Residency - Work Permit Renewal

it is said the work permit renewal is much easier for residency holders -

what is easier?

what papers have to be brought along?

the immigration lady told me today "only copies of the residence booklets ...", but I guess I've misunderstood her ...

tks for any clarifications and helps

TROLL?

If you really have a residence permit you would know what is going on.

Work permits come from the Labour Dept, not Immigration.

Please do not waste our time.

Edited by astral

you are truly a dumbass astral.

I said the lady at the immigration told me of how to proceed for the work permit renewal. but as she's immigration (and not work permit) I do not trust her information and therefore I post this request.

now you be quiet please - as you know the latest round of residency-approvels has just been made on august 3rd.

no be quiet and hang around somewhere else. meanwhile I hope for a constructive answer.

you are truly a dumbass astral.

I said the lady at the immigration told me of how to proceed for the work permit renewal. but as she's immigration (and not work permit) I do not trust her information and therefore I post this request.

now you be quiet please - as you know the latest round of residency-approvels has just been made on august 3rd.

no be quiet and hang around somewhere else. meanwhile I hope for a constructive answer.

Astral has a valid point.It is very hard to believe that someone with PR apparently has no idea how to process a work permit.

and boris: I didnt ask about how to renew a work permit, I asked: what is different/easier to before.

kindly read the question before shooting from the hips.

thank you.

OK I'm with you now.In fact the WP paperwork for Labour Dept is essentially the same as for those not holding PR except of course as amended by virtue of your new PR status (well done by the way).The WP is only "easier" for the Permanent Residence in the sense that the approval process has a relatively certain positive conclusion provided the rest of the paperwork is in order.However, giving credit where it is due, in recent years the WP process has been efficiently streamlined and is usually quick whether for PR or we hoi polloi.

My surprise at your question was simply because most Permanent residents would know all this backwards, probably via the lawyers retained for the PR application (yes.I know that some successful PR applicants do it all themseves).

Will try not to shoot from the hips in future, isn't it.

tks for your words boris.

I didnt do it over a lawyer, but by myself, therefore no one to ask all these basic questions.

and no working colleagues around have this PR, therefore my naivity.

I usually went to the one stop visa center. there they lately streamlined the work-permit and the visa-dates.

lets see what will be of novelty the next time.

tks again for your explanation boris -

I have PR, and I have a work Permit. They are different 'babies'.

PR doesn't change anything in regard to renewing your work permit. With PR:

- You still need a work permit

- Work permit approval or renewal is neither easier or more difficult because you have PR.

The 'one stop' office processes two things, in obvious steps:

1. Renew the work permit - same documentation needed both for holders and non holders of PR. (90% of the documentation is on stadard forms readily available from the 'one stop' shop, and other places. The additional 10% is standard letters confirming continuation of employment, plus copies of revenue department documents providing you and the employer have paid taxes. )

2. Work permit renewed then provides legal circumstance which supports / approves renewal of visa.

However in the case of people with PR, step 2 is 'cancelled'. There is no need for step 2.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alanw

As always Alan, very good advice.

Maybe I could add this:

For one year visa holders, your WP expires as soon as you visa expires. However very likely the issue date of your WP is not the same as the issue date of your visa.

Example: My one year visa was issued on 29 November 1994, my WP was first issued at 9 July 1995. After that the WP alway ran together with my visa from 29 november until 29 November.

When I was granted PR and went to extend the WP they advised me to extend it until the 9th of July, which I did. Now the WP runs from 9 july until 9 july.

Reason for this is that it saves WP extension fees. Before I received PR there was an extension charge from 29 november until 9 July and then another charge from 9 July until 29 November, confusing? YES, seems to be the way that they work.

Also without the PR you keep running from Immigration to Labour and back. With the PR you only need to make one extension for your WP per year.

tks for the advice mcexpat.

I'll do that and extend my WP for the period in question.

for me at least visa and WP were a one stop biz - at the one-stop-visa-center. but I think that place is available for only a certain range of jobs.

tks again! -

Danone, when did you receive your PR? When did you apply for it? Also, you mention that a certain number of people were granted PR recently. Where did you get this information and was it for the December 2003 intake? I applied in December 2003 and am awaiting the results of my application. I have not received any notification that my application was unsuccessful, so I am quietly hopeful.

Many thanks,

Bob

Bob - I applied in Dec 2001 (yes, thats nearly three years back).

but as mentioned, three Interior Ministers inbetween (who finally decide over the applications) made it a timely experience.

that year's RP have been granted on aug 3. I spoke to the officials there and saw the file numbers, thats why I mentioned the numbers of granted RPs.

to my knowledge the round of year 2002 received their papers long before us.

regarding your round I'd be optimistic.

you're doing the right thing. as long as you dont hear from them you're safe. I had quiet periods for over a year!

but be aware. once you would receive the green light (by registered mail) you have to get your booklets within 30 days. otherwise, I guess, it all becomes automatically invalid again.

but forget the rule that 100 RPs are granted per nation. for indians and chinese this rule applies, but not for farangs.

all together less than 100 farangs got the RP with my round.

good luck Bob!