Palm Pests

tamsin

I have several palms of different varieties, only one of which is being systematically destroyed by some tiny pale green insects which seem to congregate along the centre stems of the main leaves. The palm is one of those with a thick stem with rings at the bottom and very tightly packed fronds, which, as soon as they open, turn brown and die. It also smells a bit unpleasant too.

What are they and what can I do to get rid of them? The tree itself doesn't look like it's about to snuff it. Only problem with the fronds. Anyone know what I can spray them with to get rid of them once and for all. Tried some foul smelling brown stuff which was recommended for rust, but doesn't seem to be working.

Have you tried Neem? Its called Sadao in Thai and I think Sheryl mentioned that it's sold in Home pro and other places. Large bottle with the number "111" on it.

Just took a look at the bottle of foul smelling brown stuff, and it is Sadao, complete with the 111 on it. Didn't do much for my magnolia rust, is it supposed to be the local cure-all for any plant? Hasn't done much to kill of the little sods so far. Are there any other pesticides I could try?

Hmmm.... Sounds severe then, have you tried test spraying some of that nasty termite killing spray (chaindrite crack and crevice spray) on a piece? Don't go crazy as it could damage the plant but it does seem to kill everything.

You could also try mixing up fresh chilis (try the little thai ones--they are super hot) with some water and spraying the bugs with that.