Converting A Non-immigrant O To Retirement

Until today I was on a non-immigrant 0 visa which would have expired in October, but as I reentered LoS only last week my actual visa expiry date was in mid-November.

At soi 8 immigration I asked about conversion/upgrade to a retirement visa, which apparently is no problem if you can show the relevant resources.

The cost was 7,500 for the retirement visa, and another 4,000 for the multiple entry privilege, making 11,500 in all.

Barely an hour after paying the money I met an English guy who told me it cost him a mere 1,900 + his non-immigrant 0 visa for his retirement visa.

Also, at soi 8 I was led to understand that as I had just short of 3 months remaining on my current visa, the duration of the retirement visa would be accordingly extended, which according to the English guy is untrue.

Have I been ripped off AND lied to? Go on, flame away!

keda

Very strange. An application for extension of stay is normally only accepted during the last 30 days of your permission to stay stamp so if you entered last week you were not eligible.

The cost of a TM.7 (application for extension of stay) is 1,900 baht

The cost of a multi re-entry stamp is 3,800 baht

An extension of stay would be until the day before you last entered Thailand.

It appears there are some nasty, greedy people in that office.

See other post where 20,000 baht was apparently demanded for restamping a visa in a replacement passport.

They also ask for money from elderly people doing the 90 day report.

paulfr:

It should be ready for pickup this afternoon, but from the replies it seems not only was I ripped off to the tune of 5,800 baht but I also lost out on three monthsworth (or one-quarter of the legitimate 5,700 cost) of existing visa value...some 7,000 baht of the 11,500 handed over.

If so, let the lesson for today be: Never trust a Thai that smiles and says no problem!

Thanks guys, and hopefully the next wide-eyed longstay farang reads this thread before stumbling into that hive of thieves.

keda

I've never had any problem with the Soi 8 (Pattaya) Immigration. Always quote the correct price (which is posted on the wall outside the office), and always treat me with unfailing courtesy.

Maybe you didn't have the full requirements (800,000 in a Thai bank account, proof that it came from abroad, and a doctors certificate), and they allowed you to get the extension without these for a small amount of "tea money".

BTW I got my 2nd retirement extension yesterday, and I am now allowed to stay until September 2005.

Umm, ok, got my retirement visa...gosh it makes me feel old at 54...

Dated today, 24th August, and valid until 15 Aug 2005, one year less a day from the date I last entered the Kingdom.

I voiced a mild objection that I was mislead about the expiry date, pointing out that I could have stayed here on my non-O visa until 14th November before applying for the 'retirement' extension. This brought a friendly response to the effect that the extension would still have been valid only until 15th Aug 2005, unless I left and reentered LoS before applying in November, in which case it would become valid to, as mentioned earlier, one year less one day from my last entry.

Oh well, live and learn, but at least I've learned something from the experience, and next year's extension will cost the right price.

evebee: Yes, I can accept the need for lubrication when papers are not in order, but I submitted evidence from my bank of more than the required amount on deposit, more than the required amount invested in a Thai fund from almost 3 years ago, long before I seriously considered retiring here, proof that it was all legally transfered from the UK, and also my condo ownership doc, which the lass seemed more than satisfied with. I wasn't asked for a doctor's certificate, but if the medical required for the Thai driving license is anything to go by (10-sec pulse check to confirm life) that would've been a doddle.

Thanks for your responses, gentlemen. Goes to show you can never be too careful in dealing with Thai officialdom, and if you're smart you'll know it is easier to learn from other peoples' blunders, so hopefully mine will save someone else some baht.

keda

I wasn't asked for a doctor's certificate, but if the medical required for the Thai driving license is anything to go by (10-sec pulse check to confirm life) that would've been a doddle.

I see you went for the long version of the medical.... I just told my wife I needed a certificate, and I had one a couple of days later.

I actually asked her to come with me to the hospital to get one - but she had a different idea. :o