy as it is the highest level of insurance. I was surprised and a bit disbelieving but the new year's premuim seems to back up the wife's claim.

Could it be that Thailand's insurance industry practices are actually better than western countries ?

edit: for posting before finished

Edited by sibeymai

according to my wife who is a first year driver there is no penalty on our policy for claims. In fact, we don't even pay anything for repairs. In the first 6 months of driving the wife has had at least 4 "touches" in the car park which have required resprays. Total cost each time: 0Bt. First time I said never mind because I figured it would cost more in higher premium or loss of discount but apparently there's no cost on our policy as it is the highest level of insurance. I was surprised and a bit disbelieving but the new year's premuim seems to back up the wife's claim.

Could it be that Thailand's insurance industry practices are actually better than western countries ?

edit: for posting before finished

Well its obvious that insurance here is so inefficient. having it on the vehicle not the person is surely daft as how do you assess the personal risk - then again, the majority of Thai drivers are rubbish so there you have your risk profile.

I would get something done but I know that next week there will be something else. I suppose I could get it all done but the insurance is not due until June and I want to do some research on just how much you can get off for no claims. At this point in time, my opinion is that they expect you to claim each year and thus do not penalise you for claiming in the range they expect. Effectively, instead of charging you 12k per year they charge you 18k and expect you to claim about 6k per year. If you don't claim, then they charge you the 18 k a year for year 2. I hope I can disprove this but that would be what I bet it the real system here.

CLAIM if you have time to wait, I didn't claim once and it went quick, but then again when I claimed I told the insurance company that I wanted to take it to my friends garage... I DID A LOT ON THE CAR THEN, never a call or increase in the premium.. They over charge you and they want you to claim... I would rather claim and not get the bonus... Claim 7900B bonus 3600 B do the math... besides, if you let your GF drive your car, hehe its a bad thing, like an accident waiting to happen...

PS, The person that keyed your car, he should be BELTED and WHIPPED!!! :o

Edited by snowflake

CLAIM if you have time to wait, I didn't claim once and it went quick, but then again when I claimed I told the insurance company that I wanted to take it to my friends garage... I DID A LOT ON THE CAR THEN, never a call or increase in the premium.. They over charge you and they want you to claim... I would rather claim and not get the bonus... Claim 7900B bonus 3600 B do the math... besides, if you let your GF drive your car, hehe its a bad thing, like an accident waiting to happen...

But the problem is that I don't know the bonus scheme nor do I know the increased premium if I move companies (very likely) so the effect of any claims are unknown. I suspect I'd be better claiming but at the moment I need the truck and I cannot leave it for a week.

But the problem is that I don't know the bonus scheme nor do I know the increased premium if I move companies (very likely) so the effect of any claims are unknown. I suspect I'd be better claiming but at the moment I need the truck and I cannot leave it for a week.

Our insurance came with the car when we bought it new from the dealer. When it needs a respray under the insurance policy the dealer handles it all when the car goes for its regular service. Takes an extra 1-2 days.