Thai Police To Get New Style Of Uniforms

sriracha john

1-2.gif

Naewna newspaper

Sartorial rethink for police officers are to get a cooler uniform, thanks to rising temperatures as a result of global warming.

Thailand's finest will soon be on the beat in short-sleeved shirts in a lighter khaki fabric than worn today. Their trousers will remain the same.

Leather boots will be replaced by "good-looking" rubber-soled shoes made especially for officer comfort and for durability.

On top, officers caps with heavy peaks and safety helmets will make way for berets or caps, explained national police chief Seripisut Temiyavej.

Insignia and badges can be sewn on uniforms or attached using Velcro, Seripisut said.

The wardrobe change is unlikely to meet with senior-officer resistance. Seripisut said it was cooler for the outdoors and would help save energy in stations.

Money for the new look will be available as soon as the style is approved.

- The Nation

oops... they'll no longer be BIB... but BIK....

Thai police may wear short sleeves to save energy

BANGKOK: Thailand may allow its police officers to cool off by wearing a new short-sleeve uniform, a move they hope will also help save energy at police stations, a spokesman said Saturday.

Thai police currently have only a brown, torso-hugging, long-sleeve uniform that they wear even while directing traffic in Bangkok's sweltering heat.

National police chief Sereepisut Taemeeyaves has proposed a new lighter-weight khaki-colored uniform that would have short sleeves to make it cooler for police on the street, spokesman Pongsapat Pongcharoen said.

Sereepisut also hopes the change would help police save energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by encouraging officers to turn down air conditioners at police stations, Pongsapat added.

"We have discussed changing to a new police uniform for a long time, to find something more relaxed and suited to our climate," he said.

Approving a new uniform is a complicated and lengthy process, and will require the police commission to seek a change to the laws regulating the force, Pongsapat added.

- AFP

It certainly is getting a fair amount of international air-play....

Thai cops getting cooler to combat global warming

Bangkok - Thailand's Police Chief has proposed new uniforms for cops in an effort to save on energy bills and keep the force cooler on the job, media reports said Saturday.

National Police Chief Seripisuth Temiyavej has asked the police commission to discard the force's traditional tight-fitting khaki uniforms, helmets and leather boots in favour of cooler gear to match the country's hot climate which is getting hotter, the Bangkok Post reported.

Seripisuth has drawn up new uniforms featuring light short-sleeved shirts, short khaki pants, berets and rubber shoes that he hopes will meet with the commission's approval.

The Police Chief said the new uniforms would not only be better for cops' health but would allow stations to reduce their air-conditioner use, which has contributed to global warming.

- Deutsche Presse-Agentur (DPA)

=============================

I wanna see the cop, in the first photo of Post #4 above, wearing...

short khaki pants

:D:o

Edited by sriracha john

It's a good choice for comfort no question about it .

But IMO the shirt colour is a bit too bright and breezy for dealing with hardened criminals and taking charge of a situation. I know I'll sound like a facist for saying this but darker colours seem to engender more respect and (dare I say it) lend a more intimidating aspect to a policeman. Take the NYC cops and many others wearing black uniforms for example.

Still maybe it'll bring round a more friendly aspect to them than the brooding ambience they sometimes give off...

But IMO the shirt colour is a bit too bright and breezy for dealing with hardened criminals and taking charge of a situation. I know I'll sound like a facist for saying this but darker colours lend a more intimidating aspect to a policeman. Take the NYC cops and many others wearing black uniforms for example.

Western police in some Thai resort cities seem to think so... :o

" Insignia and badges can be sewn on uniforms or attached using Velcro "

Great idea, well at least the velcro part anyway . Useful in emergency situations when it comes to taking a backhander and you do not want the poor motorist to know who you are.

They can also use the uniforms for doing private security work , just detach the police badge and add the security one.

Sadly now I see the demise of the phrase ' the brown mafia '.

I am now introducing the phrase ' Khaki Krooks ' .

But IMO the shirt colour is a bit too bright and breezy for dealing with hardened criminals and taking charge of a situation. I know I'll sound like a facist for saying this but darker colours seem to engender more respect and (dare I say it) lend a more intimidating aspect to a policeman.

What about... pink ?

:o

Pink = tuesday = Mars = war

To finish on a lighter note... here is what a fortune teller is saying about pink.

Fortune teller Kengkaard Jongjaiprah said Thailand -- due to hold a general election next month after an army coup last year -- could become chaotic if everyone started wearing pink on the same day.

"We will be under the influence of Mars from next week to February, which will bring conflicts to the country," Kengkaard said. "If many people wear pink, I am afraid that will strengthen Mars' influence."

(source)

So in Thailand, nothing can be really surprising... :D

Edited by sbk
discussion of the monarchy is forbidden in forum rules--sbk

They'll look fat. Of course, some Thai police are quite fit but then there are loads who are tubby. The light color will make them look quite fat. And their shirts won't last or look good for long once they start sweating in the sun. I bet this is another 'great idea' that costs cash then is in short time booted.

• 1 month later...
The end of an era?

thailand.jpg

The dramatically high-topped Thai police hat, which is often even more pronounced than this example.

To be replaced by a beret.

Which is also too damned hot .. with no shade for the face or neck. Baseball cap or bush hat style would be more appropriate to the climate.

• 1 year later...

We are still waiting for the new style in Pattaya.

Then perhaps the Authoritarian look Tourist Police Volunteers will get a more friendly look - Then when they are chasing the street urchins, they would be harder to spot :o

i am sorry, but khaki doesn't go well with the hello kitty armband... :opost-12195-1199246801_thumb.jpg

Should make them yellow and see what the Red Trolls have to say about that ;-) Yellow stays nice and cool :-) In Canada, they changed the fire trucks from Red to Yellow years ago, because studies have shown, that yellow is a "safer" color (easier noticed). They will be less likely mistaken for speed bumps that way.

I think bigger Tea Money pockets are a given. After all, one has to account for future inflation ;-)