Wikipedia Blocked In Thailand...

CosmicSurfer

For MONTHS now, I'm having great difficulty connecting to Wikipedia...

Does anyone else have this issue ???

I Mentioned this to some of the people at Bangkok Post, DataBase, and I got a response from them that TRUE had a DNS Look-Up problem, that they can't seem to rectify, re Wikipedia.

I Know that Everything on Wikipedia needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but it's still a valuable tool for quick info look-up, and as a starting point for more in-depth research. Plus many Google searches point to it.

Any Feedback??

CS

If you are using a TRUE connection the procedure is to set up the TRUE proxy and contact will be restored. For Firefox browser you select tools/advanced/network/settings/manual proxy configuration and enter proxy.asianet.co.th and port 80

If you have a router/modem you need to connect direct you enter the IP number in the "no proxy for" line at the bottom.

A few days ago (Mon or Tue) I had no problem with Wikipwdia but just now no luck.

I'm on True ADSL in BKK.

Aside question: if I set up the True proxy or use opendns, does this only affect the PC I used to do the set-up or also all PCs on the LAN? We are on an ADLS router.

opalhort

You are only setting up your browser to use the proxy. I just tested it on my Bangkok TRUE connection and there is no contact using direct network or auto proxy - only when change to the assigned proxy can I make connection (as of one minute ago).

I use it frequently and no problems whatsoever. Maybe try Opendns.

And are you using a TRUE connection? This is only a problem on TRUE - and in my experience opendns does not solve it.

I am using True in Bangkok and I can go to Wikipedia.

Are you by chance using a proxy?

I just set my browser to TRUE's proxy (proxy.asianet.co.th) port 80 and it works OK.

but now other web-sites have problems, like Google spelling server for example.

opalhort

The first time I also had a problem but after closing browser and starting again have not had another problem - and can go back to non proxy and return without a problem.

The first time I also had a problem but after closing browser and starting again have not had another problem - and can go back to non proxy and return without a problem.

after restarting the browser other web sites are OK but the Spell check in the Goggle tool bar does not work with the proxy. switched proxy off and spell check is OK.

opalhort

In that case you can set it up to not use proxy in your browser if you obtain the ip or name it is calling up - in Firefox you enter exceptions at the bottom of the page you set the proxy on.

No idea how I can do this in M$ IE6. Anyway it is not really an issue for me since everything I need works just fine without the proxy. Only tested Wikipedia recently after it had been mentioned frequently here on TV.

In any case it is easy to switch between proxy and no proxy - so no problem at all.

opalhort

Is it just me or is true ridiculously-slow now.

Bangna area, I'm topping at 25kb/s downloading but uploading at normal 50kb/s. It's been like this for about a week. Many websites time out, including my precious wikipedia.

So you think I should call them and bitch/cancel service/?

What ISP is better than true for around a thousand baht?

Is it just me or is true ridiculously-slow now.

Bangna area, I'm topping at 25kb/s downloading but uploading at normal 50kb/s. It's been like this for about a week. Many websites time out, including my precious wikipedia.

So you think I should call them and bitch/cancel service/?

What ISP is better than true for around a thousand baht?

I'm getting that. Paknam area and had the same for about a week. I was merrily downloading this year's Christmas tunes to make the 25 December mega-album but it's all 'failed' the last few days. Uploading is normal. I'm not getting time-outs on websites though.

Yes, there appears to be a slowdown on the TRUE international links for the past few days.

In BKK (Tungkruh) I only get 300-500Kbps down from US and EU but OK within Asia at 850-950Kbps down on a 1Mbps/512Kbps connection.

Uploads are all reasonable at 400-470Kbps.

But I think this is somewhat off-topic regarding the Wikipedia questions of the OP.

opalhort

I'm also using True ADSL in Bangkok with Maxthon, IE7 and Firefox browsers at home and IE6 and KSC corporate broadband at work.

Never had a problem calling up Wiki from either, but page access and downloads are becoming slower and slower. Too many users on the network and maybe a few too many bit torrent downloaders in condos in my soi (I'm at the end of the line). :o

I use it frequently and no problems whatsoever. Maybe try Opendns.

And are you using a TRUE connection? This is only a problem on TRUE - and in my experience opendns does not solve it.

Yes... I have a "TRUE" connection. and I don't use any proxies.

They should change the name of the company to... "TRUE B/S" {Buffalo Shit.}

All their services and products suck.

After 6 years.. they still can't get their mobile network operating properly... I have an Orange number I got WHEN they First started in Thailand..

I needed to get DTAC, because I couldn't get an orange connection in my Room.. On 14th Floor.. No High Buildings around here.. called them about it MANY times... They still haven't fixed it.. now they just bought the building NEXT door to me.. and I STILL can't get mobile service in my room. (They say all they need to do is put some kind of Booster in Building... When... Coming Soon...Thai time... Never ????)

So I figure they'll get around to fixing their Lousy INTERNET service around the same time... "When hel_l Freezes over".

Maybe they should change their company name from TRUE to FALSE. Now that would be TRUE, for sure.

Their Slogan can be... "Customer Service... What For?"

On a RANT..

CS :o

I was asking "uncas" if they were using a TRUE connection as changing dns servers did not solve the problem for me. I provided a solution in post #3 that did work for me. Have you tried that?

No, Sorry, I didn't. This suggestion seems to apply to Firefox users... and of all The Browser options on my computer.. I Like and use Firefox the LEAST.

I just want to be able to connect to a Wikipedia page from a Google search using IE7 or Maxthon or whichever browser I currently have open.

Also, I don't know the Wikipedia IP number.

What ever happened to KISS in Computing.

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky.. But all this WEB 2 stuff just seems to add increased complications to things that used to be easy, simple, and intuitive.

Web development is reaching the point of diminishing returns.

If it's difficult for an intelligent, imaginative, thinking person to understand... I can relate to how IMPOSSIBLE it is for a chaotic, feudal and monolithic organization like TRUE to get it right.

Meanwhile.. as of last time I tried..Yesterday... I still can't connect to Wikipedia, via TRUE.

CS

Since it's been established that wiki is, indeed, NOT blocked and in the interest of accuracy, can a thread title change be considered?

Sorry.. But the BBS Program running this Board, does not allow editing of Titles once Topics are submitted.

Besides... The title remain correct, as it has been supported by other posters, that those users of TRUE do have a problem with accessing Wikipedia, whether intentially, or through ineptitude. It is OTHER ISPs that seem to be OK. The Original Title was only a question.. Was (IS) Wikipedia Blocked for everybody.. Or ONLY TRUE ???

Sorry to have confused you.

CS

Since it's been established that wiki is, indeed, NOT blocked and in the interest of accuracy, can a thread title change be considered?

Sorry.. But the BBS Program running this Board, does not allow editing of Titles once Topics are submitted.

Besides... The title remain correct, as it has been supported by other posters, that those users of TRUE do have a problem with accessing Wikipedia, whether intentially, or through ineptitude. It is OTHER ISPs that seem to be OK. The Original Title was only a question.. Was (IS) Wikipedia Blocked for everybody.. Or ONLY TRUE ???

Sorry to have confused you.

CS

Not confused at all, just that the actual thread's title, "Wikipedia Blocked In Thailand" is a definitive statement and strongly implies governmental involvement, when this is obviously not the case. It is only somewhat tempered by the sub-title of the thread.

I'm also aware that OP's can not change the thread title once it's committed and so my question was more directed at mods who do have the ability to do so.

Perhaps a suitable suggestion might be:

True IP Users Having Difficulty Accessing Wikipedia or something along those lines.